Thread: P1461 the saga continues....

My Cars
    2000 750iL

P1461 the saga continues....

I've been battling this code for years. in the early days, a new bottom starting battery solved it. That no longer works. Even if i charge both batteries (which are not very old) overnight, upon starting the code will be there. engine light comes on with second start. Alternator puts out avg. 13.5V.
    Many have had this code but i've never seen a thread with a final solution on how they fixed it, if they did.
    I've seen a lot of, maybe it's the battery switch, maybe it's the module under the passenger seat, maybe its the connection at the cats... but nobody has ever posted their results. Ecat delete is not an option for my state inspection.

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Have you inspected the connections at the cats or the module?
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    connections yes. undid them, wire brushed them and reconnected. not the module.
    interesting however, that some years ago, noticed that one of the wires to the bank 1 cat was hanging off, and there was no code.
    Also have just figured out, that although both batteries are newer, and alt puts out 13.5, if i throw a battery charger on at 50amp to start, the code won't trigger. Seems that extra boost is enough to get passed whatever weak connection there may be in the system.

Alpine 7even is offline The King Of E38 Custom BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    e38 iL, F-e38 iL, e23 L7
    Check you engine and battery grounds. Had the same sort of issues on an 01. We put replaced both the factory a fine ground and the battery grounds, then added an extra engine ground and an extra battery ground. Car now charges at a solid 14.26 and zero initial startup issues.

-2000 iL Individual. VF Supercharged at 12psi, Dinan MAF and TB, 6spd 420g swap, Euro under body guards, strong strut, N62 engine cover, Hydro trunk, Full suspension mods, Brembo F+R big brakes, custom headliner/interior, Bi-Xenon headlights, wide screen nav/mk4, Custom splash screen (I make them), coded video module with custom made harness, reverse camera, Intravee II, factory rear screen entertainment console, rear comms armrest, rear blower, seat back tables and writing tablet, all euro options coded on etc.
    -1997 iL. Pioneer 8500nex double din/Avic navigation, swc and dsp still functional. Reverse camera, full suspension upgrades, leather dash, console and door cards, rear blower, Re-upholstered seats, facelift sport contour seats, heated steering wheel, 750 front brakes, custom cup holder replacing the front ash tray, all euro options coded, headliner in black, rear headliner MID console.

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    Still battling this. Wire brushed the connections on the cats and the ground straps. even tried a jumper across the cat terminals in case the heating element itself was the culprit. unplugged all the module connection just to reseat them. The module under the passenger seat visually appears ok. My OEM bluetooth crapped out a while back so I even took it out. just because battery draw maybe? didn't help.
    Had both batteries tested with a computer printout that shows them as good or better than rated as new. But here's what is strange and a clue. If i clear the code and put a charger directly on the top battery for an hour or more, when i start the car there will be no code but if i shut the car off and wait a while and start again, there it is. The top battery isn't supposed to be part of the starting or cat heating and despite checking out as new condition, having that surface charge is enough to keep the code from popping.

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    For those following along, and others who battle the P1461 code.... downstream O2 sensors. Despite there being a specific code for O2 sensors that are failing, giving you an easy target for repair, this P1461 is also for the same thing but different. I finally got an additional code for the low efficiency for a sensor so replaced them both and solved the P1461 code also. FYI I got a pair of made in china ebay sensors for $30.

May have spoke too soon. code was showing up upon first start and cel upon second start. have started the car several times since installing the new O2 sensors and on about the 5th start the code is there again, but still awaiting light. There has to be something to the O2 sensors but now because they are cheap ones??
    Last edited by RIboater; 11-06-2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: update to findings

My Cars
    2000 BMW 750IL
    So replacing the oxygen sensors helped clear this error?

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Since this was resurrected - Alpine 7even - do you have details on where you made your extra ground connections?