Thread: No power steering in my 2003 BMW 530i after power steering pump replacement

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i

No power steering in my 2003 BMW 530i after power steering pump replacement

So, I just did the oil filter housing gasket repair and I also noticed a big power steering leak, so I replaced the power steering pump, power steering resevoir, and the two return hoses that hook up to the resevoir. I doubled checked and made sure I put everything back on.Then, I filled my car back up with coolant, oil, and power steering fluid. Now I don't have any power steering at all, when I try to move my car up and down the driveway? The good thing is, I finally see no coolant, power steering fluid, or oil leaking underneath my car. Was there any steps I missed doing? Any recommendations that you all have in mind? Thank you.,

2003 BMW 530i automatic by the way.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Did you bleed the system?

Remove the return hose from the reservoir. It’s the forward hose, coming from the radiator, and into the bottom center of the reservoir. Have something ready to plug the reservoir pipe, and catch any residual fluid in the reservoir. I used a rubber cap, designed to cap off vacuum lines, and a couple of shop rags. You’ll need a new hose clamp.

BTW, this center clamp allows a leak to develop. Best to replace it anyway.

Fit a length of rubber hose onto, or into, the return hose so that you can route it into a catch can of at least two quart capacity. I used a cut-off bleach bottle, since, being white, it is easier to do the next step, as well being an easy target for the stream of fluid.

Fill the reservoir with new fluid. Have both bottles of ATF open and handy. With one hand on the hose, aiming into the bucket, and the other on the bottle of ATF, have a helper start the engine. Keep pouring ATF into the reservoir until fresh fluid comes out into the bucket. Then shut off the engine, reattach the hose, and top up the reservoir.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdude11 View Post
    Then, I filled my car back up with coolant, oil, and power steering fluid.

2003 BMW 530i automatic by the way.
    Did you really use power steering fluid? That is probably the issue, as it is supposed to be automatic transmission fluid in the power steering reservoir.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer
    AudioControl EQL equalizer

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
    Did you really use power steering fluid? That is probably the issue, as it is supposed to be automatic transmission fluid in the power steering reservoir.
    Double that!
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    The 2003 530i uses CHF Pentosin steering fluid. It's a green bottle with green coloured fluid. Older E39's use ATF.

- - - Updated - - -

Try this. Jack up the front end only and turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock without the engine running. Do this a couple of times and check fluid level. Then start the car up and turn the wheel again nearly lock to lock but slowly. Do this plenty of times and see if that helps. Don't forget to check fluid level. You will see tiny bubbles indicating air still trapped in the system, but eventually overtime it will go away and the sterring will feel a lot better.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Seeing lots of conflicting info on the CHF vs. ATF on the '03 models. The fluid in mine is red, not green.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I had no issies using the CHF green fluid since it's the oe fluid during my steering overhaul.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    I had no issies using the CHF green fluid since it's the oe fluid during my steering overhaul.
    Yes it is, I heard it was for cold climate countries at first like Scandinavian countries, etc. Since you did it as a full flush and fill, there should be no issues, you should just never mix the two as that's what would cause problems.