Thread: E36 M3 Turbo getting too much fuel under boost

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 3.0i coupe

E36 M3 Turbo getting too much fuel under boost

I've been trying to figure out this problem for months now after installing my turbo.

Car idles rich (11-13afr) on cold start. Once warmed up afrs go crazy going from one extreme to the other. Under boost the afrs are pinned at 10.0 causing it to break up.

Ive installed an adjustable FPR and is set at 44psi at idle and is solid. No boost or vacuum leaks, ive checked countless times. Spark plugs are ngk 4554 gapped at .24. Coils seem fine after testing. Only codes are mixture deviation in bank 1 as well as cat efficiency in bank 1.

Ive logged it with bmwlogger and my maf doesn't seem to show any values. It is wired correctly and all wires are receiving power. That to me is definitely a problem so i've checked my alternator and idk if its my multimeter is junk but it does jump around a bit but eventually settles at 14-13.8 volts.

Right now im suspecious of the alternator being bad. It is 140amp but an ebay brand the previous owner installed. I just feel the MAF isnt sending a signal to the DME. Ive traced the wires and they all seem fine and undamaged.

I just at loss and any recommendations or thoughts are apperciated.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    The alternator output seems fine, and as long as non-running voltage at battery every morning is about 12.4v, you should be ok.
    If you suspect the MAF, have you attempted to clean it or swap with a used salvage one?
    Have you observed engine behavior with MAF plugged in and also disconnected?

My Cars
    98 m3
    Who is your tuner l?

What happens when you unplug your maf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 3.0i coupe
    Yea, I don't want to get a new alternator unless I know for sure it is effecting things.

I'm using RK-Tunes, who I've been trying to get on the phone for a while now with no luck, still trying though.

The MAF (VMP) is new and I've cleaned it multiple times with MAF cleaner. If I unplug the MAF while the car is idling it instantly dies so I know it is doing something, just weird it doesn't show anything when I datalog.

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 08 535xiT
    An obvious question I guess but are the correct o2 sensors in the dp and exhaust? Do you have extras from when you went turbo, maybe swap them?

also that is 44 psi with the vacuum line attached I assume.

I am basically going through this same thing but i'm obd1

i wish you were closer i'd let you use my maf to check if it runs better, you know anyone else in the area that has RK?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Zit, is the MAF an OE or OEM replacement?
    Cheap aftermarket imitations are known to cause electrical gremlins to appear.
    Use of OE or OEM quality parts prevent electronic anomalies.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 3.0i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by vr6dubny View Post
    An obvious question I guess but are the correct o2 sensors in the dp and exhaust? Do you have extras from when you went turbo, maybe swap them?

also that is 44 psi with the vacuum line attached I assume.

I am basically going through this same thing but i'm obd1

i wish you were closer i'd let you use my maf to check if it runs better, you know anyone else in the area that has RK?
    I only run the bank 1 o2 in the downpipe and no post cat o2s since RK deletes the rest in his tune. I've swapped between the o2s I had with no difference.

And yes thats with a vacuum line on the FPR. I appreciate that, but yea I've only met a few local turboed m52 and s52s but no one with an RK maf unfortuntely.

I've definitely read a few threads on here with the same or very similar issue but there is never a solution or a clear one at that. I've tried most of the things mentioned in those threads with no success.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Zit, is the MAF an OE or OEM replacement?
    Cheap aftermarket imitations are known to cause electrical gremlins to appear.
    Use of OE or OEM quality parts prevent electronic anomalies.
    It's not OEM, it was supplied by my tuner and has to be used for his tune. VMP mafs seem to be reputable enough but you never know.
    1998 M3 Saloon, Turbonetics 6662, 10psi (for now), RK Tuned, DYIPSI Top Mount Turbo Manifold, Tial BOV and WG, Full Turbo Back 3" Exhaust

My Cars
    1998 528i e39 turbo
    Did you figure out what the issue was. I am having a the similar issue

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 08 535xiT
    My issue was a short in the 5.0V system due to a wire grounding out under the fuse box area.