Thread: Car Train Malfunction

My Cars
    2011 X3

Post Car Train Malfunction

I own a 2011 X3 F25. I've had it for almost 3 years now almost 65k miles on it mostly highway driven.
    Drove it to work yesterday morning drove perfectly fine as usual. Left work was going home and car turned on perfectly fine but the check engine light came on and gave me the car train malfunction and my gear would not shift from park to drive. Had to clear the message and it then drove perfectly fine.

Any idea what could have caused it and is it something that I should worry about it and take it in to have it looked at?
    I no longer have a warranty on it so I don't know if I should take it to the dealer or go to any mechanic shop?

HELP!!!!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! If you're not able to look at it, I would recommend finding a good, trustworthy indy shop and have them run the codes.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

I would buy a plug in code reader, they are only 20 to 50 dollars. My experience with the 2011 and forward year x3 models is the check engine light does come on more than any bmw I've owned. The only thing which shows is a misreading o2 sensor on my x3 occasionally . In the past 2 months my light has been on twice. I checked everything I could to make sure I wouldn't aggrevate any real issue and continued to drive since there was no change in operation other than the light. The first time it went off after 4 or 5 short trips. The second time the light came on last month after getting a car wash. Thar one stayed on about a week and threw no codes. Did I mention, BUY A CODE READER. Avoid the stealers..
    SIDE NOTE :My girlfriend brings her car into the dealer she got it from because her right front wheel squeaked when the brake was applied. They convinced her it needed to be hooked up to their 'diagnostic' computer for 120. It showed nothing. She called on the way home and told me what she did. I was pissed not so much at her for not recognizing a brake wear indicator, but at the dealership. I know I'm verbose, but I say get a code reader and verify anything they say. You have a awesome vehicle, and the mileage you have you should not have any problems until your turbo blows.
    I had your gear train issue once after going through a heavy rainstorm which kicked in the stability control due to my driving. You'll know when it does this because it will blink while occurring. My light stayed on a bit after that too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dano1200r; 09-25-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    Using Tapatalk