RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Massive oil leak

My Cars
    1995 525i 5pd

Massive oil leak

Hey guys. First post here, but I've scanned multiple forums and couldnt find something that quite matched my situation; so I thought I'd post my issue here. I'm a past diy saab mechanic and have since moved on to bmws. I found a 95 525i 5spd on the side of the highway for 500 bucks and decided to start a new project car.

Been doing alot to the car lately, full brakes and Rotors, just overhauled the cooling system (thermostat, water pump, top and bottom hoses, water pump pulley, radiator serpantine belt, belt tentionser. ) because of a coolant leak at the overflow tank. It's been a hard time coming as well as diagnosing a parasitic power drain, door lock systems malfunctioning and other nit picky issues not needed to list here.

Here's my issue. After finally completing my cooling system overhaul and throwing in my radiator that came last night (went Behr). I filled my car with distilled water and went to start it to flush the system. Waiting for the car to heat up i heard the car start to run a bit funny. I went to check the engine bay and what seemed like ALL of the oil in my car had spilled onto the driveway of my apartment complex (whoops).

I've looked and it seems most of the oil was dripping down my oil pan, I traced it up to the gasket, but it seems to be coming from somewhere higher up.

Pretty much want to know what could leak so bad that all of my oil poured out of my car in the course of a minute or so.

I can answer any questions, was in a bit of a rush writing this

Thank you for the help!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Oil filter cap loose or oil filter housing gasket failed massively would be my first thoughts.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You need to discern the highest point that's wet, and particularly, what side of the engine. Like 02Pilot, I tend to think the oil filter housing gasket may be dramatically failed, but the o-ring at the top of the filter housing might be the culprit...in which case, you'll be incredibly lucky, because that's the easiest fix of all!

Grab a couple of cans of Brake Clean, and, um, a big pan to keep you from getting kicked out. Clean everything, and fill the engine, then start it and watch with a good flashlight 'til you see the source.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471