Thread: Fuse Box Cover - replacement

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi

Fuse Box Cover - replacement

The plastic fuse box cover on my CSi had a broken locking tab, which was repaired some time back but later broke again, at which time the tab also broke into two pieces!
    So I recently ordered a new replacement cover, with the (incorrect) assumption that it would come with the 'stick-on label' (list of fuses), as described in RealOEM parts listing, item 3.
    Sure enough, the new cover arrived minus the label, so I've now ordered the correct stick-on label, in English, per item 4 of the parts list.
    The old label appears to have some kind of clear sealing lacquer applied around its edges, as well.

The smaller, silver identification label on the original cover is specific to the car, listing the VIN and various Module numbers.
    So I'll need to carefully remove this label and transfer it over to the new cover.

The single locking tab appears to be a design flaw with this cover, which requires considerable force/tension to lock it into place and unlock it again, leading to fatigue and the tab snapping off (age embrittlement must also be a factor).

I note that the diagram in the parts list shows a double-tab configuration for the cover, which to me would be a better design.
    Is there such a beast, and has anyone got a double-tab fuse box & cover on their car?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kiwiCSi; 09-21-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    Current:
    1994 E31 850CSi Sterlingsilber/Anthracite Buffalo

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E23 M745iA Arctic Blue
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris
    1976 E3 3.0 Si Arctic Blue

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi
    Mine has been broken for years too, but have managed to successfully re-glue the locking tab every once in a while. Otherwise, yes...stupid design.

Is the silver VIN label not available for purchase? Please post when successful transfer and order of new labels is complete.

Which number on that list is the double tab lock? The smaller fuse box on the Left front wheel arch has a better designed locking tab (positive hinge lock), but I’ve even had to replace that once since the 2 small hinge tabs have broken off.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Yes, Bad design, If mine breaks, I would install a suitable small set of hinges in black, Would be an upgrade imo as well.

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
    Mine has been broken for years too, but have managed to successfully re-glue the locking tab every once in a while. Otherwise, yes...stupid design.

Is the silver VIN label not available for purchase? Please post when successful transfer and order of new labels is complete.

Which number on that list is the double tab lock? The smaller fuse box on the Left front wheel arch has a better designed locking tab (positive hinge lock), but I’ve even had to replace that once since the 2 small hinge tabs have broken off.
    I will try contacting BMW Classic about the VIN-specific label, as it's not shown in the parts listing and has no BMW part number printed on it.
    I ordered the item 3 cover from parts listing, which the accompanying diagram shows to be a double-locking tab design, but the part I received is the same single-tab design as the original cover.
    Will update you again once I have it all sorted.
    Current:

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiCSi View Post
    I will try contacting BMW Classic about the VIN-specific label, as it's not shown in the parts listing and has no BMW part number printed on it.
    I ordered the item 3 cover from parts listing, which the accompanying diagram shows to be a double-locking tab design, but the part I received is the same single-tab design as the original cover.
    Will update you again once I have it all sorted.
    To me Part #3 appears as the original. ie. the picture of the cover is 180degrees. The 2 tabs shown are the rear hinge tabs that interlock with the bottom part and can also can break off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
    To me Part #3 appears as the original. ie. the picture of the cover is 180 degrees. The 2 tabs shown are the rear hinge tabs that interlock with the bottom part and can also can break off.
    Yep, that could explain it - just to confuse us, they've shown the cover orientation as being 180 degrees out from the box!
    In that case however, the 'hinge tabs' should've been way smaller than those depicted in the illustration - see my pics above, for size comparison.
    Current:

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    Have now transferred fuses and removal tool over to the new cover, and affixed the new 'fuse-finder' stick-on label.
    Despite my best efforts, there were a few small bubbles remaining under the label, so I had to make some corresponding pin holes in the label to remove these.
    The new label does not have the factory BMW inspection stamp and check mark, which are clearly visible on the original.

Next problem is the VIN-specific label, which was very tricky to remove and unfortunately proved to be of a tamper-proof design....makes sense for security, I guess.
    The silver-foil backing has a 'checkerboard' pattern, which separates when the label is peeled off the old cover.

I've had no reply at all from BMW Classic as to whether this label can be reproduced - which is unusual, as they typically respond to such queries within a couple of days.
    So I figured one solution might be to paint the entire back side of the label in silver, which I've now trialled with some lacquer, but the color match is not quite correct and the partially transparent label still has that 'checkerboard' appearance.
    Next plan is to remove all lacquer and remnants of the backing foil and repaint it to achieve a uniform silver backing color, before fixing the label to the new cover with some good contact adhesive.
    The preference however is to obtain a new label, but that's looking unlikely.
    Current:

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    I've had no reply at all from BMW Classic as to whether this label can be reproduced - which is unusual, as they typically respond to such queries within a couple of days.
    I spoke too soon - BMW Classic replied today, saying that they are unable to reproduce the VIN sticker.
    Their advice is to reuse the label or make a new one and transfer the data to it.
    Current:

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris

My Cars
    1994 840Ci - M60, 6MT
    Next problem is the VIN-specific label, which was very tricky to remove and unfortunately proved to be of a tamper-proof design....makes sense for security, I guess.
    The silver-foil backing has a 'checkerboard' pattern, which separates when the label is peeled off the old cover.

So I figured one solution might be to paint the entire back side of the label in silver, which I've now trialled with some lacquer, but the color match is not quite correct and the partially transparent label still has that 'checkerboard' appearance.
    Next plan is to remove all lacquer and remnants of the backing foil and repaint it to achieve a uniform silver backing color, before fixing the label to the new cover with some good contact adhesive.
    The preference however is to obtain a new label, but that's looking unlikely.
    Love it - kiwiCSi, master forger

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by tangcla View Post
    Love it - kiwiCSi, master forger
    ....now officially sanctioned by BMW Classic!!
    Current:

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    Well, I found out that the remains of the foil backing cannot be easily removed from the VIN label, so I went with the brightest shade of silver paint I could find, to fill in the missing squares.
    The result is still a slightly 'checkerboard' appearance but, to the uninitiated, this could have been the original look anyway!
    Another job completed.
    Current:

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris