Thread: 2006 X3 M sport clunking on slow turns plus minor issues

My Cars
    95 332i

2006 X3 M sport clunking on slow turns plus minor issues

I just bought a beautiful 2007 X3 with the M sport package. 123k miles and physically in wonderful condition. It has a few issues that I'm trying to work out.
    Issue #1 is a leaking valve cover gasket. No big deal, gasket on order and will be replaced this weekend if time permits.

Issue #2 is the high beams won't come on. When I kick the switch back, the blue indicator light comes on the dash but the high beams won't shine. I think this is a stalk issue.?.

Issue #3 is the shudder/clunking/slipping in the rear diff or transfer case area. I've read a lot about this issue, but thought I'd try to document it here and maybe get some questions answered.
    I The car drives like a dream until you turn into a parking lot. It feels like the rear end or transfer case is binding. It will clunk and thud when directions change while turning slowly. I've got BMW diff fluid and transfer case fluid on the way and am hoping that will help. I also got a friction modifier from ECSTuning, should I split that in the diff and transfer case? Or just not use it at all?
    The tires are the correct size and pressure with all matching tread depth, but are Hankooks. If the fluid change doesn't help, my next step is to buy some OEM spec'd Pirelli's, but would rather not spend the $700 there if I could help it.

Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ASUMTNEER; 10-20-2017 at 04:56 PM.

My Cars
    95 332i
    Fixed the valve cover gasket with no issue. The engine looked very clean inside, so that was a relief.
    I replaced fluids in both diffs and the transfer case with the expensive BMW fluid. I also added the friction modifier to the rear diff. The problem is still there, so I guess I will order brand new star rated Pirelli's and cross my fingers!

My Cars
    95 332i
    Continuing my monologue.

I decided to rotate the tires to see if it would make a difference, and it did. I drove it a couple of miles up the road and into a parking lot. I turned it slowly in the parking lot about a dozen times and felt no thud/clunk at all.

However, upon driving it this a.m. to work, it was back. The clunk was milder and occurred less often, but was there. It was cold this morning, so I'm thinking the fluctuating temps are affecting the tire pressure.

This does tell me that the issue is with the tires though. I think I'll go ahead and order the Pirelli's and report back when they're mounted.

Hopefully this thread will help someone in the future going down this road.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    I would change your transfer case oil as well.

My Cars
    95 332i
    Update:

Replaced the tires, clunk still present. The clunk seems better, but not cured.

Could it be a bushing in the rear somewhere binding and releasing as I turn and turn back? This thing is obnoxious!

Alpine 318is , I changed the t-case oil. That was my first step. It came out black, so it needed it anyway.
    Last edited by ASUMTNEER; 10-10-2017 at 08:46 AM.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    It probably is the transfer case itself then. It's a pretty common failure for these cars. The reason I think that is the case is because when you are in a parking lot at slow speeds and turning the wheel that is when the 4 wheels are all turning at significantly different speeds, percentage wise. Brace yourself for an expensive repair hate to say.

My Cars
    95 332i
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine 318is View Post
    It probably is the transfer case itself then. It's a pretty common failure for these cars. The reason I think that is the case is because when you are in a parking lot at slow speeds and turning the wheel that is when the 4 wheels are all turning at significantly different speeds, percentage wise. Brace yourself for an expensive repair hate to say.
    Well, aren't you a bummer. Why do you think the clunk went away for a short period after the tire rotation? This whole thing is perplexing to me. I was hoping to be able to mess with the tire pressures and find the "sweet spot", but that may be wishful thinking.
    Last edited by ASUMTNEER; 10-11-2017 at 01:54 PM.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Not trying to be a bummer, Just trying to avoid you dropping more money into the car while trying to avoid the actual problem.

I'm not sure why the clunk went away after the tire rotation but it seems like its back and I would be surprised if you can find a "sweet spot" where there is no issues. I'll be honest I've only had my X3 for 2 months, but I looked for one for 9 months and did extensive research on the car specifically the transfer case. Most of the higher (140-150k) cars with no history of transfer case service or replacement acted just like your car is acting. Drove like a dream on the freeway but slow speeds it would clunk and shudder and just drove like crap.

There's lots of options for this issue including just replacing the gear that is affected, buying a used transfer case all the way to buying one straight from BMW. Time to do some research on just the transfer case.

Good luck!

My Cars
    95 332i
    Not trying to be a bummer, Just trying to avoid you dropping more money into the car while trying to avoid the actual problem.

I'm not sure why the clunk went away after the tire rotation but it seems like its back and I would be surprised if you can find a "sweet spot" where there is no issues. I'll be honest I've only had my X3 for 2 months, but I looked for one for 9 months and did extensive research on the car specifically the transfer case. Most of the higher (140-150k) cars with no history of transfer case service or replacement acted just like your car is acting. Drove like a dream on the freeway but slow speeds it would clunk and shudder and just drove like crap.

There's lots of options for this issue including just replacing the gear that is affected, buying a used transfer case all the way to buying one straight from BMW. Time to do some research on just the transfer case.

Good luck!
    How would i figure out which gear is bad?

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    I'm pretty sure its the same gear everytime and just half of it. You can even just turn the gear 180 degrees, but If I had the transfer case out I would just replace it

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933271

My Cars
    95 332i
    I'm pretty sure its the same gear everytime and just half of it. You can even just turn the gear 180 degrees, but If I had the transfer case out I would just replace it

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933271
    You think that could cause the cluck when turning and not throw 4x4 lights? I could swap that gear out easily. I thought you were talking about the chain and bearings in the case.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    It can definitely cause the clunking without the 4x4 light. I'm not sure how bad yours is but I test drove one and took a right hander up a slight hill at like 15 mph and it shuddered and clunked so bad I was worried the owner was thinking I was messing up his car on purpose. "oh it does that all the time but no lights so nothing to worry." I never ended a test drive so fast.

To answer your question it could be that gear but it could be other things. It seems like its mostly that gear so it would be a good starting place but its sorta one of those risk vs reward things.

My Cars
    95 332i
    First off, thanks for your help on this. Second, I ran across the following link today and found an interesting little piece of info in it. In post #45, beemsta makes mention of a problem that sounds exactly like mine. he addresses it in #2 of his post.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...61/index5.html

Do you think a "near-side lower front suspension arm" is the front control arm?

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    No problem, truly I hope that its not the transfer case, just trying to get you back on the road as fast and as cheaply as possible.

I think he is referring to #8 in the below diagram. I would be that could definitely have a clunk sound to it if #9 on the diagram (The bushing) is worn out. You would be able to feel the car move and shudder when braking hard from high speed. At least that is how I knew my control arm bushings were toast in my E34 and E36. Maybe the design of the X3 ones are different.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    95 332i
    No problem, truly I hope that its not the transfer case, just trying to get you back on the road as fast and as cheaply as possible.

I think he is referring to #8 in the below diagram. I would be that could definitely have a clunk sound to it if #9 on the diagram (The bushing) is worn out. You would be able to feel the car move and shudder when braking hard from high speed. At least that is how I knew my control arm bushings were toast in my E34 and E36. Maybe the design of the X3 ones are different.
    I'll climb under there tonight and inspect visually. This car is absolutely wonderful at speeds above 20mph, but I'm really starting to hate it!

My Cars
    95 332i
    So I visually inspected all bushings and ball joints underneath the car, and everything checked out good. I decided to play with the air pressure a bit and think I found the "sweet spot". I put 32 psi in all four corners and I don't notice any knocking around. I don't know if the sidewalls of the tires are "giving" with the lower air pressure and that reduces stress on whatever else was clunking, but I'll roll with it.

I hope this helps someone else down the road and I'll update if anything else changes.

My Cars
    e36 323

clunk small speed Turing decelerating

Quote Originally Posted by ASUMTNEER View Post
    So I visually inspected all bushings and ball joints underneath the car, and everything checked out good. I decided to play with the air pressure a bit and think I found the "sweet spot". I put 32 psi in all four corners and I don't notice any knocking around. I don't know if the sidewalls of the tires are "giving" with the lower air pressure and that reduces stress on whatever else was clunking, but I'll roll with it.

I hope this helps someone else down the road and I'll update if anything else changes.

i have the same problem , everything is ok but that small speed turning is there , it might be : Differential Satelites, CV Joint Shaft , DTC Software too old .... i found something regarding CV joint flange and locktide but did not try it.

Do you fixed it ?