Thread: Say you put a BMW V12 in your Cobra replica

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308

Say you put a BMW V12 in your Cobra replica

If you did it might look like this.........

My Cars
    '91 e31 M70
    Let’s hear that thing with the side pipes!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    '07 e65|N62 - Alpina B7 - Black Sapphire|Black|Loaded|GONE
    '02 e46|M54 - Orient Blue|Beige|'Vert|GONE
    '00 e39|M52 - Anthrazit Metallic|Grey|GONE
    '01 e38|M73 - Anthrazit Metallic|Schwarz|Shadow-Line|GONE
    '91 e31|M70 - Schwarz|Schwarz|M70|FOR SALE

'13 328i Auto - Black Sapphire|Coral Red|Sport Line|GONE
    '05 545i SMG - Jet Black|Black|Bamboo Anthracite|GONE
    '07 335i Auto - Montego Blue|Grey|GONE
    '05 545i SMG - (Euro Delivery 7/22/05)|Black Sapphire|Auburn|GONE
    '97 528i Auto - GONE

My Cars
    97 850CI
    It took me a few minutes to figure out how the air travelled into the engine. I would like to know what numbers the engine makes.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    1992 E31 850i
    Heeheehee... That is me, and that car is mine. Just curious -- how did you stumble across my eight-year-old reveal thread?!? That used to be a great forum...

The M70 twin-turbo makes 491 hp / 576 lb-ft, dyno measured at the rear wheels. The setup is capable of more, but would require head studs and so forth.

Cheers, John

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Quote Originally Posted by dukegrad98 View Post
    Heeheehee... That is me, and that car is mine. Just curious -- how did you stumble across my eight-year-old reveal thread?!? That used to be a great forum...

The M70 twin-turbo makes 491 hp / 576 lb-ft, dyno measured at the rear wheels. The setup is capable of more, but would require head studs and so forth.

Cheers, John
    Nice numbers. Clearly you like to do things the hard way, as almost any other engine would have been easier to put in there. What computer/software are you using to run the engine?

My Cars
    1992 E31 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by 72tpik5 View Post
    Nice numbers. Clearly you like to do things the hard way, as almost any other engine would have been easier to put in there. What computer/software are you using to run the engine?
    It's running on an Electromotive TEC3R. The build is nearly a decade old now and I don't have time to use it much, but it still runs great. I originally built the car with a Ford modular 4.6L engine, which suffered an untimely demise due to oil starvation resulting from a bad oil pan design. After parking it for a while and getting mentally prepared for the rebuild, I was just in the mood to do something really different and unusual, and I've always liked cars with V12 engines. (At the time, I was daily-driving an E39 M5, but donor S62 drivetrains out of those were substantially more expensive at the time and -- as you guys joke around here -- four short.) The M70 is pretty anemic in stock form, which is why I worked with a builder friend of mine to hatch the twin-turbo idea. It really wakes that sucker up. I don't have the scale sheet handy, but if my memory is right the car comes in around 2400lb wet with me in the driver seat. It has an S6S 560 gearbox in it, bought NOS at the time. The engine block came out of a 7-series that was totaled in a rear-end accident. At the time, they were giving those engines away because no one had any use for them. I replaced intake gaskets, head gaskets, and all manner of other seals and whatnot. The block actually fit in the chassis quite nicely, and cleared the hood without any real problem. It even has the stock oil pan on it, which is above the main frame rails. I had to cut out one frame cross-member and move it forward eight or ten inches for clearance -- but it's just 4" pipe, so an easy cut-and-weld job. As you can see, I brought the intake charge air down the engine valley and then routed it in the "back" of the stock intake manifolds -- just to keep things from getting too bulky up at the front of the engine, where the body/hood slopes down. I dumped the dual throttle-by-wire setup in favor of a traditional cable-operated throttle body.

Once every year or two someone stumbles across a thread about the car, and sometimes I see it get dragged back into discussion -- it's always enjoyable for me when someone else "discovers" the screwball stuff I do when I manage to tear myself away from my desk. If I were nuts and had the time, I'd actually love to put a newer BMW turbodiesel under the hood of my beater E31... Sacrilege, right?!? That's how I roll...

Cheers, John

My Cars
    are slow
    Turbodiesel>>>non driving or parted out.

I'd take the Nein 11 over many other cars.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    I think it is an awesome build. I asked about the computer you used as I dream of a simpler 850. I would love to strip everything out of my 850, and start over. Distributor delete, single MAF, and throttle body like your build. Your idea of the new turbodiesel in your 8 is not sacrilege to me. I too, march to the beat of a different drum. Automobiles are machines to be enjoyed, and making them my own has always been the source of enjoyment to me.

My Cars
    00 740i S,08 CRV,95
    I originally built the car with a Ford modular 4.6L engine, which suffered an untimely demise due to oil starvation resulting from a bad oil pan design. Cheers, John
    My Cobra with a 351 Cleveland had the same issue. The factory pan design could not handle the g-forces. You could through it around and watch the oil pressure drop to nothing. I ordered a road racing pan and problem was solved. Nice build by the way.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Quote Originally Posted by rdorman View Post
    My Cobra with a 351 Cleveland had the same issue. The factory pan design could not handle the g-forces. You could through it around and watch the oil pressure drop to nothing. I ordered a road racing pan and problem was solved. Nice build by the way.
    Light car + wide tires = plenty of grip. But it does open a whole new can of worms.

My Cars
    1992 E31 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    I'd take the Nein 11 over many other cars.
    I had to Google this -- and sift through a few really distasteful Hitler and 9/11 image results to find what you were referencing! https://www.facebook.com/Ferkel911/

Funny thing is, I have an old Jetta TDI sitting out in the weeds somewhere, donor for a long-forgotten project... I wish my old 993 was still in my garage, but that went on down the road many moons ago. All those LeMons guys are hilarious.

Cheers, John

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308

Cheers, John

I found it here: http://www.dpccars.com/gallery/index...in-an-AC-Cobra

My Cars
    1992 E31 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by tvjake2 View Post
    Thanks, I'd never actually seen that, so I appreciate the link. I know the red '30-something Ford that comes up in the gallery after my car, which was built by Bill Neumann of Neuspeed -- he was very friendly to talk with when I was working on my build, and it was his CNC piece to mate the 560 transmission output to a standard Ford-style driveshaft.

For what it's worth, here's my original thread over on the (old / now unofficial) Factory Five forum:
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...ds-pg-4-a.html

Unfortunately, that place is pretty much a ghost town now, and the advertising makes it nearly impossibly slow to browse through if you are not registered / signed in. Although I was once very active over there and considered it my favorite stop on the internet, it kind of died out during some ownership changes and the genesis of FFR's official ("new") forum -- I haven't posted on the FFCars site in a year or two. If you can bear the slowness of browsing, that thread has a video clip of the car on the dyno, or driving, or maybe both. Same pics are there, with a little more detail about the build and specs. I managed to do most of the physical work myself as far as getting the engine and transmission into the chassis, but engine wiring and tuning isn't my thing -- that original thread credits my friend Wayne Presley (shameless plug: http://www.verycoolparts.com/) for breathing life back into the modified M70 and making it all work and drive again. If you read Grassroots Motorsports, you have probably seen his name in the pages there -- he's done their Factory Five 818 build and serves occasionally as a factory hot shoe out on the track, and has had a couple other projects mentioned in the pages as well. He's like magic when it comes to reliable forced induction.

So who has put a recent 335d or 535d engine in anything else? This actually has me thinking / daydreaming... I believe there are manual transmissions available that will bolt right up. Controlling the engine is another matter, and I wonder how well (or badly) the factory ECM would work outside of its regular chassis... If I did that transplant into my E31, I'd have two M70 blocks and an S6S 560 available to sell afterwards. Hmmm...

Cheers, John
    Last edited by dukegrad98; 09-26-2017 at 06:35 PM.