Thread: Strange electric issue memory seat resetting

My Cars
    BMW E39 '01 530i M

Strange electric issue memory seat resetting

I have an 01 530i sport

It has the 3 slot memory seat.

The issue is that when I'm sat in the car with the igntion to the off position or with the key out, wait for maybe even just 10 min (may be longer or shorter. Haven't timed it) the memory seats slots are all reset to the position I'm in at that time.

If I leave my key in and turned to anything but off, no problem. If I get out, lock the car and leave it for a week, no problem. If I take out the key, open the door but stay inside the car, close the door and lock myself in, no problem. Also this next part I'm a little uncertain about, but sometimes when I'm working on my car I open it, open the windows, leave the car unlocked so I can get things like my phone or keys from inside easily without putting my grease hands on the door handle. So the car is unlocked with the key out and I may work on my car for a few hours like this and the memory seat does not reset.

Is anyone familiar with the wiring and electrical system behind this that might be able to make sense of what's happening here?

Cheers in advance

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    What's a 3 slot memory seat?

Measure the battery voltage. S/b 12.6.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    2003 525iT, 2008 328xiT
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    What's a 3 slot memory seat?

Measure the battery voltage. S/b 12.6.
    I beleive he means the buttons on the door which allow you to have 3 seat/mirror/steering wheel memorolies set.

But yes low voltage can cause very odd behaviour in these cars. Check the battery voltage. I know when my car drops below 11.8 I have some strange issues, and they always seem to be different.

And from what he is saying about being in the car whwn it happens and after 10 or more minutes, i would suspect he has the radio or other electronics on that cause the battery to go low voltage.
    2003 525iT Automatic, Topas Blue Exterior, Gray Leather Interior, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, M 3 spoke Steering Wheel.
    2008 328xi E91 (wagon) Automatic, Barberatot Metallic Exterior, Terracotta Leather Interior.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    I'm not entirely clear on the conditions in which you think you lose seat memory.

If the car is left to sit, door open or closed, the car goes to sleep. When asleep the memory buttons won't do anything. Then when a door is opened, the car wakes up and memory buttons now operate the seats.

Could this be what you're experiencing?
    Regards
    RDL

My Cars
    2003 540i6
    My car did that when I first got it. It happened a few times randomly over a period of a 2 or 3 months. The issue kind of went away on its own.
    2003 540i/6

My Cars
    2003 525iT, 2008 328xiT
    Quote Originally Posted by rdl View Post
    I'm not entirely clear on the conditions in which you think you lose seat memory.

If the car is left to sit, door open or closed, the car goes to sleep. When asleep the memory buttons won't do anything. Then when a door is opened, the car wakes up and memory buttons now operate the seats.

Could this be what you're experiencing?
    He is stating that if he shuts the car off and continues to stay in the car and waits 10+ minutes all of the seat memories change to the position the seat is in even though 2 of the other positions were set differently.

It is probably a low voltage issue. I know mine looses the memory if my car drops below 11.8v

And i figure (and i could be wrong) that if he is sitting in the car he has the adio on listening to it. Where in the other senarios where it keeps the memory for the seats he would not be listening to the radio.

Again My guess week battery. Or grounding issue making the battery look weeker than it really may be.
    2003 525iT Automatic, Topas Blue Exterior, Gray Leather Interior, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, M 3 spoke Steering Wheel.
    2008 328xi E91 (wagon) Automatic, Barberatot Metallic Exterior, Terracotta Leather Interior.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by schatzy62 View Post
    He is stating that if he shuts the car off and continues to stay in the car and waits 10+ minutes all of the seat memories change to the position the seat is in even though 2 of the other positions were set differently.
    But I was uncertain how Luked89 was determining the memory positions changed to all identical. If he waited long enough for the car to go to sleep while sitting in the car and then pushed one of the other memory buttons the seat would not move - because the car was asleep. It would then seem that all memory buttons had set themselves to the same position.

Since he appears to be new, it seems plausible that he isn't familiar with some of the details of seat memory. And I noticed that seat memory is described as working correctly in other circumstances.

I should have mentioned that a test of this scenario would be to try using the seat controls. If it was a case of the car being asleep, they wouldn't work at that time either. However opening a door or using the key would wake the car and enable the memory recall.
    Regards
    RDL

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by rdl View Post
    But I was uncertain how Luked89 was determining the memory positions changed to all identical. If he waited long enough for the car to go to sleep while sitting in the car and then pushed one of the other memory buttons the seat would not move - because the car was asleep. It would then seem that all memory buttons had set themselves to the same position.

Since he appears to be new, it seems plausible that he isn't familiar with some of the details of seat memory. And I noticed that seat memory is described as working correctly in other circumstances.

I should have mentioned that a test of this scenario would be to try using the seat controls. If it was a case of the car being asleep, they wouldn't work at that time either. However opening a door or using the key would wake the car and enable the memory recall.
    I'm with RDL ^^^^
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    BMW E39 '01 530i M
    I definitely don't have any knowledge on the workings of this system. However im not mistaken and I didn't leave anything out like leaving the radio on, which I noticed someone mentioned.

Let me try to explain a little better here

If the key is on or in the center position for an hour, this problem does not occur.

If I get out and lock up, this problem does not occur.

If I trick the car into thinking I got out by just taking out they key, opening then closing the door while staying inside (no not using the radio) no problems there either.

This only happens when I pull over and turn the key to the off position or take it out. No radio no lights and 10 mins later put the key in go for my memory seat and it's all reset to whatever position I left it in.

Hope that's better explained.

Also I have a brand new battery and alternator. This issue existed before and after getting those
    Last edited by Luked89; 09-27-2017 at 06:30 PM.