Thread: Question about the hitch harness

My Cars
    BMW X3 E83

Question about the hitch harness

Good morning,
    We just bought a 2006 X3 E83 1 1/2 weeks ago. It has 87k miles and is in great shape. It was from a dealer and it took two weeks to fix the rear wheel speed sensor and the rear axle shaft. It had to be replaced because it showed a few warning lights.
    We like the X3 because it is small enough to use it as a daily driver and it is big enough to tow a boat.
    Currently the car does not have a hitch, but I would like to install the following one:

ECS Tuning Part# ES#185398

I believe that thread is the right one about installing it:

https://xoutpost.com/articles/x3/bod...h-2006-x3.html

It comes with the wire harness, the round connector and the adapter for the 4pin connector.
    I was reading that you need to plug in the harness into the white box that comes with it and also into a connector in the back of the passenger side.
    So, now to my questions:
    - what is the white box for ?
    - what signals/information is send between the trailer and the car ? Is it just the lights and turn signals or does the car now that a trailer is attached and it changes the way it
    is adapting the xdrive and the braking ?
    - I tried to take a picture of the connector that I think is the right one. Could someone verify that it is the right connector?

Thank you so much for your time and help!

Pfalezer

ES#185398
    Last edited by Der Pfaelzer; 09-25-2017 at 08:12 AM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    A couple things to consider. What are you going to tow, the x3 has a pretty short wheel base. How much can it tow. If you need it for a bike rack. you don't really need a full blown hitch. The wiring harness can be a pain to install and you may have to retro fit the soft ware. So i had a customer with a e53 x5 v8, he calls one day to say he bought this brand new Yamaha boat. He tells me which one it is so I can research putting a hitch on the x5. It's a hugh boat. After doing the research we find out there is no way the x5 going to tow the boat. I call him and tell him. He says so I have a new boat andd nothing to tow it with. I say your are right, he went out and bought a ford or chevy truck.