Thread: turn signal and stereo stop working.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il e38 4.4V8

turn signal and stereo stop working.

hello there everyone, i had my 1999 740il out in the rain the other day and i was just sitting there with the stereo on and car running and the stereo just shut off. i had tried seeing if the buttons for it on the steering wheel would wake it up and nothing... i then later went to go turn and my turn signal wasn't making a ticking sound, and there were no lights turning lights on the dash but from the outside they were working. i later was at the stop light and i could see the car in front of me and my hazards were on all of the sudden... i thought i bumped the button but nope. i was then making my way home before any other weird stuff went down, i made it to a parking lot and the hazards stopped blinking... but i take a look at the back end of the car and the reverse lights are on. any idea why this is happening or has anyone else had this happen to them before? i did notice in the dark part of the rubber trim by the fuse box under the hood is smashed in some and i did notice some water on the box i was thinking that might have something to do with that? also when i was pressing buttons on the air con the radio would come back on line and so would the turn signals when the switch is activated, and when the turn signals stop working so does the radio and the other way around. hopefully somebody has a answer, any ideas will help thank you.

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Check for water in the passenger footwell area.
    Issues like the reverse lights being on lead me to think about water damage to the LCM, which is located to the right of the passenger footwell.
    The most common cause of water getting there is a blocked forward sunroof drain. The drain should exit to a channel above the windshield, under the rubber trim above the windshield.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    This sounds more like water getting in the cabin, a common problem when the sunroof drains clog. Have you noticed any water on the passenger floorboard? When the drains clog, water can run down the A-pillar and behind, and inside, the glove box. The General Module is up and behind the glove box and there is a main fuse block and splices under the passenger seat that are often victim to this issue. Also check the trunk area on the drivers side where the audio components reside. A leaky taillight seal will allow water in that area also. I would recommend checking for signs of water in these areas.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il e38 4.4V8
    thank you guys for your replies, i looked everywhere in the cabin area in the foot wells were dry... so i decided to look in the boot where the battery is and there was all kinds of water that had got in and at first i thought it was coming from this rubber grommet but it was actually coming in where that big bolt goes to hold the battery down, for what ever reason it was just laying there either it rattled out or myself most likely cause i had been having to swap batteries from car to car few months back so.... yeah probably forgot to put that thing back in there haha duuuuh!! so i guess what we have learned here today is if you're coming across this problem... make sure that bolt is in there or you will get water everywhere inside the fender well area. but anyway i got the heater on blast and got everything exposed so hopefully that is it, been running the stereo for about 25-30 minute and the radio hasn't died so we shall see how it goes but i am pretty sure that will fix that issue... ill keep a eye back there to see if water keeps coming in there or not. thank you guys for your help ������

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il e38 4.4V8
    alright so the other day i took the car to go get it washed and i found water in around the same area as before but the car wasn't acting all weird, so im not sure where its leaking in from the bolt not being in the hole might of been part of the problem but theres still a leak somewhere around the battery area. trunk seals look good, maybe the wiring grommet that feedings into that area isnt fully sealed shut anymore and is running on the wires into the trunk? ill have to check and see maybe pour some water in around there and see if it leaks on in. also my head liner in the back is starting to sag... those lights on the inside of the quarter panel they come off easy? need to take those out and the grab handles so i can spray the 3m adhesive and smooth everything back out to normal.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by meetmy740 View Post
    alright so the other day i took the car to go get it washed and i found water in around the same area as before but the car wasn't acting all weird, so im not sure where its leaking in from the bolt not being in the hole might of been part of the problem but theres still a leak somewhere around the battery area. trunk seals look good, maybe the wiring grommet that feedings into that area isnt fully sealed shut anymore and is running on the wires into the trunk? ill have to check and see maybe pour some water in around there and see if it leaks on in. also my head liner in the back is starting to sag... those lights on the inside of the quarter panel they come off easy? need to take those out and the grab handles so i can spray the 3m adhesive and smooth everything back out to normal.
    Do you have OEM taillights or aftermarket tails?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il e38 4.4V8
    yeah iv kept the car all original, and also we just had another rain storm i live here in oregon so its rains a lot besides the summer. so i parked the bmw with the nose slightly down hill as it was down pouring and when i opened the door on the drivers side there was a lot of water coming in right where the hood latch is.... was pretty disappointing to see.... i am missing the upper trim piece for the window ever since i picked the car up few months back and i got the replacement in the trunk i just havent put it in yet... but yeah there was so much water coming in i thought i was going to have to borrow a life raft to get back to work. so yeah like the guys above have said there's the problem... but still the trunk be getting water too but ill have to check again cause im sure some made it back there again after that.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Sunroof drains. In the front, the water goes down the A pillar when drains are clogged.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il e38 4.4V8
    so to clean those out how would you go about doing that?