Thread: 325i 2006 got rear ended, should I keep it?

My Cars
    325i 2006

325i 2006 got rear ended, should I keep it?

Guys,
    My brother in law got rear ended last weekend and I want to keep the car from insurance and fix it. From what I can see the chassis is not damaged and the adjuster confirmed it so all the bumper is gone but trunk keep opening fine and also tail lights are fine (thanks god it was an old civic that hit the car)
    So I think is an easy fix but I never done it before( I mean to put a branded car back on the road) is it hard to do?
    Please help me decide on this one, I am very handy, I had been seapping engine for my cars and electrical harness so I think I can do this.
    Car has only 174k km and very good shape interior

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Photos are necessary for anyone to give opinions. Being that you are a new member, you can't get upload pics, so host them somewhere (Flickr, ImageHostShack, etc) and share the link.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Photos are necessary for anyone to give opinions. Being that you are a new member, you can't get upload pics, so host them somewhere (Flickr, ImageHostShack, etc) and share the link.
    In my opinion the car will never likely resell now today for it's previous marketed value..before the accident. Any damaged auto becomes subjective to reduced value...inspite of how well up-kept and clean...Today, most will ask for the "CarFax" that will reveal history.
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 09-21-2017 at 03:26 PM.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    The general consensus is that a vehicle with a rebuilt or salvage title loses 50% of its value instantly. And many insurance companies will not provide full coverage either.

My Cars
    Yes, please.
    sometimes if the vehicle is 10 years or older at the time of "loss" the company will not issue salvage or rebuilt title. They will issue a normal title.

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    waitaminnit... the OP says he's not going to file a claim. Although the insurance company has been spoken to, it's unclear whether or not was his car or belongs to his bro-in-law. If the latter, insurance has only been informally contacted and thus I think (and could be wrong) that there will be no "salvage" stamp on the title. Only if a claim is paid, and the car rebuilt after, will title be blemished. Similarly, I don't think it will show up on Carfax, though I'm not certain of their rules (how would CF know?)

Someone here with a higher understanding of insurance IN THAT STATE is free to contradict me.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.