Thread: RHD track car.

My Cars
    318ti

RHD track car.

Hello all. I have wanted to import an e36 to be my dd (designated drifter) simply because right hand drive is so cool. Then I looked at the prices...Wayyy too much. Then I had the idea "why not just swap lhd to rhd?". the car will be gutted and I plan on stripping the dash and welding in my own. What would I need in the engine bay to make this happen? rhd rack perhaps ?

My Cars
    E36
    "simply because right hand drive is so cool"

This is not going to be worth all the effort IMO.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    +1 unless you're really set on this, it's going to be quite the job and effort. Be prepared to spend some serious money finding the necessary parts and getting them to the States.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    just by reading this i can tell this will never happen

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    There was a guy selling one on the Middle Atlantic BMW Classifieds FB group. But yeah, think he wanted 5K. Was roasted pretty hard......... Didnt help that he was advertising it as "RHD JDM" since it was made for the Japanese market

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Mailman?

My Cars
    318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill837 View Post
    There was a guy selling one on the Middle Atlantic BMW Classifieds FB group. But yeah, think he wanted 5K. Was roasted pretty hard......... Didnt help that he was advertising it as "RHD JDM" since it was made for the Japanese market

5k doesnt seem that bad, I would pay that all day long. So many people replied, but no one answered my question... I didnt ask about money. I didnt ask about effort. I didnt ask about your opinion. I asked what parts ill need, so start listing them off you jabronies.

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    Name is Daniel Domovsky from Keyport NJ, cars a 92 325. I was mistaken, it's in EastCoast BMW Classifieds on FB. If you want, I'll message him and get his contact info.

RHD JDM E36 facebook is the search term I used to find it, was the first hit.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by peter glenn View Post
    5k doesnt seem that bad, I would pay that all day long. So many people replied, but no one answered my question... I didnt ask about money. I didnt ask about effort. I didnt ask about your opinion. I asked what parts ill need, so start listing them off you jabronies.
    Probably not that hard.

Start on real oem by looking up your parts nos and then doing part no application search to see if they also fit RHD. Should save some buying.

You'll probably need RHD exhaust manifolds or to make mods
    Last edited by E36328Coupe; 09-22-2017 at 09:23 AM.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    3 Series
    You will need all the RHD parts out of the RHD car.

It's going to be cheaper and easier to buy one that was built that way than to piecemeal them together.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by testify View Post
    It's going to be cheaper and easier to buy one that was built that way than to piecemeal them together.
    Hey, he doesn't care about cost, remember?

except in his original post, where importing one was too expensive.

OP just go digging through realoem and start recording p/n's.
    Last edited by Moron95M3; 09-22-2017 at 10:52 AM.
    1995 M3

My Cars
    F30 '14 328i Msport
    There's a lot to this project -- There's a few swap threats and threads on other forums that might help you out with the welding locations, etc.

My Cars
    318ti
    you spend too much time on here to not be providing anything helpful... @moron95m3

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    you spend too much time on here to not be providing anything helpful... @moron95m3
    So are you asking him to dig through realoem for you? Info is all on there bubba.

My Cars
    1997 328iC
    I didnt ask about your opinion. I asked what parts ill need, so start listing them off you jabronies.

Because thats how you get people to give you serious responses. The info is out there, ask your mom to hold your hand if thats what you are looking for.

Ive come to the conclusions that OPs account has GOT to be a troll account. Seriously, just look at the post history. Then to criticize people for not helping, when you yourself have never contributed a useful sentence to this community. All your posts are just topics that would take about 2 minutes of google to give you answers.
    Last edited by StealthBimmer; 09-28-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: OP is a twat
    1997 328ic
    1999 528i

My Cars
    E36
    You just make me rofl!!

quote "Reason: OP is a twat"
    1995 M3

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe
    I would have one imported. Sucks the E36 isnt like a volkswagen since those the firewall gets pulled and the new one swapped in which makes it very easy. I would contact someone like Orchideuro.com and talk to him about getting a rhd front clip which they will gladly import for you.

My Cars
    98 M3
    I'm just going to throw random guesses out here.
    Pedal box
    dash
    headlights
    steering rack
    steering column
    mirrors.
    center console
    exhaust manifold
    Go from there. Have fun doing it for less money than buying a RHD car.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthBimmer View Post
    Because thats how you get people to give you serious responses. The info is out there, ask your mom to hold your hand if thats what you are looking for.

Ive come to the conclusions that OPs account has GOT to be a troll account. Seriously, just look at the post history. Then to criticize people for not helping, when you yourself have never contributed a useful sentence to this community. All your posts are just topics that would take about 2 minutes of google to give you answers.
    lol did you post on here just to flame me? thats basically whats wrong with the forums. A guy like me can make a post asking a simple question, without everyone giving information on weather or not I should or should not do what I want. Just doesnt make sense why instead of making me look stupid, you could help me learn something... And yeah I havnt contributed anything to anyones threads because I dont have the knowledge yet, and If I did go ahead and post it wouldnt help out the thread poster. If you want me to spend my time getting on threads and compiling previous posts that dont help the tread just like you did here then I guess I could contribute a whole lot lol

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    lol did you post on here just to flame me? thats basically whats wrong with the forums. A guy like me can make a post asking a simple question, without everyone giving information on weather or not I should or should not do what I want. Just doesnt make sense why instead of making me look stupid, you could help me learn something... And yeah I havnt contributed anything to anyones threads because I dont have the knowledge yet, and If I did go ahead and post it wouldnt help out the thread poster. If you want me to spend my time getting on threads and compiling previous posts that dont help the tread just like you did here then I guess I could contribute a whole lot lol
    It's not a simple question. No one here will know just off the top of their head. When research is needed, and many people say look on realoem, and you post this:

that sense of entitlement will get you flamed. And frankly there's something to be learned from someone saying it'll be more trouble than it's worth.

But real answer, again, is look on realoem. Best way to learn for yourself, and there's no reason someone here should be doing it for you.