Thread: Oil light blinks at low rpm's dipstick says full.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4

Oil light blinks at low rpm's dipstick says full.

I just picked up a high mileage z4 and sometimes at traffic lights the oil light will blink a few times and then go out. Oil is full. Suggestions?
    Thanks!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! That's likely a short; check the fuses. Take a look at the link below to our site's DIY tech articles on the E85 platform. Please let us know if you have any questions!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...W_Z4M_Tech.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2004 Z4R 06&12 Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by FordGtFan View Post
    I just picked up a high mileage z4 and sometimes at traffic lights the oil light will blink a few times and then go out. Oil is full. Suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Could be a faulty oil level sensor which is in the bottom of the pan.
    04R 3l 6 sp VF SC, custom ducting, alphaN, 2.62 pulley, multiport WMI,Severn Tuning(Pokeybritches), Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler/y-pipe, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.91 LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.Eibach Pro Kit,Koni Yellows.Megan camber arms. Carbon interior,SSK,UUC lines.CF aero. Poly bushings.

My Cars
    2007 750i BMW; 2003 Z4 3.0 BMW; 2002 Lexus LS430;
    Quote Originally Posted by FordGtFan View Post
    Thanks!
    The Oil Level light or the Oil Pressure light?

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
    The Oil Level light or the Oil Pressure light?
    That's my initial thought, could be improper viscosity oil used during last maintenance or oil change is needed?

My Cars
    '07 Z4 3.0si Roadster
    You said "high mileage" but didn't quantify it. As the mileage accumulates, the engine bearings get, er, "well broken in" and there is greater clearance between the surfaces and makes oil pressure more difficult to keep up, especially at idle when the pump is turning more slowly. I'm guessing that this only happens when the engine is fully warmed up and the oil has thinned. The light is just showing momentary drops in oil pressure. If it is just at idle, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the vehicle is otherwise running OK, the cheap solution is to use a thicker viscosity oil.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Have ever replaced the o-rings?,they can affect oil pressure,
    #5 here:http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2201

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    If you are getting the "red" oil pressure light blinking then you may have the following:

There is an oil squirter that spray oil up into the bottom of the cylinder, 6 in total (number 11 in graphic). It has a spring and ball valve to ensure that oil is only squirted when the pressure is above a certain level. The spring and ball valves sometimes fail, allowing oil to be always squirted and reduce the oil pressure in other part of the engine.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2167
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by keeton View Post
    You said "high mileage" but didn't quantify it. As the mileage accumulates, the engine bearings get, er, "well broken in" and there is greater clearance between the surfaces and makes oil pressure more difficult to keep up, especially at idle when the pump is turning more slowly. I'm guessing that this only happens when the engine is fully warmed up and the oil has thinned. The light is just showing momentary drops in oil pressure. If it is just at idle, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the vehicle is otherwise running OK, the cheap solution is to use a thicker viscosity oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post
    If you are getting the "red" oil pressure light blinking then you may have the following:

There is an oil squirter that spray oil up into the bottom of the cylinder, 6 in total (number 11 in graphic). It has a spring and ball valve to ensure that oil is only squirted when the pressure is above a certain level. The spring and ball valves sometimes fail, allowing oil to be always squirted and reduce the oil pressure in other part of the engine.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2167
    The oil squirters could be at fault if its a major problem, but at higher mileage it is somewhat common to see flickering oil pressure lights from time to time especially when idling.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!