Thread: Potential Buy? '99 328i convertible - advice needed

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is

Potential Buy? '99 328i convertible - advice needed

My girlfriend has been looking for a convertible to drive in the summer and this just popped up locally: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

Looks like there are issues with the convertible top not working. Might be a switch issue? or bungees need to be replaced?
    I haven't gone to look at it yet but is the convertible top an easy fix?
    Obviously will have to ask about all the notorious problems like cooling system, automatic transmission, etc. but if I could get this for under $2000, I feel like that would be a win as it looks really clean.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Doesn't look to be that bad - the rust would be a main concern; check out how much there actually is. Top repair isn't too difficult, but can be a bit pricey. I'm attaching a link to our site's DIY tech article on the top repair so you can get an idea of the procedure. let us know how it goes if you decide to check it out.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...onvertible.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Doesn't look to be that bad - the rust would be a main concern; check out how much there actually is. Top repair isn't too difficult, but can be a bit pricey. I'm attaching a link to our site's DIY tech article on the top repair so you can get an idea of the procedure. let us know how it goes if you decide to check it out.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...onvertible.htm
    Hmm.. it does look like it can get expensive. Maybe I can use that to get the price down further. Thanks for the link.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapoosta View Post
    Hmm.. it does look like it can get expensive. Maybe I can use that to get the price down further. Thanks for the link.

Yeah, I would definitely use that and the rust factor to my advantage. Good luck!
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    02 525,01 X5,99 323IC
    I agree with Pelican on the rust. If it is visible on the outside, I promise you there is more on the inside that you can't see! Not a deal breaker, but worth checking out and negotiating accordingly. And the top not working-this can be something simple or REALLY complicated and expensive. I have 2 right now that are not working and on one I have gone thru everything I can think of including checking operation of multiple micro switches, changed out the control module, changed the main top motor, etc etc, and it still won't work as designed. Not looking for help on mine here, but want you to be aware that they can be a major pain. I operate mine manually until I can figure it out or god forbid, take it to the dealer. Manual operation isn't too bad. And remember, it is an almost 20 year old car. Due diligence is important and realistic expectations. Keep us posted. BTW, who puts a trailer hitch on a E36 convertible??? Pretty funny