Thread: ECS Tuning Bronze Caliper Guide Bushing Install Issue

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe

ECS Tuning Bronze Caliper Guide Bushing Install Issue

These bushings came with the car when I purchased it, new in box. This is the first time they are being installed. I am trying to install them on a new set of calipers. My question lies in the rubber o-ring that you have to insert inside the bushing. Once I insert the ring, the guide pins provided no longer have clearance to slide through the bushing. It is a complete blockage and grease/lube made no difference. Has anyone had this issue?

My Cars
    99 M3

ECS Tuning Bronze Caliper Guide Bushing Install Issue

I've not installed these, however it appears there needs to be grease on the o-ring and guide pin. Then thread the guide pin into the o-ring and probably tap the pin in the remaining distance.
    Could remove the o-ring from bushing.

I have had to "ream" or "hone" caliper bushing bore to get them to fit without binding.
    I used a strip of emery paper in a very large cotter pin in a drill motor to "hone" the bushings till the caliper slides freely on the pins.
    In your case I would remove the o-ring and test fit the caliper/pins and 'adjust' the Bushings as required.
    I have seen the results of caliper bind and you don't want to go there.

http://enews.ecstuning.com/q/MCLXY-K...sUQrzUv3-tFkgg
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 09-21-2017 at 08:23 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    I've not installed these, however it appears the o-ring needs to grease the o-ring and guide pin. The thread the guide pin into the o-ring sand probably tap the pin in the remaining distance.
    Could remove the o-ring from bushing.

I have had to "ream" or "hone" caliper Bushings to get them to fit without binding. I used a strip of emery paper in a very large cotter pin in a drill motor to "hone" the bushings till the caliper slides freely on the pins.
    In your case I would remove the o-ring and test fit the caliper/pins and 'adjust' the Bushings as required.

All of the pins slide freely in the bushings without the rubber rings installed. I tried grease but there is still a blockage and zero clearance to push them through. It doesn’t feel like a binding due to close tolerances.

My Cars
    BMW 97 M3 3.2 Euro
    Interesting S50B32 just uses the pins. No bronze bushing.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I have these bushings.

Yes, the O-rings stick out a bit to far and make it difficult for the guide pin to get past at first. Just force the pins through a few times, either by screwing them into the caliper carriers or by tapping/pressing them through by hand, and it'll grind off the excess o-ring material and move freely enough. Once you can slide them through by hand, clean up the rubber debris on the pin and inside the bore, grease it up, and you should be good to go. I discovered this through trial and error after being confused as to what it was binding up on while trying to screw them in the first time. I just had several hours on the track with mine a couple weeks ago with zero issues.

For grease, I'd suggest a light coating of copper anti-seize as it seems that's what most people use on these, though any high-temp grease should work.

Oh, and make sure you regularly pull the guide pins to clean and re-grease them and the bushings. If it's a street car, at least as often as you change the oil. If it sees the track, clean them before every track day as well. You don't want one of these to seize.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 09-22-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe
    I ended up not using the o-rings. It’s a track car so I plan on cleaning the pins regularly anyways.

My Cars
    99 M3
    American Grease Stick Co. Sil-Glyde Silicone Brake Lubricant

My Cars
    BMW
    As TostitoBandito said, they are a SUPER tight fit with the o rings in place. On my car it took a ton of fidgeting to get everything set up with the o rings/seals/etc.

-James