Thread: Handbrake button issue

My Cars
    M235 | M3 | 325Ci

Handbrake button issue

So, the button on my handbrake handle popped out the other day, so the parking brake would not lock. The button has a long wire rod with a hook at the end of it, and behind the button is a spring and rubber grommet. I was able to mess with it, and get it back in place and re-engage whatever mechanism locks and releases the handle of brake. However, the button is now recessed in the handle further than it used to be, and after about a week it popped back out again. Once again, I was able to mess with it enough to get it working again.

My question -- If I remove the handle, will I be able to fix this properly, re-engaging the locking mechanism permanently and getting the button back in the right position? Or am I better off just buying a new handle assembly on ebay or from a local salvage yard?

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93

My Cars
    M235 | M3 | 325Ci
    I don't think the realoem diagram actually shows the part that is broken, however. The rod that the button goes on, which controls the release for the handbrake lever, is the part that is coming out. And that rod has on the other end a 90 degree bend down, and then a U shaped hook. I don't even see the other end of that rod on the diagram, only the part the button goes on. I am not sure what the other end hooks onto which controls the lock/release of the handbrake, and again unless I am misreading the realoem diagram, it does not seem to even show that part of the mechanism. That is why I am thinking I might just need to replace the handle with a new one, but maybe someone here has had one apart and knows if it is fixable?

My Cars
    1997 328is
    I've been through this. You are eventually going to have to replace it, it's a very easy swap and you have to worry about it anymore.

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    I have one laying around. Send me your address and you can have it. Pulled the parking brake from my track car this year and hung on to it in the event someone could use one.
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"

My Cars
    95 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by ovation1000 View Post
    I've been through this. You are eventually going to have to replace it, it's a very easy swap and you have to worry about it anymore.

I had the same issue and just replaced the entire handbrake assembly. I do not believe the "button" is a serviceable piece and requires full replacement to fix properly.