Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Z3 OT: Your "other" cars

My Cars
    Audi R8 V10 Plus [GATED]
    You should buy my R8 w/ a gated Manual tranny.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffyD View Post
    I’m selling the 997 Turbo and getting something else. Such a great car, and, truly, way too much car for me to ever utilize properly. And as much fun as the thing is, I don’t find it capturing my attention like it should - probably a very likely consequence of never actually getting to use that protential power available at any given moment.

Ive been shopping around for either a Carrera S or 4S from the 993 era for a hot minute, driven one or two, and even have been about to pull the trigger on a 4S in Arena red with the aerokit (yum), but have suddenly developed incredibly cold feet in regards to the prospect of owning one. It seems to me that the fun of cars comes from not worrying about depreciation, and I doubt I’d be able to enjoy either one of these options without some serious fretting over any issues that may crop up. I hate fretting, despite being so innately prodigious in doing so.

So, I’m thinking of scrapping the whole Porsche ownership nonsense altogether, picking up a Z4M Coupe to use as my daily beater and tinkering vehicle, and putting the saved sum of paid difference toward my fund to build a house. Seems reasonable, fun, and beneficial...

... but god dang it if I’m not still torn. While I’m well versed in the fact that one cannot delve into all options life has reason to offer, I still have this nagging feeling that if I don’t do the silly thing and buy an aircooled Porsche while I have the means to do so, I’ll live to see myself truly regret it.

Anyone have any advice on coming back down to earth when one loses their head in car purchasing related stupidity? I could really use a sobering backhanded smack of reason.

My Cars
    '98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by z3m.casey View Post
    2015 Yamaha crotch rocket, R6. LOL
    My nurse friend lovingly calls them Donor Cycles.
    Jim

1998 ///M Roadster
    2007 Audi RS4
    2016 Audi S4

My Cars
    2000 S54 - Mcoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MRFAST View Post
    My nurse friend lovingly calls them Donor Cycles.

I agree! After my last "incident" I chose to leave it the garage til I decide to sell it. Luckily it did not hospitalize me, or anything at that matter, just a really big scare. haven't had an itch to ride it in months!
    Since then, I had an urge for another toy again. so then here came the M-coupe!
    Last edited by z3m.casey; 11-08-2017 at 04:36 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Took my freshly-rebuilt-by-a-garage-mechanic 200,000+ mile M62-powered X5 up north...

Handled it like a trooper. Got a low coolant message the second day, but it was just a hair low. Topped up and was fine but man that's enough to give you some anxiety when you are hundreds of miles (and many steep mountains) away from home

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 m coupe

355 and m coupe

355 and m coupe
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by ljpviper View Post
    355 and m coupe
    That's 3 Ferraris so far if I'm counting right.

My Cars
    1999 m coupe
    I will say the m coupe has one of the best engine/tranny combo I have ever drove. The 355 is great just different, the connected feel of the m coupe is hard to reproduce. Probably the short wheel base.

My Cars
    e36m, E46m, Z3m,
    Other cars for me are 1994 E36 M3 Euro-Spec, S50-b30 version, 2003 e46m3, 2016 Cayman gt4, and my daily is a 2007 e90 328i Sport.
    WP_20150710_20_10_02_Pro.jpgIMG_0001.JPG37172456803_0b0e0e17e3_b.jpgIMG_6870.JPG

My Cars
    2000 S54 - Mcoupe
    Wowzers, you guys hiring? Lol

355 and m coupe
    how would one exit or enter the coupe?.....move the red mr2 first?.....I mean 355.....lol.........I had a student at Lime Rock w/ one....I loved it

My Cars
    1999 m coupe
    Yeah, move out the 355 first. Tight squeeze in there.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    That's the best looking and sounding MR2 I know.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1997 z3 2.8
    Yeah, move out the 355 first. Tight squeeze in there.
    This might not work for you, but at one point I had a ferrari 348 and a Porsche 996 stuffed in a very small DC garage. My solution was to park one car nose in, one car butt in so both driver doors were in the middle of the garage. That gave maximum space. then I hung a pool noodle from the ceiling on a string between the two cars so that I could open the doors without dinging the other car. This way I could get in to either car.

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    2000 Mcoupe
    1997 4Runner Limited, TRD supercharged, lifted 3+ on 33's
    2006 E46M3V Carbon over cinnamon

Wife currently has an 05 accord, but about to trade up to a 17/18 Civic hatch sport touring likely in the coming end of year sales. (Just picture a base model blue accord, I don't take pictures of it, but it is for sale!)

M3.jpg4runner.jpg170708_Morris_091.jpg

My Cars
    z3
    Robb, more deets on the 4runner? I have a soft spot for those...

My Cars
    '99 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Current "fleet":

2.8 Roadster:

'87 Mazda 323 1.5 SL:

Previous cars:

'70 VW 411L Automatic:

'82 BMW 518i E12/8:

1999 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster - show project
    1970 VW 411L Auto - show/restoration project (sold)
    1982 BMW 518i E12/8 - stolen
    1987 Mazda 323 1.5 SL - daily driver, backup show car

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, '05 Legacy GT, Rotax kart!
    Nothing fancy for me. The M Coupe shares the garage with a 2016 Mini Countryman S and my winter restoration project, a 1981 Kawasaki GPZ550. The Countryman is a great daily driver and even the dealer has been good to work with. The GPZ was an impulse buy. An '81 GPZ550 was the first bike I ever put any serious miles on, so I hold a soft spot for them. This one popped-up on Craigslist late this summer for a good price, and it wasn't in bad shape so it followed me home. Now that I'm working on it I'm finding some areas where there were some real screw-ups (the cross threaded oil drain plug is something I'm still trying to resolve without swapping out the pan - - any thoughts??) but with luck I can have it on the road by May/June. Parts are probably the biggest obstacle but I sure am grateful for eBay.

My Cars
    '99 Z3 Coupe, 2016 R3
    Quote Originally Posted by exartist View Post
    Nothing fancy for me. The M Coupe shares the garage with a 2016 Mini Countryman S and my winter restoration project, a 1981 Kawasaki GPZ550. The Countryman is a great daily driver and even the dealer has been good to work with. The GPZ was an impulse buy. An '81 GPZ550 was the first bike I ever put any serious miles on, so I hold a soft spot for them. This one popped-up on Craigslist late this summer for a good price, and it wasn't in bad shape so it followed me home. Now that I'm working on it I'm finding some areas where there were some real screw-ups (the cross threaded oil drain plug is something I'm still trying to resolve without swapping out the pan - - any thoughts??) but with luck I can have it on the road by May/June. Parts are probably the biggest obstacle but I sure am grateful for eBay.
    There are always heli-coils or timeserts if the size isn't too weird, just coat your tap with grease to retain as much metal as possible and pour some atf through the crankcase to wash out the rest.
    In 1981 Kawasaki had a promotion where for $15 you could ride one of their sport bikes around Laguna Seca for 2 laps, I signed up for three sessions and got to ride a GPZ550, GPZ750 Turbo, and a 900 Ninja, the 550 was by far, the most fun.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Think I'll take this for a rip tomorrow. 770 ft-lb.

IMAG0162.jpg
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, '05 Legacy GT, Rotax kart!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Liberatore View Post
    There are always heli-coils or timeserts if the size isn't too weird, just coat your tap with grease to retain as much metal as possible and pour some atf through the crankcase to wash out the rest.
    In 1981 Kawasaki had a promotion where for $15 you could ride one of their sport bikes around Laguna Seca for 2 laps, I signed up for three sessions and got to ride a GPZ550, GPZ750 Turbo, and a 900 Ninja, the 550 was by far, the most fun.
    I am going to try a helicoil, maybe this weekend - - thanks for the tip on coating it! I am very nervous about getting burs into the pan.

I have good memories of the GPZ550. It's the granddad of the middleweight sport bikes, and it remains plenty of bike for me. If I can freshen this one up I hope to put many miles on it next summer.

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Robb, more deets on the 4runner? I have a soft spot for those...
    1997 Limited, just flipped 207k on the body
    Auto, 4x4
    Swapped to a 175xxx motor back in may
    Long tube TRD headers ceramic coated
    2.5" SS custom midpipe with vibrant high flow cat and resinator
    2.5" SS Gibson exhaust
    Tundra TRD springs front with Bilstein 5100s
    LC front springs in the read with Bilstein 5100s
    Full poly bushings up front
    TRS Mini D2S HID retrofit
    Satoshi mod front grille
    Panasonic NEX-4100 HU with Alpine rear view camera
    99+ cloth seats swapped
    Front heated seat retrofit
    99+ rear hatch plastic swaps
    Custom 1/2 cargo box
    Tow package
    TRD supercharger with fresh bearings
    Tinted out
    Aux fuse panel under rear seats for aux circuit connections
    "Big 3" wiring upgrade
    FN 5-start 17's
    Yokohama Geolander 285/75/17 ATs
    Mstudd HD adjustable sway links (forum member)
    Tundra front brake swap
    Boat loads of maintence

Likely forgetting some stuff

Coming soon:
    Weld on rock sliders
    Wideband

Long term goals:
    Fuel management piggy back
    Smaller pully
    More intake mods

My Cars
    z3
    X section isn't too active here so thought I'd share this with my Z3 brethren

Chronicles of Jank - Chapter 2
    (my life up to this point has been Chapter 1)

Driving home yesterday I had to do an evasive maneuver to keep from some idiot hitting me... jerked the steering wheel a bit to keep clear of said idiot and in doing so I hear a "POP" - feel a pop through the steering wheel - then "DRPDRPDRPDRPDRPDRP" as my battery light comes on and steering gets heavy. Got it pulled over just as gauge was moving out of TDC, still below 3/4

Graham on the side of the road looking helplessly at one of his BMW's that has stranded him - I think I've heard this story before...

I know tolerances are supposed to be tight on water pumps... but this has taken things a little too far

Water pump pulley shaft. Completely off-axis. And that metal thing peeking through towards the top? Nothing to worry about, just one of the rollers for the bearing that has completely come out of it's races

New water pump is already in, no leaks, but the secondary air pump system o-rings went bad during re-installation. New ones ordered locally, hopefully they are in stock and this puppy should be back on the road later tonight (knock on wood)
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 11-30-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    X section isn't too active here so thought I'd share this with my Z3 brethren

Chronicles of Jank - Chapter 2
    (my life up to this point has been Chapter 1)

Driving home yesterday I had to do an evasive maneuver to keep from some idiot hitting me... jerked the steering wheel a bit to keep clear of said idiot and in doing so I hear a "POP" - feel a pop through the steering wheel - then "DRPDRPDRPDRPDRPDRP" as my battery light comes on and steering gets heavy. Got it pulled over just as gauge was moving out of TDC, still below 3/4

Graham on the side of the road looking helplessly at one of his BMW's that has stranded him - I think I've heard this story before...

I know tolerances are supposed to be tight on water pumps... but this has taken things a little too far

Water pump pulley shaft. Completely off-axis. And that metal thing peeking through towards the top? Nothing to worry about, just one of the rollers for the bearing that has completely come out of it's races

New water pump is already in, no leaks, but the secondary air pump system o-rings went bad during re-installation. New ones ordered locally, hopefully they are in stock and this puppy should be back on the road later tonight (knock on wood)
    I love my little car, and I've uninterruptedly owned at least one BMW at all times since 1984. But I have to admit that it's true, that every single BMW I've ever encountered--cars and motorcycles alike--have had at least one ridiculously awful engineering flaw that has the potential to destroy them. Every one a ticking time bomb waiting to fail in a way that would be unacceptable even for a GM product--without fail. I don't know why, I guess I don't care, since I keep buying them, but I have to admit that it's true. I was working on gremlins in a friend's E61 not so long ago, only to discover that the sun roof drains terminate in little rubber drain plugs that routinely plug up with debris. Also, the body computers for the car--all of them--mount in the cavity below the spare tire in the spare tire well under the floor--at the absolute lowest point of the body. The clogged sunroof drains back up into--you guessed it--the spare tire well. This is a known problem and apparently is the death of a huge number of E60 series cars. No recall, of course. BMW.

Really, a bad water pump design? The Water pump. I mean isn't that a part that has been made since water cooling was developed in the 19th century? A part even Ford can make without flaw? BMW couldn't engineer a water pump? They engineered the S54, but couldn't pull off a water pump? What do you suppose Toyota enthusiasts have to talk about on their forums?

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    What do you suppose Toyota enthusiasts have to talk about on their forums?
    Lower ball joint failures that result in catastrophic failure that can happen at any time that not only leave you stranded but could potientially cause a horrible accident. Unlike a failing water pump that just blows up the cooling system and ruins your afternoon, flipping a 4000lb box doing 70 on the highway due to one of your front tire suddenly wanting follow its own new creative direction is scary as shit.

I replaced mine with OEM as soon as I bought the truck and plan to replace them every 50-60k miles to prevent failures. There are no good checks to predict replacement requirement.

My Cars
    z3
    Note to self... Tell friend and new 4runner owner to replace control arms

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast