Thread: MSpro vs MS3x - before I purchase!

My Cars
    87 BMW E30 w m50

MSpro vs MS3x - before I purchase!

So I'm in the process of an e30 turbo build, I'm running a vanos M50 in the car now. I'm going to be using Megasquirt, I've been doing a lot of research on it thus far but I'd love some opinions from people who have actual experience using Megasquirt on an M50/S50 engine. I have a few basic questions between the differences of different MS options before I purchase.

If I bought MS3x I'd get the assembled kit, cause lets face it, I'm lazy... but I'd still wire a harness out of an old ECU so it would plug and play. So lets break this down by cost vs. time.

MS3x: Prebuilt $650 + wiring and harnesses $110 + IAT sensor $24 + Spark Boxes (in order to run M50 coils) $180
    Total: Roughly $964ish

link to: https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...-57-assembled/

MSpro plug and play: $1500 total.

Link to: https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...w-e36-m50-s50/

Questions:
    With MSpro do I still need to buy spark boxes or coil drivers in order to run stock M50 coils? (I know thats a thing for MS3x)

With MSpro will I still need to put an 10k resistor on my crank sensor? (again I know its a thing on ms3x, but I'd assume since its plug and play they would have worked that out or they'd mention in on the page)

With MS3x is it easy to tune for water/meth injection? (they advertise this on the MSPRO page but I never seen it talked about with ms3x... This is something I'm planning for the future of the build so if this feature is much more simple with MSpro than thats a huge plus to me)

With MS3x would my stock MAF work just fine? I plan on running a blowthrough style system (MSpro has a built in MAP sensor that just needs a vacuum line to it, so that kind of eliminates the need for a MAF entirely... anyone running their M50 without a MAF on this system?)

Are they any other Major advantages to one over the other that I'm missing?

Do you think the Price difference is worth the lack of hassle and clean wire-free install of MSpro?

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    The plug and play is plug and play. You plug it in, and play. No coil drivers.

You can do everything with the ms3x that you can do with the pro.

You wont need a pull up resistor on the crank sensor with the PNP (well i hope not)

I can tell you that ive done probably 20 MS3x installs in m/s50 in OBD1 and OBD2 cars, and ive made alot of money doing it, but now that the PNP is available, i wouldnt do it again. Its a PITA to wire and id rather focus on tuning them.
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    87 BMW E30 w m50
    Quote Originally Posted by dburt86 View Post
    The plug and play is plug and play. You plug it in, and play. No coil drivers.

You can do everything with the ms3x that you can do with the pro.

You wont need a pull up resistor on the crank sensor with the PNP (well i hope not)

I can tell you that ive done probably 20 MS3x installs in m/s50 in OBD1 and OBD2 cars, and ive made alot of money doing it, but now that the PNP is available, i wouldnt do it again. Its a PITA to wire and id rather focus on tuning them.
    Awesome, thats exactly the stuff I hoping to find out. My time and headache is worth money for sure and thats kinda how I've been leaning. But I could be swayed haha

Did you use the stock MAF in your ms3x installs?

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMaxximus View Post
    With MSpro do I still need to buy spark boxes or coil drivers in order to run stock M50 coils? (I know thats a thing for MS3x)

With MSpro will I still need to put an 10k resistor on my crank sensor? (again I know its a thing on ms3x, but I'd assume since its plug and play they would have worked that out or they'd mention in on the page)
    Like DBurt86 said, both coil drivers and optimizing the sensor inputs for the BMW crank sensor are taken care of on the MSPNP.

Water injection and MAF support are the same between both versions; they run the same code. I wouldn't use the MAF here (MSPNPs can support the MAF, but the base tunes are speed density). You will need to make sure the MAP sensor supports the level of boost you want to run. The MSPNP Pro has a 4 bar MAF; the V3.57 has a 2.5 bar MAF standard with a 4 bar being an extra cost option.

Other things - knock input is standard on the MSPNP Pro and a $100 option on the MS3 V3.57.

But the main selling point for the MSPNP Pro is a clean, hassle free installation.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

My Cars
    87 BMW E30 w m50
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cramer View Post
    Like DBurt86 said, both coil drivers and optimizing the sensor inputs for the BMW crank sensor are taken care of on the MSPNP.

Water injection and MAF support are the same between both versions; they run the same code. I wouldn't use the MAF here (MSPNPs can support the MAF, but the base tunes are speed density). You will need to make sure the MAP sensor supports the level of boost you want to run. The MSPNP Pro has a 4 bar MAF; the V3.57 has a 2.5 bar MAF standard with a 4 bar being an extra cost option.

Other things - knock input is standard on the MSPNP Pro and a $100 option on the MS3 V3.57.

But the main selling point for the MSPNP Pro is a clean, hassle free installation.
    Okay awesome thats super helpful to know as well.. so your saying either route don't even bother running a MAF correct? Just use a MAP sensor instead, and a 4bar sensor comes internal with the pro.

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    You can run the maf. When properly setup, they work great. But there is a cost involved and setup time. A properly tuned speed density setup will run great. No reason to consider doing anything else.
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    87 BMW E30 w m50
    Thank you everyone for your help! Hope this can help clear up any questions for someone in the future. I ended up buying the MSPro PNP over black friday weekend from DIYautotune. I'm all set! Car is going to be going back together in the next couple months!