Thread: 5 Point Harness install points on Roadster

My Cars
    2006 325i

5 Point Harness install points on Roadster

I have a Bride Lowmax seat installed and a Hard Dog roll bar with harness bar on the way.

When mounting my 5 point harness, where should I put the bottom 3 straps?

I am thinking about drilling through the trans tunnel, the floor for the ASM, then the floor again for the left side lap belt. Or is there a simpler/better solution I am missing.

My Cars
    2006 325i
    Anyone?

My Cars
    3 Series
    You should be able to use OEM attachment points for your new lap belts, the roll bar crossbar for your new shoulder belts, and drill a hole and use a backing plate for your crotch strap.

My Cars
    2006 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by testify View Post
    You should be able to use OEM attachment points for your new lap belts, the roll bar crossbar for your new shoulder belts, and drill a hole and use a backing plate for your crotch strap.
    I cannot use OEM attachment points since they are on the OEM seat bracket, and I have an aftermarket seat and bracket.

Has anyone here drilled through their trans tunnel to make a mounting point?

My Cars
    3 Series
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoffin View Post
    I cannot use OEM attachment points since they are on the OEM seat bracket, and I have an aftermarket seat and bracket.

Has anyone here drilled through their trans tunnel to make a mounting point?
    What aftermarket seat bracket do you have? Usually they mimic the stock attachment points.

A Schroth 01324 kit should solve your problem though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=schr...&bih=280&dpr=3

If the belt does in fact attach to the bracket, you should be able to use those on the rear bolts that attach the seat bracket to the chassis.

My Cars
    2006 325i
    What aftermarket seat bracket do you have? Usually they mimic the stock attachment points.

A Schroth 01324 kit should solve your problem though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=schr...&bih=280&dpr=3

If the belt does in fact attach to the bracket, you should be able to use those on the rear bolts that attach the seat bracket to the chassis.
    It was a custom made bracket. I have an attach point for the right side lap belt but not the left.

Interesting idea about using the rear bolts to attach the lap belts to the chassis. In theory this should work, but will that not be too much stress on the bolts in the event of a crash? Since they are holding in both the seat and myself? I am no physics major so really have no idea.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iT Dinan S2
    I thought the lap points had to be mounted a few inches behind the back of the seat (further back than where the stock points would be). I mounted mine to the transmission tunnel and a corresponding point on the door side.
    - 2000 540iT Dinan S2 -2000 Z3 -

My Cars
    3 Series
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoffin View Post
    It was a custom made bracket. I have an attach point for the right side lap belt but not the left.

Interesting idea about using the rear bolts to attach the lap belts to the chassis. In theory this should work, but will that not be too much stress on the bolts in the event of a crash? Since they are holding in both the seat and myself? I am no physics major so really have no idea.
    If your OEM 3 point belt attaches to the seat bracket, and the seat bracket attaches to that point, then that point is designed to take the full weight of everything in an accident.

It probably wouldn't hurt to size a slightly longer, and higher grade bolt to replace the OEM bolt if you do end up slipping one of those brackets in there.

My Cars
    2006 325i
    If your OEM 3 point belt attaches to the seat bracket, and the seat bracket attaches to that point, then that point is designed to take the full weight of everything in an accident.

It probably wouldn't hurt to size a slightly longer, and higher grade bolt to replace the OEM bolt if you do end up slipping one of those brackets in there.
    Great, I think this is the option I am going to go with. 2 less holes to drill and things to potentially screw up.

My Cars
    3 Series
    Quote Originally Posted by spngr311 View Post
    I thought the lap points had to be mounted a few inches behind the back of the seat (further back than where the stock points would be). I mounted mine to the transmission tunnel and a corresponding point on the door side.
    Transmission tunnel would make me worried because the angle the strap will pull the bolt will create more of a slicing motion through the tunnel. I'd say it's probably fine, but something to think about. Maybe weld in a backing plate?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iT Dinan S2
    Should have mentioned, I welded in backing plates that had weld nuts on them. I forget which brand they were.
    - 2000 540iT Dinan S2 -2000 Z3 -