Thread: Rear door lock actuator. Good or bad?

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp

Rear door lock actuator. Good or bad?

I have this situation. When I open car - driver side rear door wouldn't open 9 times out of 10. It will close though.
    I removed door trim and it works every time.

Question is: Is it binding and I need to adjust/lube something?
    Or: It's "lazy" or "dying" and actuator itself need to be replaced?

Any good DIY on refreshing/lubing/rebuilding those? I will have all door cards out, so it's a good time to take care of those locks.

Anything else "while there" ?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello - take a look at the link below to an earlier thread where this is discussed. Hope this helps you and best of luck!

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ctuator-repair
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Hello - take a look at the link below to an earlier thread where this is discussed. Hope this helps you and best of luck!

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ctuator-repair
    Thanks! It's a good info. Is there same/similar DIY but for new actuators? My car is 94, I believe it's "newer" style.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by katit2 View Post
    Thanks! It's a good info. Is there same/similar DIY but for new actuators? My car is 94, I believe it's "newer" style.

That was the only one that I found on the E34 - you may be able to find others; try doing a search across the entire forum.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Nothing found. But I checked in Russian internet and found video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfNRkd6thQU

Which points to those motors:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-DOOR-LOC...-/121568942836

Not bad, under $20 to rebuild all 4 actuators

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    In case you go the route of buying new actuators, I can tell you that the Dorman brand ones are actually VDO items in the package - for much cheaper than from VDO themselves. I've got all four new ones ready to go in to my car. The mechanical parts are fairly easy to lubricate when you've got them out. The other part of the central locking system is the microswitches in the mechanisms in the front doors. If they're not all working correctly then you'll have behaviour like unlocking works fine but locking does not.

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    While we're on the subject of doors and associated parts, I have come across the Dorman brand for parts like window regulators, and now actuators. I had to replace two regulators this past fall. My choices were OE at $150 each; Dorman at $48 each, OE used between $50 and $75 each. I got lucky and scored a new, old stock OE for $50 and got a used one with motor for $60. I did not go for the Dorman parts because I figured you get what you pay for and decided that the new Dorman parts were probably made in China and not the highest quality. I also picked up some new VDO actuators for about $115 each. They are marked as being made in Germany. I go for the more expensive parts on the theory that they are higher quality and will likely last longer. I loathe doing repairs twice because parts fail prematurely; it ends up being as expensive and definitely more aggravating, especially doing actuator and regulator repairs. Now, I am beginning to wonder if these more expensive parts are really that much better than aftermarket like Dorman. Made in China does not necessarily mean inferior quality as long as good manufacturing standards are met. So, the question is: is quality significantly different among BMW/VDO, VDO, and Dorman/VDO choices?

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    I know I'm crazy I am taking all 4 actuators out and going to rebuild them. All I'm going to do is replace $20 worth of motors and lube. Lube dries out, motors work harder... I took one actuator apart just now and there is nothing "special" there, probably 10 minutes to rebuild one. I will keep old motors and will take rear one apart, but from seeing that video above it's just electric motors rusting inside and going out, becoming lazy.

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    Do a writeup like the other guy did for the early actuators!

BTW - I checked my Dorman-boxed VDO actuators. The boxes say made in Germany. I got them from Amazon.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Will do. If I get it to work. I rebuilt all of them but now central locking doesn't work. Some doors unlock and then immediately lock back. I tried to reset central locking per Bentley instructions but it didn't work. Actuator electronics is pretty simple, there is nothing to "fry" there. It's just switches and motors.

Anyway. Now I need to figure out what did I break. And then I will post instructions on how to rebuild them..

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by katit2 View Post
    Some doors unlock and then immediately lock back.
    I get this sometimes too. I haven't figured out what it is. My guess is microswitches. I'll find out soon because I've got a full set of new actuators and microswitches to go on the car soon.