Thread: Data log interpretation help

My Cars
    2009 335i

Data log interpretation help

If this is posted in the wrong section my apologies.
    I'm hoping to get some advice of a data log I pulled today.
    2009 335i with 97000, I am running a 7" FMIC, MHD stage 1 tune, K&N drop in filter, alpina B3, sunoco 94 octane, ambient temp was 86*, I just changed all plugs (bosch) and coils(delphi) last week.
    I have been getting the intermittent long crank after the car sits overnight, and am getting shadow codes 2AAF (fuel pump plausibility), 2FCA (high pressure fuel), 2FDA (high pressure fuel), but no active codes.

Thanks.

https://datazap.me/u/jeff91121/9-19-...lo=3&mark=1432
    Last edited by shogun; 09-19-2017 at 11:13 PM. Reason: double posts merged

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff91121 View Post
    If this is posted in the wrong section my apologies.
    I'm hoping to get some advice of a data log I pulled today.
    2009 335i with 97000, I am running a 7" FMIC, MHD stage 1 tune, K&N drop in filter, alpina B3, sunoco 94 octane, ambient temp was 86*, I just changed all plugs (bosch) and coils(delphi) last week.
    I have been getting the intermittent long crank after the car sits overnight, and am getting shadow codes 2AAF (fuel pump plausibility), 2FCA (high pressure fuel), 2FDA (high pressure fuel), but no active codes.

Thanks.

https://datazap.me/u/jeff91121/9-19-...lo=3&mark=1432
    I took at look at your data log and didn't see anything concerning. Both low pressure and rail pressure stayed within range. Generally you want to log a 3rd gear pull to get good data. You want to be at full throttle for a couple seconds to really test the fuel system, timing, boost holding, etc. I know the car hauls ass, so it's tough to keep things legal. You might be able to log a second gear pull if you have the traction for it, that way you don't have to do illegal speeds. Start the log in second or third gear at 2000rpm or so, and go full throttle all the way to redline. You need to be full throttle for a couple seconds for the log to show good data. Log in a safe and legal way.
    The 2FCA and 2FDA codes are pretty common on the newest engine software (which is what MHD uses). They don't really indicate a problem in most cases. Same with the 2AAF code. Your fuel pressure stays well over the 500psi minimum throughout the log, and increases at higher RPMs; the HPFP seems healthy from what I can see.
    As far as your long crank issue, it could be your injectors. If they leak off all your fuel pressure overnight, it takes a bit for the hpfp to build back up. It looks like your bank 1 takes a smidge longer to lean out, and the fuel trims are a hair lower. You might have a leaking injector on bank 1. They don't throw codes and they are very hard to isolate, but they tend to be problematic.
    I don't know if you can data log cranking up the car, but that could be useful. That way we can see where the fuel pressure is prior to cranking, and how long it takes to build up.

BTW, here's info from BMW about the 2AAF
    SITUATION The fault code 2AAF (Fuel pump plausibility, integral component outside valid range; currently not present) is stored in the DME. The 2AAF fault may be stored: Alone, without any other associated faults; there would be no any drivability complaints. The fault would not cause the Service Engine Soon illumination; or As an associate fault, together with various misfire (e.g., 29CE, 29CF, etc.) or high pressure fuel pump fault codes (e.g., 29DC, 2FBF, etc.). INFORMATION The fault code 2AAF (if stored alone, or without any other faults related to the low fuel pressure system) is caused by DME diagnostic sensitivity, and should not be considered an indication of low pressure system malfunction. Do not replace the low pressure system components (e.g., EKP module, pressure sensor, electric fuel pump or filter) in order to address FC 2AAF if: 2AAF is the only fault stored in the MSD80/MSD81 DME which was found during diagnosis for a nondrivability related customer complaint; 2AAF is the only fault still stored in the MSD80/MSD81 DME after the other problems causing drivability (and SES lamp illumination) complaints have been addressed. The low fuel pressure system should be diagnosed (using the appropriate ISIS test module) only if the 2AAF (Fuel pump plausibility) fault is stored together with other low pressure faults (e.g., 2A2D - "Fuel low pressure system, upper threshold reached" or 29F3 - "Fuel low pressure sensor, electric").
    Last edited by RocketSurgeon; 09-20-2017 at 02:52 AM.

My Cars
    2009 335i
    Thanks, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I will try to find a safe open stretch of highway to do a couple 3rd gear pulls next time.