Thread: 1998 M3 manual convertible top manual release for tonneau?

My Cars
    1998 M3. 1999 740i Sport

1998 M3 manual convertible top manual release for tonneau?

Help! I have a 1998 M3 cab with a fully manual top. Meaning no motors at all: you release the windshield latch, push the top back, then get out, raise the rear, reach in and unlock the tonneau, raise it, then fold the top back and the tonneau latches when you shut it. Easy enough (trust me, its easier when you do it. About 10-15 seconds max).

Anyway, I rarely put the top up/down and a few months ago I got caught in the rain and put it up. I went out to the garage today to put it down to take a drive and found that the tonneau lever has no resistance and the passenger side is unlocked and the drivers side will not unlock to raise the tonneau. I tried everything, jiggling the top to engage the microswitches, holding down on the tonneau, etc. Somehow I need to access the latch inside the tonneau cover or a cable. It isn't entirely manual, since BMW in its foresight included tons of small microswitches to make this more complicated and what I think is happening is the car thinks the tonneau is unlocked already, because one side is and hence, will not release the locking mechanism on the other side. The red lever under the backseat has no tension on it and releases nothing.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello - can a look at the link below to a tech article from our site on troubleshooting/repair of the E36 top. Hope this helps and best of luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...onvertible.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    The boot lid motor in the trunk should be disengaged when you pull that lever. I would check this.

If you open the trunk and pull the grey covering off the insides of the trunk on the left drivers side you will see the motor and brackets where the cables connect to. You can disconnect them from there if you need too. I have a convertible and I hate the soft top. They cause nothing but problems due to their age. Your situation is a perfect example of why I hate them. I bought a hardtop and took the soft top and its frame out completely. If I want to drive with the top off, I take the hardtop, wait for a nice sunny day and take it out for a drive. You can't beat the look of a hardtop vert e36, if done right:

If you fiddle with this stuff long enough you'll figure it out:

Last edited by 328iFun; 09-24-2017 at 08:48 AM.

My Cars
    1999 318IC
    my roof is original manual (unlike broken automatic) passenger side tonneau latch won't release , think the bowden cable is broken as driver side does release
    how do I get that latch to open from the trunk ? remove back seat ?
    TIA

My Cars
    328i,740i,e36 m3 x2,e46
    I tried to fix my fully electric top for 3 hours then installed an assembly from a 318i, fully manual, so I will never ever have to deal with that breaking again. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Quote Originally Posted by Melloyelloww View Post
    Help! I have a 1998 M3 cab with a fully manual top.

Thanks!
    Guys, he has a full manual top!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only micro switch is one that will prevent the trunk from opening if the tonneau is open.

The handle by the speaker pulls a cable that goes to the dead center rear of the tonneau well. From there two cables come out, 1 to each side lock. Sounds as if the cable to the driver side lock has failed etc. I cannot think of a way to access without cutting something you do not want to cut. I would remove the speaker cover and the lateral panel. See if you can gain any visual inspection or grabbing of the driver side latch. You could cut a hole from the trunk side to where the junction box would be and cut the driver side cable. The locks are spring loaded to be unlocked so releasing the cable should open the lock.
    Last edited by 66 6; 06-01-2018 at 02:02 PM.