Thread: 2002 E46 325Ci Can connect to ECU but nothing else. HELP!

My Cars
    850i, Z3 2.3, X5 4.8is

2002 E46 325Ci Can connect to ECU but nothing else. HELP!

Hi everyone, I am completely confounded after searching for a few days and trying every fix I have been able to find.

Here's the situation.

I have a 2002 E46 325ci 5-speed that does NOT have the round connector in the engine bay. I am very familiar with them from other bimmers, and am positive that I don't have one.

The problem I am having is that when I connect with INPA I cannot connect to any modules other than the engine. I have an MS43 DME and get the mismatch possible malfunction error before connecting but it does connect and I can check the CEL codes (there are none). I can test the injectors and such so it appears to be working fine. I can also see the shadow memory that shows me errors from other modules. When I try and connect directly to any other module I get the IFH:0009 error.

I have installed Mike's east BMW standard tools 2.12, and have an interface from One Stop Electronics. I get the regular IFH:0009 error, and when using the backwards compatible K-Line adapter I get the error IFH:0010 in the same situations. I used another interface I have that I can see has pins 7 & 8 soldered together and I also got the IFH:0009 error when trying to access any other modules.

I tested the pinouts for 7 & 8 using pinout 5 as ground and, with the engine in position 2 I get between 10 and 11 volts at both pins. I tried jumping pin 8 directly from the white and purple wire on the cluster harness and got the same error messages mentioned above.

I am at a completely loss right now and cannot get my car started.

The problem I am having contacting the modules is especially bad because I replaced the battery in the diamond key (cut it open and soldered in a new one) and was able to get the buttons to work with the regular adaptation procedure, but now the engine will turn over but not start. After much research it looks like the ECU and EWS have gotten out of synch and need to be resynched. I can see the option to resynch in the INPA engine options, but i can't do the procedure because it doesn't seem to be able to connect to the EWS or any other module for that matter. In order to be able to register the vehicle as an import I also need to change the bi-xenon (PO changed to regular Xenon) high beams to halogen high beams in NCS (which I am ready to go with in NCS for dummies) but cannot connect to the LCM either in order to make the simple coding change.

How the heck can I get the interface that I know so many of you use, and the software package that is also used by many, to connect to the modules in my car that it should connect to?!?

Thank you for your help in advance.
    Live, Love, Life, Amazing...

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Either something is up with your pin 7+8 connection, or something is wrong with your Standard Tools installation. I'll PM you an excellent version. I've had issues with Mike's installation missing some ecu files.

My Cars
    850i, Z3 2.3, X5 4.8is
    OK awesome. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help.

My Cars
    850i, Z3 2.3, X5 4.8is
    Ugh, no luck, same error codes. Getting the same codes from two different interfaces, on of which worked perfectly on my 1999 E39 touring. I jumped the ADS pins (20, 2, 17) and the OBD terminal read everything in INPA.

This E46 has me stumped. What in world could it be?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Check fuse 43 (5 amp) located inside the glove compartment.

My Cars
    850i, Z3 2.3, X5 4.8is
    all fuses are good. Car coming back from dealership after airbag recall replacement. Tech apparently can not code the halogens to be the full on high beams. I have seen the line item in NCS for dummies, but they can't or won't do it. I need something sorted out.

Does anyone know if the BiXenon flap for high beams is powered by the plug that plugs into the grey box attache to the headlights?

My Cars
    850i, Z3 2.3, X5 4.8is
    Dealership could not connect to any modules either. Anyways, car started up right away for them as running great now, and I jumped the middle wire on the high beam plug running to the OEM Ballast and connected it to the power wire for the Halogens. Now they work as the flash-to-pass highs as usual, and when I push the stalk in to get the stay-on highs the power sent from the LCM to the Xenon shutter powers the the Halogen bulb. It runs at high brightness like the flash-to-pass, NOT the daytime running lights.

It would seem that the shutter solenoids are dead on both sides. Oh well, will fix it eventually, but for now I have high beams.

Thanks to those of you who helped with advice, hopefully this will help someone else who tuns into a similar issue with their high beams.