Thread: Quarter Panel Replacement or Repair?

My Cars
    04' 330xi

Quarter Panel Replacement or Repair?

Hello touring fam,

Usually just a lurker but today I need some help. A couple weeks ago my car got sideswiped while it was parked, nobody left a note. I turned it into insurance. They gave me a s**t value, and they wanted to total my car. Most of us know insurance companies do not care what enthusiasts will pay for cars. I wanted to argue that point. Long story short, they ended up cutting me a check for what I owed on the car, and let me keep the car, with a clean title. So I still have a damaged car. The affected areas were the right front fender, and the right rear quarter. A trustworthy local body shop confidently said it could be repaired pretty easily. They quoted me $1600. But to replace from a certified BMW dealer around ~$3500. I want the car to look right. I’m wondering if anyone has had any experience with either fixing or replacing the QP. It’s a a big job. I will attach a few photos also. You can kind of see how flat it is in the left/right comparison.. Any suggestions are appreciated.

https://membergeorge.smugmug.com/Damage/n-jB5wwc/
    Last edited by member george; 09-21-2017 at 01:16 AM. Reason: photos

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    Damn man, if this happened a month earlier, I could've chopped some sheet metal out of my car for you

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    2003 525iT, 2008 328xiT
    The body shop is probably going to source a replacement panel from a used car (crunched front end) and weld it into place. Or at least that is what they should do. Altbough it is a time consuming job its not reLly that hard. Any good body shop should be able to do that. Ask the body shop if the have other cars you can look at to see what kind of work they do.
    2003 525iT Automatic, Topas Blue Exterior, Gray Leather Interior, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, M 3 spoke Steering Wheel.
    2008 328xi E91 (wagon) Automatic, Barberatot Metallic Exterior, Terracotta Leather Interior.