Thread: S54 impressions

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T

S54 impressions

Never driven an E46 M3, but lots of E30 and 36 M3s. I am aware of the differences. I fell into a screaming deal on a COMPLETE S54 "take out", so ............ bought it. My questions are about the following;

1) What is the real world powerband like? I don't completely trust dyno charts unless I am there to see them generated. More curious about torque that hp.
    2) In a non-M install (a swap into something else) what is the strongest manual to us? I have a ZF320 sitting in my shop and would be happy with that if it will take the power.
    3) In daily driving, what sort of highway and mixed driving MPG can I expect?

Frankly, I am thinking about swapping it into an E39 Touring. NOT interested in the V8. If that is not viable, I would buy an E36 that needs an engine and swap it in.

So, smarten me up.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well make sure you get the complete wiring harness and DME. There are companies out there than can remove the EWS requirement from the DME.

1. It really starts at 2k with the torque, and come 4k is when the HP really start to pick up. It will pull all the way to 8k redline very nice.
    2. Not sure on this one, sorry
    3. That would depend on which car you put it in. I get an average of 21 MPG with a 30/70 mix more to highway.

If that motor has or is near 100k it would be worth doing the bearings while you have it on a stand.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Well make sure you get the complete wiring harness and DME. There are companies out there than can remove the EWS requirement from the DME.

1. It really starts at 2k with the torque, and come 4k is when the HP really start to pick up. It will pull all the way to 8k redline very nice.
    2. Not sure on this one, sorry
    3. That would depend on which car you put it in. I get an average of 21 MPG with a 30/70 mix more to highway.

If that motor has or is near 100k it would be worth doing the bearings while you have it on a stand.
    Well, the story behind this engine is the following -- it is being pulled with it's broken six speed manual to make room for a Chevy V8. (I am pretty sure he does NOT know what he is getting into.) The US CarFax shows that the bottom end recalls have been done as it is a 2002 year model engine. At 130k miles it is not using oil and reputedly runs well. With first, third, and fifth inop in the box, it is not currently being driven. The engine is coming out of the car COMPLETE with intake air box all the way to the exhaust header flanges !! Harness and DME included. At this point, I don't even have a car lined up to put it in, but the price is stupid low. Let's just say I am getting the long block assembly for a good price and ALL the rest is free. I had to do it.

After I get it, frankly I plan on offering the whole mess for sale at a profit. If the price is not met, I will either find a clean E46 Touring in need of an engine, an E36 sedan or coupe to build a stealth super M3, or pull the 2.5 M54 and automatic out of my 2002 E39 Touring.

As for what I will do with it mechanically will depend on a compression test before it's removed, then a leak down test once I have it in my shop, freshen ALL the bottom end bearings, and update the lubrication system to post 2003 specs.

Wherever it lands, it will be fun.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I have been thinking about dropping in a M3 6-speed into the wagon for awhile now, as the manual 325i wagon has the 3.46 diff and at 75 MPH is am turning 3.5k rev and it's annoying.

I would pop open the trans to see what is going on, or it can just be one of the shift/locking pin gone bad.

If you want to have lot's of fun, I would toss that motor into an E-30 post 87 since it would be easier to wire in. Of course it would be a fun to get all the linkage fabed in.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    NOT going to put it in an E30. I have worked on SO many E30's and just don't want to go through that. I know a local guy who did a beautiful jib doing that swap, and after discussing what he had to do, I just want to be able to drop an S54 into an engine bay that had an M52 or 54 already in it. "Plug and Play" sort of thing.

The transmission does not come with the engine, so somebody else will have to figure out that thing. Sadly, the six speeds have a questionable reputation, but the second overdrive would be nice. As for putting the S54 into E39 Touring, I will have to research the diff and other components in the driveline. All things considered, the idea of turning an E46 Touring into an M wagon may be the easiest.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    You won't be the first person to do the S-54 swap into a E-46 wagon, there is a guy out in California who has done several and pass the smog and all.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    I have an S54 in an E36 M3 and it's California-smog-legal. The smog part honestly isn't that hard.

The powerband is pretty nice. Torque comes on around 2k and is pretty flat to redline. However, there isn't much of it. I would not pick an S54 for a DD motor over a V8, personally, UNLESS you want to rip it to redline all the time.

I used the ZF310. It's fine. Many E46 M3 racers switch to the ZF 5 speed for weight savings without going through gearboxes-- again, not much torque.

I get high teens low 20s MPG, but honestly I don't care. This car is mostly a for fun vehicle so the gas cost is irrelevant. I will say my DD (Chevy SS) gets worse mileage.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    I have an S54 in an E36 M3 and it's California-smog-legal. The smog part honestly isn't that hard.

The powerband is pretty nice. Torque comes on around 2k and is pretty flat to redline. However, there isn't much of it. I would not pick an S54 for a DD motor over a V8, personally, UNLESS you want to rip it to redline all the time.

I used the ZF310. It's fine. Many E46 M3 racers switch to the ZF 5 speed for weight savings without going through gearboxes-- again, not much torque.

I get high teens low 20s MPG, but honestly I don't care. This car is mostly a for fun vehicle so the gas cost is irrelevant. I will say my DD (Chevy SS) gets worse mileage.
    Given that the E39 Touring is 3800 pounds, and is sort of my DD, I may plant the S54 in an E46 Touring. Headers, cat delete, track pipe with a mellow muffler, and a tune from Active Autowerkes, and that should be a hoot.

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Hey bud, I can edit your DME for a swap so let me know if you're interested. I've completed a few.

As for power, gearing will move things around a bit, but the S54 has a nasty midrange you'll really enjoy for daily driving. Everyone knows the top end is good too. Its not a V8 down low, but theyre not normally tied to those kinds of needs.

Depending which the transmission you decide on, 3:46-4:10 diff should be used.
    Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 09-26-2017 at 11:29 AM.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
    Hey bud, I can edit your DME for a swap so let me know if you're interested. I've completed a few.

As for power, gearing will move things around a bit, but the S54 has a nasty midrange you'll really enjoy for daily driving. Everyone knows the top end is good too. Its not a V8 down low, but theyre not normally tied to those kinds of needs.

Depending which the transmission you decide on, 3:46-4:10 diff should be used.
    I have a ZF320 laying around, so may use that.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Update ---

1) The E46 Sport Touring I used to own will be mine again. Last slug of money will transfer hands Monday/Tuesday. Paperwork is already on its way. After the last few bucks, I will arrange for commercial carrier to bring me the car.
    2) Got the engine and EVERYTHING else (except the horns !!!) out of the donor. Damn, the engine is a LOT bulkier and heavier than an S52 !!
    3) Compression test was great (before I removed it). HOWEVER, as a 20 year SnapOn dealer I learned how worthless THAT is and how important a leakdown test is. Comp test was 175-177 psi over all six. BUT .... I got excited when #1 and 2 had 4 and 6% leak down. When I got to #4 it was 90% !! I tried to clean off the exhaust valves with some carbon cleaner, but that only took it to 40%. ANd #5 was 30%. So, the head is now off and Noland's Head Service in downtown KC. GREAT shop.
    4) So, what is the SAME between an S52 and S54?
    a) Same number of cylinders
    b) the gasket behind the very similar oil filter housing
    c) Cast iron is used in the blocks
    d) Ummm ................ Oh, they are both twin cam four stroke engines
    e) The end !!!!!!!!!
    5) Seems that parts are stupid expensive. Not surprised.
    6) Seems that there are TWO types of torquing procedures -- one for BEFORE mid December 2002 and another after. The changed the rods. Different rod bolts -- yup. THe document needed is BMW Service Information Bulletin SI B 11 04 04. It details everything. And Turner sells the trick shit rod bearings. They are WPC treated and the bomb. I downloaded it to a memory stick for use in the shop.
    https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...BoCEW4QAvD_BwE
    7) Beisan has fantastic tutorials for the VANOS and solenoid pack. I downloaded them to a memory stick and used it on my laptop in my shop. LIFE SAVERS.
    8) Bentley manual has almost no information on S54s, but ..... GOOGLE !!!!!!!!
    9) Basically the entire engine will be rebuilt EXCEPT rings. The compression test, dry exhaust ports, and dry carbon build up on the pistons pointed to good rings. And at almost $200 (per hole !!!), some money is being saved. If I planned on racing it, I would do that. The bores look perfect so .................

So once this is done, my finished product will probably consume about $12K, car and all. Worth it? Damn !!! I HOPE SO !!! Should be. As far as I know, it will be a unicorn in the KC area.

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Cool post - check out M3 forum for more solid info too

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
    Cool post - check out M3 forum for more solid info too
    I did.