Thread: Cleaning up the interior

My Cars
    z3

Cleaning up the interior

I'm looking at this car from out of state.

Obviously there are lots of questions about this car, but at tgat price it could be a diamond in the rough.

The big question I have about this one is, how hard is it to clean/fix up the interior of these cars? Are there used parts available?

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d...294489986.html

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Salvage title might have something to do with the price.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Might be a flood car--just saying. The interior is more than just a little rough. There are aftermarket vendors for replacement seat upholstery, but that's a pretty big undertaking if it's going to come out right. Unless it's rebuilt salvage from years ago, I would avoid salvage titled cars from Texas or Florida for at least a year.

My Cars
    z3
    I asked him about the salvage title and got the following. I think this is a situation where if I could go see it all in person it would really help. It seems like there isn't much interior in a z3. If I could find a parts car to get an interior from that would be ideal. Ironically I had a 1.9 z3 years ago that was parked next to a drain that backed up and left a couple inches of water in the floor. It turned out to not be a big deal. I also have a Land Rover that I filled the interior with 6 inches of mud, my Land Rover will never be the same lol

I was at the dentist parked next to the building by a downspout during a hard rain. It soaked the carpet so I filed a claim. After the BMW dealer listed a ton of things that might need to be replaced the insurance company said "Ok its totaled, we'll pay you $4500 and you can keep the car. I dried out the carpet and took the money.

I pulled back the carpet on the side that got wet and dried it out. Other than some discolored places on the carpet and some plastic trim I broke there's no issues. So now it has a salvage title.

My Cars
    z3
    Insurance just gave him the car for free? Lol...

Sounds like a flood car to me...

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    They deduct the salvage value from the payout when they allow the owner to retain.

Source: totaled and rebuilt a Z3 in TX last year.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjbrox View Post
    ... company said "Ok its totaled, we'll pay you $4500 and you can keep the car. I dried out the carpet and took the money. I pulled back the carpet on the side that got wet and dried it out. Other than some discolored places on the carpet and some plastic trim I broke there's no issues. So now it has a salvage title.
    If you promptly removed the seats, and then lifted and dried the carpet, the electrics on and under the carpet were not subject to corrosion as happens with unattended leaks from topside.
    Topside leaks, and floods, often leave the electrics wet for long periods.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    z3
    Yea, this one is frustrating. I'd love to get the 3.0 for that price even if I had to replace the entire interior.

But the risk seems to high

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by LannVouivre View Post
    They deduct the salvage value from the payout when they allow the owner to retain.

Source: totaled and rebuilt a Z3 in TX last year.
    That makes sense, just sounded like they gave him a check and didn't even bother wanting to take the car or offering to take it. Probably just the way the seller had phrased it to him though... I'm sure it was maybe $5000 cash or $4500 and keep the car and he chose the latter...

Either way, doesn't even sound like a great deal for a salvage title car... sounds - at best - market value, but given the recent water damage and less than convincing story (to me anyways!) I have to think flood damage

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    The first question is whether the title is rebuilt salvage, or just salvage--there's a world of difference between the two.

My Cars
    z3
    Anyway. Worst case scenario, I have to find a parts car to swap an interior from. That's not that bad. And I end up with a sweet car for a good price.

I'm kinda eyeing this now.
    https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...315566863.html

But it won't be as fun

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    Did you look at the map of where that Z3 is located?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3 & 14 allroad
    Even if it's not actually flooded, it obviously was very wet. There are electronics under the seat. There was something that needed to be corrected, or there would not have been an insurance claim. I would not buy it, even if a bargain.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by SounderMN View Post
    Even if it's not actually flooded, it obviously was very wet. There are electronics under the seat. There was something that needed to be corrected, or there would not have been an insurance claim. I would not buy it, even if a bargain.

I decided to get a e46 Convertable. its a bit more practical and i got a great deal.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3 & 14 allroad
    Good choice! For many reasons. Enjoy the new toy!