Thread: Where is this clunk noise coming from?

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i

Where is this clunk noise coming from?

Hi,

MY car has been making a clunking sound when turning. The car doesn't make the noise when driving straight or braking. The noise is mostly made when turning left. I checked the suspension parts quickly and they all seem fine ( I pulled and tried the move the suspension parts but they all seem sturdy and don't make any noise). I also replaced the majority of suspension components last year (strut assembly, upper and lower control arms, tie rods, and the sway bar link). Any ideas what could be making this noise?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by master4200 View Post
    Hi,

MY car has been making a clunking sound when turning. The car doesn't make the noise when driving straight or braking. The noise is mostly made when turning left. I checked the suspension parts quickly and they all seem fine ( I pulled and tried the move the suspension parts but they all seem sturdy and don't make any noise). I also replaced the majority of suspension components last year (strut assembly, upper and lower control arms, tie rods, and the sway bar link). Any ideas what could be making this noise?

Thanks.
    Check cv joints

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i
    This might be a dumb question but does a rear wheel drive car such as mine have a cv joints at the front? Because that's where the noise seems to be coming from. Another observation is that I've noticed the steering wheel to viberate at any speed over about 60 km/hr.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i
    So I lifted the car on jack stands and removed the protective plastic cover to take a look and all the suspension parts seemed good; however, there was some noise that seems to be coming from the steering rack when turning the steering wheel. I removed the one side of the rack boot and the passenger side seemed clean and free of oil and grease but the driver side seemed to have quite a bit of grease and maybe a little bit of oil as shown in the pictures below. Does this grease mean I have a leaking seal in the steering rack? Would this cause the noise?

20170930_122140.jpg

I couldn't upload the other images on here but here are the links to them.

https://ibb.co/iDxGkb
    https://ibb.co/nd7SrG
    Last edited by master4200; 10-01-2017 at 04:55 PM.