Thread: Steps involved in activating rear fog lights on Euro car?

My Cars
    E21, E30, E91

Steps involved in activating rear fog lights on Euro car?

Hi guys,

There's limited info from what I've found, but I have read that late Euro cars have provisions for rear fog lights.

Can someone explain to me what is involved? Are they pre-wired, meaning it's just a matter of dropping in a bulb or is there more that is needed? I appear to have a separate switch for them and the front fogs, which is why I ask if it's that simple.

Thank you,

Jeff

My Cars
    81 C1, 89 ix, 04 M3
    I would hope that all e21s have the wiring harnesses installed at the factory to include the fog light circuit but not sure. All of my late model 323i cars had the rear fogs.

The lense housing is different on non foggers (has an extra red reflector), as is the lenses itself. And there is a separate rear fog switch.

Might be tough to just "drop a bulb in" and make it work.

My Cars
    E21, E30, E91
    Quote Originally Posted by mossyoaks View Post
    I would hope that all e21s have the wiring harnesses installed at the factory to include the fog light circuit but not sure. All of my late model 323i cars had the rear fogs.

The lense housing is different on non foggers (has an extra red reflector), as is the lenses itself. And there is a separate rear fog switch.

Might be tough to just "drop a bulb in" and make it work.
    Just to clarify: your late model Euro cars had the rear fogs? That's what I have as well, a late-production 320/6.

So if that is the case, your cars were pre-wired?

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mossyoaks View Post
    I would hope that all e21s have the wiring harnesses installed at the factory to include the fog light circuit but not sure.
    RealOEM has different part numbers for rear fog lights/lenses and lists a "WIRING 2ND REAR FOG LIGHT" , PN 61121367796.

My early 323i has a separate harness and lamp for the rear fog and does not appear to have the front fog harness installed.

My Cars
    E21, E30, E91
    Yeah - my car is currently having front fogs wired up and there was no harness.

So I'm guessing we'd still have to build a harness, even if there was a spot for a bulb in the rear taillight (as opposed to the car already having a rear fog active and ready to switch on).

I went to test it out at the shop where the car is stored yesterday but the taillght bulbs were dead.