Thread: 535 Transmission problems.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i

535 Transmission problems.

I bought a 1990 535 a couple months ago the trans was giving me some trouble when I first bought the car but after a fluid change everything was fine for about a month then the gasket for the pan broke. After fixing the gasket and adding more fluid everything was working fine for a couple weeks. Now the trans is getting very hot and the new fluid is black. It shifts and goes into gear but there was a whining noise when driving. Help please.

My Cars
    E34 535i; E36 325is
    Consider whether the trans. filter is clogged: If so, ATF won't properly circulate, cool, lubricate, or drive the tranny correctly. Reportedly (and those more knowledgeable please chime in if this is wrong) if you put the tranny in reverse, it increases pump pressure and causes the tranny to whine if the ATF is low or the filter is clogged. So put the warmed up tranny in reverse and see what happens, diagnostically speaking.

The fact that yours gets hot suggests it's not properly circulating ATF through the cooler built into the radiator, consistent with a clogged filter, although the tranny pump may be faulty. Filter seems the more probable source, though.

See also Shogun's videos (on YouTube and linked on his posts on this website) for info on how to clean the valve body, pan, etc. so the little check balls can properly shuttle in their little channels, so the solenoid strainers are clear, and the solenoids are properly working.

When your ATF is dirty, the dirt is worn-off lining from the clutches in the tranny, and when that stuff wears off and gets into the ATF, it can also coagulate and make sticky the little passages for the little check balls, which have pretty tight tolerances. Alas, when the dirty worn-off lining stuff is floating around making things sticky, that stuff is no longer on the clutches, i.e., the tranny is toast because its clutches are shot.

Transmission shops (in my experience the biggest ripoff artists around) will typically quote $3K+ to fix, an economic non-starter. If the tranny is in fact toast, most will say just put in a 5 speed, but 5 speed swap kits are hard to find and a lot of work to install. Stock automatic transmissions can be found at junkyards, but then take careful note of why the car was junked: A wrecked car will have obvious damage to, say, the rear end or wherever the car was impacted. But, many cars at PicknPull have little body damage, so were junked due to economic obsolescence, such as a bad tranny too expensive to fix. So be careful choosing the donor car.

My Cars
    various
    Black or burnt trans fluid is a bad sign.