Thread: No idle

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320i

No idle

Ever since I bought my little 320i, I've always been having little issues with my idle. It started with the hot starts, and then a new fuel regulator later, the cold starts became an issue, but I could start it about three times while pumping the throttle and it would go, but without monitoring the revs, it could stall out on its own. Once the car would get to operating temperature, then I would finally be able to drive normally.
    Now the car acts like there is no idle at all, and I will constantly hold down all three pedals just to brake to keep the engine running.
    If anyone else has had this problem before, please feel free to chime in.
    I believe k-jet systems had no Idle Control Valve, so I may just have to tighten the throttle cable a bit and check sparks to make sure I'm not leaning out, correct?

EDIT: I will be doing a valve adjustment this weekend because she's starting to tick like a sewing machine again. But I'm not sure if this would play into the idle issue. Then again, they did start around the same time.
    Last edited by Drew320; 09-22-2017 at 05:57 PM.

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320i
    Update: took the car out to dinner, put in 3/4 quarts of oil in it on the way and the idle magically came back...
    Car had plenty in it, the oil just came shy off the bottom marker.
    Cold start issue still persists..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    I'd be looking for vacuum leaks.

Max

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl556 View Post
    I'd be looking for vacuum leaks.

Max
    Hey max, thanks for the input, I replaced all of the vacuum hoses about a year ago, so I'll run a soapy water test when I get off of work tonight.

The really interesting but is how after adding that 3/4 quarts of oil the engine seemingly "forgot" about its idle issue?
    It makes no sense to me..

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Intake manifold gasket leaks, power brake booster leak(usually hear a hiss),non seal on the oil add cap,non seal on the oil dip stick, valve cover-loose, valve cover gasket is cracked-admitting air, Vacuum leak covers a lot more territory than hoses. Too low of compression will stall a motor as well.

Whats the condition of the tune up items, Spark plugs and the wires,fuel and air filter and those items?

Is the car timed and valves adjusted ?

Many problems with cars are solved by tune up parts,timing and such.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 09-23-2017 at 03:04 PM.

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by 320iAman View Post
    Intake manifold gasket leaks, power brake booster leak(usually hear a hiss),non seal on the oil add cap,non seal on the oil dip stick, valve cover-loose, valve cover gasket is cracked-admitting air, Vacuum leak covers a lot more territory than hoses. Too low of compression will stall a motor as well.

Whats the condition of the tune up items, Spark plugs and the wires,fuel and air filter and those items?

Is the car timed and valves adjusted ?

Many problems with cars are solved by tune up parts,timing and such.

Randy
    Thank you for clarifying for me Randy.
    When we replaced the head gasket about a year ago, everything was resealed and the related rubber bits (including vacuum lines) replaced.
    I ran a quick test earlier on the 25th with some soapy water. (it also gave me an excuse to do some cleaning in there haha)
    Air looks good.

Tomorrow ill check the sparks and fuel.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Is there an issue with cold starting, or cold idling, or both?
    Did you do that valve adjustment?
    Tbd

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320i
    Found the culprit. The valve cover gasket was leaking so there was a vacuum leak. (Thanks again Randy) I guess that makes sense as when I would put in more oil, it would temporarily block the air leak as it just leaked oil instead.
    I used an elring valve cover gasket, (not sure if they're any good but I won't miss the eight bucks if it is total garbage.
    While the valve cover was off, I checked the rockers to see if they had any play and everything seemed A-Ok. Maybe the extra valve noise was just a little more air inside the head than it should have had instead of oil?
    Regardless, now my m10 is running strong and is idling correctly.
    Thanks all for the input.