Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Z3 OT: Your "other" cars

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by ixlr08 View Post
    Does a 1967 Miura make you feel any better??
    Quote Originally Posted by melville View Post
    I'm hating you in the nicest possible way now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post

Me too
    Deep hatred
    Last edited by Mr Bingley; 09-27-2017 at 06:32 AM.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by ZGator View Post
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    2007 BMW 328xi
    2014 VW Touareg TDI
    TDI Touareg Buddies!
    I have a 2007 V10 TDI Touareg

My Cars
    z3
    550... 355... Miura...

Pictures or it didn't happen

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '01 BMW Coupe 3.0 manual
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    550... 355... Miura...

Pictures or it didn't happen
    550 pic is up, with my Z3. I will have to dig for Miura pics, most of them are pre digital age, I had the car for 34 years.
    Jim

'16 BMW X5 3.5i
    '15 GMC 2500
    '01 550 Maranello
    '01 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0 manual 5sp
    '97 Land Rover Defender 90

Jim....

u r kidding..I know u r not........freakin A..... a meeyura?.......a 67.........siiiigh.

for those that dont know, a piece of art...maybe one of the sexiest cars EVAR

how was it to drive?...cumbersome?...heavy?..hot?.....noisy?..ne eded to be above 4000 rpm?...

...cmon share w/ us peasants.

Id also like to hear a brief review how its like for you to drive the 3/0 coupe?...Id be interested from your perspective.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 09-27-2017 at 02:52 PM.

My Cars
    '01 BMW Coupe 3.0 manual
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    Jim....

u r kidding..I know u r not........freakin A..... a meeyura?.......a 67.........siiiigh.

for those that dont know, a piece of art...maybe one of the sexiest cars EVAR

how was it to drive?...cumbersome?...heavy?..hot?.....noisy?..ne eded to be above 4000 rpm?...

...cmon share w/ us peasants.
    The Miura was a joy to drive, light and agile, I really miss it. Proper model name for the 66-68 Miura was P400. P for Posteriore, the engine was transversely mounted in the rear, 400 for the 4 liter displacement. Updated models were the P400S and the P400SV. The car weighed between 2500-2700 lbs, lots of different numbers, I never weighed it and who knows what it actually was. Engine was listed at 350-370hp, but when I talked with Bob Wallace, the factory test driver, he said it was realistically about 325 hp but the other numbers could be had with a bit of work. There was no power steering, no power brakes, no ABS, it was all up to you. The car was fairly neutral to drive with a slight tendency towards oversteer, BUT there was a good deal of trailing throttle oversteer and it could bite you bad if didn't know it was there. BTDT had seat stains to prove it, I did a 360 while doing about 100mph on a highway entrance ramp. You DON'T back off the throttle in the middle of a turn!!! I have heard Porsche 911 owners say the same thing about their cars. Steering was light, brakes were light considering they were not power assisted, no real need to. The shift mechanism had to go thru the engine to get to the transmission and shifting was a little stiff, but no where near as stiff as the 550 is. The most difficult thing about driving the Miura was the throttle. The position was bad, the pedal was very upright, basically vertical, and it was very stiff. With the huge expanse of the front windshield, it could get hot and there was no AC in the P400, the P400S and P400SV had AC as an available option. There as no radio in the car, but with a V12 singing 6" behind your head... there was no need for one. The mufflers were very small, there were 4 of them, one for each group of 3 cylinders. Noise levels were very tolerable, almost enjoyable. The longest trip I took was from New Haven Conn to Roanoke Virginia. The next day we headed north on Skyline Drive, then over to Washington DC and over the next several days wandered back to CT. We got on Skyline drive before sunrise, before it was open and the cops were out, we had a blast, I did chew up the rear tires a bit that day. The engine was fairly docile, it was not peaky at all. It pulled smoothly from about 1500 rpm, redline was 7500, but Bob recommended shifting at 7800 for best performance. I can say that the front end starts to feel a little light at about 140mph so I never pushed it much above that. There are reports of unsuspecting magazine review drivers coming up over a rise too fast and the front wheels actually leaving the ground!! Bob confirmed this to be true and he recommended a simple change to prevent this from happening. A quirk with the car, none of the switches or indicator lights are labeled, so it took a little while to sort them out. From every metric, the 550 is a better car than the Miura, but the Miura was more fun to drive. If you ever find yourself in the mid-coast Maine area, let me know and if I am around I will take you for a ride in the 550.
    If you ever get the chance to ride in a Miura, it is a once in a lifetime experience and you should not hesitate to do it.
    I am still sorting out my Z3, I think it needs some suspension bushings replaced as it has a tendency to wander and feel loose so I don't feel I can give good feedback on it at this point.
    Jim

'16 BMW X5 3.5i
    '15 GMC 2500
    '01 550 Maranello

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Ok, I can wrap my mind around someone actually owning a '67 Miura, and maybe I can even conceive of owning it for 34 years. Although while I can't really get the concept of owning any car for 34 years, if I could, that would be a prime candidate. I assume you destroyed it on that entrance ramp, and that is why you don't still own it, or did you trade it for the Ferrari?

My Cars
    '01 BMW Coupe 3.0 manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Ok, I can wrap my mind around someone actually owning a '67 Miura, and maybe I can even conceive of owning it for 34 years. Although while I can't really get the concept of owning any car for 34 years, if I could, that would be a prime candidate. I assume you destroyed it on that entrance ramp, and that is why you don't still own it, or did you trade it for the Ferrari?
    No damage to the car on the entrance ramp, only to my pride. It just got too difficult to maintain, parts too hard to get, and the car too valuable to leave anywhere. The rear motor mount cracked, it took me 2.5 years to get a new one, I couldn't find anybody who would make me one. Tires are an odd size and only available when Pirelli or Michelin decide to do a special run and then they cost over $2200 each. With the value of the car, insurance was getting to be stupid expensive. Then when the plant I was working at shut down, I found myself unemployed for over a year and I needed funds to pay my mortgage. So I sold the Miura, paid off my mortgage, bought the 550 and between what was left over and my 401K, I can retire early. Presently I am volunteering at the Owls Head Transportation Museum and I am working on some very cool antique cars and airplanes.
    Jim

'16 BMW X5 3.5i
    '15 GMC 2500
    '01 550 Maranello

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Wow, Jim, thanks for the commentary. I've got quite an extensive automotive library, and your description of driving the P400 gave a more real world account than I got from reading Starkey's "bible" on the subject!

I love exotic cars__probably not hard to convince anyone here of that__but I'd had that reoccurring nightmare: you bought a given car when they were cheap (think 250 SWB @ $3500.00) and then were subsequently priced out of being able to afford it as a result stratospheric market value. Clearly, that's a real thing; too bad it's not like coastal property taxes (at least in Florida) where if you owned the property fifty (50) years, your taxes can only go up a certain percentage per year, but WATCH OUT when the property changes hands!

Ralph, on April 1st 2018, I'll have owned my Healey forty (40) years. You know the funny part? On a Healey message board, there are still quite a few original owners on there (I was only 13 yrs old when the LAST Healey was built...)!

My Cars
    '01 BMW Coupe 3.0 manual
    I love exotic cars__probably not hard to convince anyone here of that__but I'd had that reoccurring nightmare: you bought a given car when they were cheap (think 250 SWB @ $3500.00) and then were subsequently priced out of being able to afford it as a result stratospheric market value.
    I guess you don't want to hear I bought the P400 for $16,000 and put another $12K into it over the years. The price of parts and service has certainly gone up commensurate with the value of the car. About 14 years ago I looked into doing a full restore on the car, I was quoted $100K. Two years ago when most all of my bills were paid off I thought again about doing a full restore, quotes were in the $300K-$350K range. That is when I started to think about selling it because I was never going to have the money to do a proper restoration. For the guy who bought my car, those numbers are pocket change and he will have the job done correctly which is what the car deserves.
    Jim

'16 BMW X5 3.5i
    '15 GMC 2500
    '01 550 Maranello

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    I started off raising and breeding VWs. Beatles bugs, dune buggie, campmobiles and a couple convertible Karmann Ghias. Then, are you ready? 1968 Camaro

Added 4-wheel disc brakes, big sway bars, MSD electronic ignition(all previous cars used points) add posi-trac diff, swapped the 3-speed for a four, then a five speed vertical gate Doug Nash.
    Then they converted a old horse track behind my house into a drag strip. And that's when the bug bit me...
    Last edited by E.Hands; 09-29-2017 at 11:40 PM.

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

that camaro is lovely.....cool....i still want a 70/71 z28 302

between Jim, Randy and all u guys here, I am loving this forum today. Some real car guys here!!!

My Cars
    z3
    1967-9 Camaro RS/SS is my favorite muscle car... gorgeous!!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    ...on April 1st 2018, I'll have owned my Healey forty (40) years. You know the funny part? On a Healey message board, there are still quite a few original owners on there (I was only 13 yrs old when the LAST Healey was built...)!
    Is this a veiled April Fools joke, Randy?

I remember my first (only?) ride in a Healey: 12 years old or so, June of 1980, buzzing around La Jolla, CA in my uncle's red 3000 (now in the possession of my cousin, whose High School graduation I attended that week). I was sprawled across the 2 'rear seats' while my dad rode shotgun. This event probably directly led to my desire to own a 2-seat roadster and thus a Zed 3...although in the interim, I bought a Mercedes-Benz R107, which said uncle also drove on my next visit in the late 1980s. My dad wasn't much of a Car Guy--good thing there was at least one in the family!
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 09-30-2017 at 09:14 PM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch Carefully View Post
    Is this a veiled April Fools joke, Randy?

I remember my first (only?) ride in a Healey: 12 years old or so, June of 1980, buzzing around La Jolla, CA in my uncle's red 3000 (now in the possession of my cousin, whose High School graduation I attended that week). I was sprawled across the 2 'rear seats' while my dad rode shotgun. This event probably directly led to my desire to own a 2-seat roadster and thus a Zed 3...although in the interim, I bought a Mercedes-Benz R107, which said uncle also drove on my next visit in the late 1980s. My dad wasn't much of a Car Guy--good thing there was at least one in the family!
    No joke, down-payment was my '77 tax return, about 25% of the purchase price. I paid off the bulk of the car installing wiring harnesses in other Healeys at the guys shop, putting in a few hours a week after work and on weekends.

My Cars
    Z3 3.0 - X1 35i - X1 28i
    I've owned a lot of cars over time. inc a 59 Austin Healey that I just sold back in April to make room for my low mileage 2001 3.0 Z3. My first was a 62 Caddy convertible that I bought for $100 and the top never went down in the sun and couldn't get the top up when it started to rain. My 1st sportscar was a beater 1958 Triumph TR3 that I picked up while stationed in Tacoma. It was a blast to drive, but a constant repair one after another, but was the perfect car to learn how to wrench on. I've always seemed to own a daily driver with a summer car along side of it. Some of the summer cars were a 72 Spitfire, 67 Mustang ragtop, 62 Morgan +4, 75 2002 (a favorite),79,82,85,88,89,91 Rx7 (last 2 were ragtops), 97 Z3, 01 Z3.

My daily driver now a days is a 2010 X3 which has been pretty bulletproof, but now that I've said that...
    Last edited by healeydays; 10-01-2017 at 09:47 AM.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Well, there's this:
    1.jpg
    Last edited by CB750; 10-01-2017 at 08:33 PM.

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    390?

Terry
    Note 8/Tapatalk.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    Dinan BMW M ROADSTER, FERRARI 355/ E46 M3
    BMW M Roadster(heavily modded)
    Porsche 964 (2700lbs with a cage)
    Porsche 928(maybe one of the meanest in tge country)
    Ferrari 355(full custom exhaust, group M intake lots of CF, Porsche 965 brakes etc)

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by madturk View Post
    Ferrari 355(full custom exhaust, group M intake lots of CF, Porsche 965 brakes etc)
    Love some 928 details as I am a fan.

Terry
    Note 8/Tapatalk.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by madturk View Post
    I think this makes it a 3 way tie now, based solely on Ferrari's and Z3's sharing a garage.

My Cars
    Dinan BMW M ROADSTER, FERRARI 355/ E46 M3
    Below are few pics of my girls.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    drive it like you stole it

My Cars
    1999 M-Coupe, 2013 S60RD
    wow nice selection!

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast