Thread: New wagon intro and log

My Cars
    95 525t, 94 525, 87 325

New wagon intro and log

Hello everybody, I figured I would introduce another touring to the forums...

I purchased the car back in late April from a local guy after seeing it on the side of road. I wasn't really in the market for a car, but this thing was just calling my name and how often do you come across a black touring for sale? Besides, my Saab 9-5 was starting to make some noises and I didn't want to start throwing money at it. Saab has since been sold about a month ago.

Some quick pics a few days after purchase...

It was in desperate need of some love. I wish I had taken photos of the rough areas after purchase but I quickly got parts to fix some of the more immediate items. Bad seat twist in driver and passenger seats. Most of the cooling system was immediately replaced. Engine needed a new belt tensioner. Yes, the drivers low beam is cracked. I picked up an assembly from a yard and put it in. Double sunroof mostly works despite one function. The sunroof makes quite a bit of noise when driving though. A full overhaul of the double sunroof will happen with headliner and roof rail restoration. Lots of other bits that I am forgetting.

Front end was shot and needed replacing

There are some items on the list still...
    New fuel pump, I uploaded a video not too long ago about how noisy it is.
    Diff is leaking just a little bit
    Rear windows are not exactly on track
    Power locking woes
    Power steering leaks a little bit
    Lots of other little things

It has been a long time since Ive posted something this extensive. I started a 'comprehensive style 5 wheel refinishing thread' back in Dec/Jan 2016, but I had been eyeballing a 1987 e30 euro convertible just down the road from my house in Portsmouth, and I finally negotiated the owner down to what I considered a reasonable price for a car that didn't run. I learned a whole lot about the e30 chassis and became a total lurker of all the e30 subforums out there. I may post updates about this car too since I never really created an intro thread for it.

I still have that beige 525i for those that remember me from Bimmerfest East 2013 & 2014.

I hope to use this thread as a place to log the work done on my touring (and vert). Many respects to other forum members who have detailed threads on their 'builds'. I am terrible with updating my forum threads, but I will do my best to keep updates on this car!

Thanks for looking,

Skunka
    Last edited by skunka; 09-24-2017 at 07:18 PM. Reason: pic links were dead! sorry!

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Yes! Keep that thing alive! Myself just got back from a 4-day trip to acquire a black E34T. Much like yours - the parts that can't be replaced (body) are ok, but everything that can wear, has. I drove the new 525 home last night, drove my 544 (most of which is <7 years old and tight) earlier today, was reminded by how solid and pleasing these things are when sorted out, the suspension and steering in particular. Looks like you're well on your way to making yours drive as well as it looks.

My Cars
    95 525t, 94 525, 87 325
    Trying to find a solution to a slipping rear window. The window goes down fine but will not go up. Took the door card off and took off the little cover on the motor to find all gears perfectly intact. The problem is where the metal plate connects to the plastic gear. Any suggestions for increasing friction/connection besides drilling screws into it?

My Cars
    E34T
    Never done that myself, but see here.

My Cars
    95 525t, 94 525, 87 325
    Small update on the wagon... Finally made a purchase of a fuel pump and fuel filter and got the pump installed today. I hope that those doing this repair in the future are able to see this post for reference. I made a video of the old pump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meWWSndp94o
    As you can tell the pump is very noisy from outside the car and is annoyingly noticeable from inside the car.

After watching and reading a few sources of fuel pump replacements I figured I had enough to conquer the job. Real OEM gave this part number: 16147161387 and I ordered the bosch pump from ECS.
    (no particular endorsement for ECS, just happened to be the outfit I went through this time)

The pump came with two metal connectors and a small plastic plug to connect to the assembly. I thought that because my car was 11/95 production that it would of had the plastic connector that resembled what the fuel pump had. Unfortunately I was met with this:

I had to cut each wire and solder the wires to the clips included with the pump. The purple wire with 7mm nut is the positive. The brown wire with 8mm nut is the negative or ground. Be sure to connect the correct wire into the correct side of the plastic clip as once the metal connectors 'snap in', I see no way to remove the metal clips once they have been inserted.

I had ordered new fuel hose in case the old ones were deteriorated but mine were ok. Make sure to order new hose clamps for when you do this job.

Fairly easy to work backwards and reinstall what was disassembled. I also installed a new gasket for the fuel tank sender unit. The 7 or 8 bolts/nuts that secure the whole assembly into the tank have specific pattern (two of the bolts are closer to each other than the others).

Once everything is buttoned up turn the key to the 'on' position a few times (not cranking) and be patient. After 4 or 5 'on keys' of six or so seconds, my car started on the first try and showed no signs of hesitation.

I was very pleased after install. Noise from inside the car is completely gone and the car seems to respond nicely to a new and stronger fuel pump.

I am terrible at taking pictures during the install process but hopefully some will be able to read and gather information from this.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by skunka; 05-07-2018 at 06:47 PM. Reason: picture and comments

My Cars
    98' M3
    ohhh no no no! What is a wagon? Touring you meant

My Cars
    E34T
    Broken pics ITT.

My Cars
    BMW
    Black non-rusted out touring, you've got my attention! Congrats on the pickup, I'm looking forward to more of the resto/build!

-James

My Cars
    95 525t, 94 525, 87 325
    Time to update the thread... first off, I am absolutely terrible at taking pictures or videos during the process. Kudos to those who are able to put their dirty hands or gloves onto your phone/camera to document the process. The world and people like me are better because of it. I've determined that I'm just the guy that likes to wrench on his old bimmers when they need fixing or upgrades.

I bought the touring a little over a year ago and has always had an uncomfortable amount of noise from the front end. As mentioned previously, I bought the big Melye suspension kit and replaced almost every bit that touches the strut housing. Recently, the car had been making very worrysome noises over bumps and anytime cruising between 55 and 65 mph. I finally pulled the trigger on new Bilstein b4 touring struts, lemforder strut caps, and some other small odds and ends.

The process was very rewarding to complete as always... The two hardest parts were removing that damn 22mm strut nut and removing the big threaded collar that hold the strut in the housing. If your threaded strut collar won't come out, buy a giant pipe wrench (like 24 inch) and get that thing off. Compress the springs carefully; don't be dumb with how fast you tighten the big bolt or how you handle the spring.

Re-assembly was basically opposite from dismantling. You will be left with a shutter free car that loves to handle!

Check out how blown these struts were:

My only problem is that the front end is so much tighter, it makes it obvious that the rear end is very loose! Still need to install those rear subframe bushings and possibly install some poly sway bar bushings. I think the tourings already have the beefy sway bars?

Overall, my only regret is not changing out the struts sooner! Hope this helps anyone attempting this project!

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by skunka; 05-07-2018 at 07:09 PM.

My Cars
    E34T
    Tourings had a bigger front swaybar compared to sedans, except sport suspension or M5 of course. Sedans typically 23mm fore/15mm aft (some 18mm?), wagons 25/15. M5 N'ring 25/20 and the handling is a lot more balanced than stock. I had the latter setup on my 544iT.

Those blown fronts aren't Bilsteins, are they?
    Last edited by moroza; 05-07-2018 at 07:18 PM.

My Cars
    95 525t, 94 525, 87 325
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Those blown fronts aren't Bilsteins, are they?
    Nope, stock Boge. They were obviously replacements, and nobody put bump stops on.

Next on the list:
    1. new rear struts and mounts
    2. replace front and rear sway bar bushings (upgrade to poly?)
    3. replace rear sub-frame bushings (should I go poly with these as well?)

4. fix the damn rattle in the double sunroof. The rumbles and shuttering from the front struts used to get my attention, now its the sunroof!

My Cars
    '87 325is, '91 525i,
    It would be amazing if someone was skilled enough to design and 3D print replacement brackets for the sunroof. Mine rattles too and the bracket that’s cracked is riveted to the damn roof panel and to my knowledge, is not available separately.