Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Dynavin e39 head unit compatible with e38

My Cars
    328Xi, 740iL, 330i

Dynavin e39 head unit compatible with e38

Hey, long time stalker.... first time typer. The Dynavin double din touch screen head unit that keeps coming up in my cro-magnon ability searches only fits an e39 (5 series). My quest for a head unit that has touch screen , Bluetooth , AUX without re-constructive surgery of the dash and H-Vac has been futile. After buying my wife a e92 328Xi and hearing the stock system, she gave me the go ahead to give the 740iL the sound the car deserves. My past e32 had Mq Quart 8" in the kicks , EQ in the door pocket , 4 PPI amps on 1" Plexi with 2 15" McCauley's that did 146db that won car stereo competitions . I have always loved the look of my e38 blk/blk 740iL sport that I have had since new but, the tunes were pathetic much to my chagrin. Please dumb this down for me. I'm looking for a head unit that accepts new inputs that I can dump all the junk in my trunk ( cd rom, cd changer, squirrel powered amp ) to build a decent platform for a proper system.Is there a e38 specific deck that fits the bill? I'll keep it business in the front and party in the back.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The Dynavin is a double-DIN (DIN: German Industrial Standard) head unit. So, the physical requirement is that the E38 “hole” for the head unit is also double-DIN. Next, you’ll need to make sure the new head unit’s line level outputs are compatible with the amps in your car.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

The Dynavin N6 is a single DIN chassis with a car specific sized and shaped 'faceplate' stuck on the front. I do believe that in the E38 and over different model years and the fact there's left and right hand drive versions, that also the shape of the airbox/ducting etc that these unit's don't quite fit properly. Check the E38 section on this site for 100% confirmation. Of all the Chinese made replacement type head units, the N6 is the 'best' choice but ONLY if purchased from Jeff at J&T Distributing in Fresno CA if you are in the USA (which you are) He's the only one offering proper after sales care and support should you need it. These are still cheap chinese units after all, even if you look away from the 'retail price' of them. Similarly, their internal electronics are 'generic' or 'low level' grade, so if 'sound quality' is on your radar, then any chinese unit isn't going to suffice, especially by looking at what you've installed previously.

Have a look through the E38 section again and perhaps look to the Parrot Asteroid Smart unit (I run this in my E39 and I'm very happy with it indeed!) and also the Alpine iLX-007 - these are both shallow depth double DIN units. Alpine have also released their 2nd gen head units that are shallow depth as well. These units will give you stellar sound quality and higher end audio system features like Parametric EQ and Time Alignment built in. With the Parrot Smart, you can 'add' a good processor if you wished. Although you won't retain the OEM look, you'll get everything else in high quality and performance.

Given the aftermarket industry moves quite fast, keep a lookout for any E39/E38/E46 generation cars new products for new head unit integration options

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    328Xi, 740iL, 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi,

The Dynavin N6 is a single DIN chassis with a car specific sized and shaped 'faceplate' stuck on the front. I do believe that in the E38 and over different model years and the fact there's left and right hand drive versions, that also the shape of the airbox/ducting etc that these unit's don't quite fit properly. Check the E38 section on this site for 100% confirmation. Of all the Chinese made replacement type head units, the N6 is the 'best' choice but ONLY if purchased from Jeff at J&T Distributing in Fresno CA if you are in the USA (which you are) He's the only one offering proper after sales care and support should you need it. These are still cheap chinese units after all, even if you look away from the 'retail price' of them. Similarly, their internal electronics are 'generic' or 'low level' grade, so if 'sound quality' is on your radar, then any chinese unit isn't going to suffice, especially by looking at what you've installed previously.

Have a look through the E38 section again and perhaps look to the Parrot Asteroid Smart unit (I run this in my E39 and I'm very happy with it indeed!) and also the Alpine iLX-007 - these are both shallow depth double DIN units. Alpine have also released their 2nd gen head units that are shallow depth as well. These units will give you stellar sound quality and higher end audio system features like Parametric EQ and Time Alignment built in. With the Parrot Smart, you can 'add' a good processor if you wished. Although you won't retain the OEM look, you'll get everything else in high quality and performance.

Given the aftermarket industry moves quite fast, keep a lookout for any E39/E38/E46 generation cars new products for new head unit integration options

Cheers, Dennis!
    Dennis, Thank you so very much. It normally doesn't take me as long as it has to get a solid answer on a project and you have given me the ammo needed to move forward. I very much appreciate it!!!.
    The Dynavin gives the cleanliness I'm looking for in the dash ( if it fits ) than the others you mentioned, though the sound quality is also a big hit. I may consider suffering some from output quality but, may make up for it on the amp/speaker side. I lean towards big power to clean up low performance in other areas.
    I'll get ahold of Jeff and see what they can enlighten me with.
    Cheers , Tim.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    AvinUSA just released a Android unit that fits the e38.

https://avinusa.com/avant-3-for-bmw-...on-system.html
    Last edited by MJ DOOM; 10-04-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    Spaceships & Woodgrain.