Thread: A How To Question for the Group....

My Cars
    840+S550 AMG+CanAm RS-S

A How To Question for the Group....

I need to make an adjustment to my rear view mirror and I need to move the mirror base from the windshield down about an inch...does anybody know how to remove the base from the windshield without doing any damage to the base or the windshield?

FYI-I’ll reveal the reason why I need to do this after the mirror adjustment is done.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    I would try Dental Floss or take it to a auto glass installer, They're some local to you, That glue is said to hold up above 2k pounds, So be careful.

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    No way dental floss will work. There is almost zero chance of getting it off if it is the original mounting tab. If it is aftermarket glass, then maybe, but still risky.

TBH, I wouldn't even bother. You are very likely to break the glass attempting this. I would be surprised if you could find anyone to take it to that would assume the risk.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Have you tried it?? If not oem glue it has worked, Best way for the strong stuff is to apply butane heat to the bracket, Not the glass, Keep in a circular motion with the heat and it will fall off. seen this method at most auto glass installers when doing modulator repairs, I would hope since you absolutely know what doesn't work that you'd be constructive with something that does.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Ain't gonna happen. I watched a guy try it on a Ford Mustang and it literally broke out part of the glass. I wouldn't try it, especially at the cost of the windshield.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    witnessed it already, On youtube also, May not be for everyone but the installers remove it from the damaged windshields this way without causing more damage, Not saying it's the only way but works.

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by 8eights View Post
    Have you tried it?? If not oem glue it has worked, Best way for the strong stuff is to apply butane heat to the bracket, Not the glass, Keep in a circular motion with the heat and it will fall off. seen this method at most auto glass installers when doing modulator repairs, I would hope since you absolutely know what doesn't work that you'd be constructive with something that does.
    I have and I needed a new windshield. I am just trying to save the OP from making a small annoyance an expensive problem.

A lot of the after market glass comes without the button, so I could see a shop pulling it from a piece that is already cracked or will be once it is cut away.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    840+S550 AMG+CanAm RS-S
    Quote Originally Posted by 8eights View Post
    witnessed it already, On youtube also, May not be for everyone but the installers remove it from the damaged windshields this way without causing more damage, Not saying it's the only way but works.
    I saw this on YouTube also but I was worried about putting too much heat on the windshield which may affect the protective sheet...FYI I have used dental floss to successfully remove the rear trunk emblem on my DD but wasn’t successful with the mirror. ��

My Cars
    1994 e31, Porsche Macan
    Mine simply fell off one day, I assume from 20+ years of sun heat. Took it to my local Saf-T-Glass store and they glued it back on for free! Great customer service. They may also know how to get one off easily.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Yeah, unless they fall off by themselves, you are not going to get that connector lug off the glass.
    I tried it once... ended up with a big hole in my windshield where the lug once was. Not pretty, not fun.

Not sure exactly why you want to move it down an inch, but I suppose you could buy another lug and glue it below the current one and snap the mirror onto that, leaving the original intact. If I absolutely had to do this, that's what I would do.

You could *maybe* soak a rag in acetone and wad it up over the lug and duct tape it on there for a while and wait for it to soak... that's the only thing that will actually affect the cyanoacrylate bond. This will work if you soak it long enough, but be careful not to get the acetone on plastic parts, vinyl, etc...
    Last edited by cartoonz; 09-27-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci
    Information at your own risk and all that....

The glue is usually a cyanoacrylate derivative (superglue). Just twist it as the rotational shear strength is not that great. You're not going to damage the glass as its a lot stronger.

After that you can use razor blade or acetone remove the remnants of the glue if there are any.

Ask a glass guy (glacier?) They would tell you what to use. Normal superglue might leave bubbles and white powder afterwards...

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by affa View Post
    ...You're not going to damage the glass as its a lot stronger....
    Famous last words from someone that's never done exactly that and broken the windshield.
    You *may* be able to do that after a serious acetone soak, but if you try it without you're playing Russian Roulette with 5 of 6 chambers loaded
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    94 840ci
    Yeah I wouldn't risk it.. My buddy tried it on the bronco before i bought it from him. He took out a chunk of the windscreen and then BAM, the whole thing cracked up and down.
    Road Cruiser: 94 840ci
    Track Toy: 04 SVT Lightning
    Offroader: '90 Bronco EB

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Ron:

Ask a windshield installation company how you might accomplish it. They may have an idea.

My Cars
    840+S550 AMG+CanAm RS-S
    Quote Originally Posted by tvjake2 View Post
    Ron:

Ask a windshield installation company how you might accomplish it. They may have an idea.
    Thanks Tom...I’ve been thinking that should be my next move.