Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: DAS VADR: Evan's E39 Touring Build Log

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Goddamn 6’8”!!! You should pull the front seats out and drive from the back seats!
    Ha, reach is good but I could go for a sunroof delete.

My Cars
    e39
    Not pictured: I tracked down a Business CD player with the right production year AND the right software to support an AUX-IN. Unfortunately my small Bluetooth card doesn't trigger the Aux in feature and the cable needs to be physically plugged in. Nice to have the Aux working but wish the BT was also functional, cords are so last decade. I also need some more bass, stock sub is a joke.

Through the magic of Craigslist I found a 740i being parted out 30 minutes away from me. It was a manual car with sports package and a VF supercharger on it. Neat build. Anyway, I finally got some beige contour sport seats.

The 740i had ~175,000 miles on it and the driverseat has some typical wear with light cracking and a deformed thigh bolster. Passenger seat is pretty minty. Both cleaned up well with a horse hair brush, some leather cleaner, and elbow grease. Leather was moisturized and buffed.

My Cars
    2002 540iT
    How do you like the sport contour seats? Is there a noticeable improvement?
    My 540it came with spare set of sport contours but the leather is pretty bad. Just wondering if it's worth the effort to make the swap.

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by danmurphymn View Post
    How do you like the sport contour seats? Is there a noticeable improvement?
    My 540it came with spare set of sport contours but the leather is pretty bad. Just wondering if it's worth the effort to make the swap.
    Since the comfort is subjective that is something you will need to experiment yourself to confirm. That being said one thing that is hard to fault is the adjustability of the contour seats since it is nice to have options. For me and my height I really appreciate the ability to extended the support under your hamstrings. There is definitely more support from the added bolstering which is appreciated for spirited moments but the base seats were surprisingly comfortable given their relatively limited adjustment and uninspiring look. The contour seats are already better than the base units and I am sure they will continue to get more comfortable with time and fine tuning of the adjustments but they are not as life-changing as some people made them out to be. I am also spoiled coming from E6X "comfort" seats which are pretty life changing IMO, same adjustments as the contours but thigh bolstering isn't as aggressive and the cushions feel softer, they are REALLY nice.

My Cars
    E39 Touring
    What year was the 740i? Was it a direct fit? She's looking great!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by Island Grown View Post
    What year was the 740i? Was it a direct fit? She's looking great!
    2001, yes, and thanks.

My Cars
    e39
    With my Aux in now working it became wildly apparent the stock subwoofer is almost non-existent and this is NOT OK as I listen to bass music.

I originally was going to mod the stock enclosure to accept a shallow 8" woofer but I reconsidered as I wasn't confidence that would give me the results I was really after so I went down the rabbit hole and ended up what I consider to be a quality sub setup.

Sundown SD-3 10"
    Basser E39 Touring Enclosure
    JBL MS-A5001
    Scosche LOC

Pretty excited to give the Sundown a go. The performance should be pretty impressive and after some poly fill is added to the enclosure the "mimicked" sealed volume should be about perfect at .5 cu/ft.

The JBL MS-A5001 also has some nice features with a strong output; 500w rms at both 4ohm and 2 ohm, integrated DSP, and a small footprint. 500w @ 4ohm should do the Sundown right.

Here are some goodies, sub and box are on the way.

Pre install

LOC installed

Amp installed, I used some hardware to mount it "floating" over the stock amp.

Tapped power from the distribution block, fuse mounted with some 3M VHB, module relocated with zip ties in anticipation for the sub enclosure

Amp wired up

Ran wires parallel with oem wiring

Ready for the sub and enclosure!

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    Are you going to replace the rest of the speakers?
    '98 M3 5spd - '03 540it 6spd M-Sport

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by QtheGenius View Post
    Are you going to replace the rest of the speakers?
    I mean it's inevitable right? Might do BSW for simplicity if I can find a deal on them. Otherwise I would probably upgrade the front components, get an amp, and delete the rear stage completely. On my M5 I only ran a set of DLS MS6A 6.5" components which were powered by an Alpine PDX, no rear stage. Some might think a single pair of components isn't much for 2 12s but they did great with an MS8 processor. I am a big fan of front-stage-only configurations, surround isn't needed for music IMO.

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Just a late reply - Sport Contour seats are awesome - I have a set for the wagon a great upgrade

My Cars
    2003 540iT Touring Wagon
    Impressive the amount of work you have accomplished in a short time, you should open a shop specializing these E39 wagons...you're perfectionism & attention to detail is just what other shops are lacking and owners are looking for when they cant do the work themselves...

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHES View Post
    Just a late reply - Sport Contour seats are awesome - I have a set for the wagon a great upgrade
    Late responses welcomed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SCRSUVS View Post
    Impressive the amount of work you have accomplished in a short time, you should open a shop specializing these E39 wagons...you're perfectionism & attention to detail is just what other shops are lacking and owners are looking for when they cant do the work themselves...
    Kind words! Thanks. People told me similar things in my E61 thread and I actually helped out some local people with projects.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The plan was to simply replace the stock SLS airbags with some new Arnotts but I ran into a snag after swapping the bags where the compressor wasn't responsive and it sent me on a diagnostic spree to finally arrive at the conclusion the compressor bit the dust.

So with the new bags installed the compressor was not activating. I checked fuses, airlines, fittings, sensors, and electrical connectors. All looked good. Although I was getting the "suspension inactive" warning in the cluster I wasn't able to pull a code via INPA and the compressor also wasn't responding to any hand controls.

I dug deeper and tested the relay which was *clicking* with 12v, solenoids were also responsive. I pulled the compressor and bench tested it with my DC power supply by passing the relay and it fired right up and sounded normal. This made me think the relay was the issue, Google told me that although the relay still *clicks* there can be an internal short which limits function. I tracked down a universal 20a relay to swap in, compressor still didn't work but I was hearing an audible hummm from the compressor so I got a replacement and all is well, it turns out the stock relay was also functioning. I assume the compressor has some binding which is limiting it from "getting going." All should be good now.

Saggy rear, blurry photo

New vs Old

Diagnosing

With the new pump installed I took the opportunity to double check for leaks at all fitting junctions with some soapy water. All looked good.

I had some ducting insulation left over from my E61 so I installed some in the rear cargo area for the E39, this should help keep things quiet in general and especially once the sub is installed.

My Cars
    528iT
    Sweet looking amp. DSP capable too? Sounds like the ticket for me.

You could try ordering a rebuild kit from bagpiping Andy and bring that old compressor back to life as a spare or sell it...I think the kit is $30 or less.

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
    Sweet looking amp. DSP capable too? Sounds like the ticket for me.

You could try ordering a rebuild kit from bagpiping Andy and bring that old compressor back to life as a spare or sell it...I think the kit is $30 or less.
    Yea, I thought about it. I have enough projects so I need to pick my battles.

The JBL amp has been great so far. I am "borrowing" this from my E61 which is down for repairs in the E61 I have BSW speakers and 2 ultra-slim Earthquake 8" subs which are under the front seats (factory location). The subs are poor performers maybe from the oem enclosures, maybe because I didn't set them up right, who knows but I am excited to see what this amp can do with the Sundown SD-3, it should be pretty rowdy. I have a JBL MS-8 processor in the E61 so never needed to capitalize on the tuning capabilities of the amp.

My Cars
    e39
    Took the roof rack off for a fleeting moment. Where it is always nice to see a wagon with a rack system on it #Utilitarian, there is no arguing with the clean lines with it off.

This thing is just begging for an M5 rear bumper

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    Well, I WAS going to save money for my wedding, but I guess I'm going to lower my wagon instead. Guess we aren't getting a photobooth...
    '98 M3 5spd - '03 540it 6spd M-Sport

My Cars
    E46 M3 E39 M5T CLK55
    Just a tip on the SLS bags. I’ve replaced them on Mercs in the past and was always taught to let them raise to the limit before letting the car on the ground to avoid pinching.

I followed the same practice with the touring a few months back when I snagged a deal on amazon for arnott bags. Like you, I check everything.

The fix, let the car on the ground floor and sit in the back. My body weight was enough to trigger the limit and fire the compressor up.

Others have had the issue of the arms flipping when jacking the cars so you may want to check that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Good work! Glad you got it up and running following the failed compressor. I talked to you briefly on the FB group about how i ran into similar problems, and it ended up being the compressor. Glad i didn't lead you astray.

Looks good sans rack, although i agree with the utilitarian aspect of these cars. Currently waiting to buy the Cross rail adapters from Yakima so i can fit my E36's Rack/basket to the E39.

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by QtheGenius View Post
    Well, I WAS going to save money for my wedding, but I guess I'm going to lower my wagon instead. Guess we aren't getting a photobooth...
    Just collect a bunch of random costume pieces, put them on a table, hang a back drop, and include a selfie stick and viola; a selfie station. Cheaper than renting a stupid booth and after the people take the photos they already have them on their phone. Easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunmlavery View Post
    Just a tip on the SLS bags. I’ve replaced them on Mercs in the past and was always taught to let them raise to the limit before letting the car on the ground to avoid pinching.

I followed the same practice with the touring a few months back when I snagged a deal on amazon for arnott bags. Like you, I check everything.

The fix, let the car on the ground floor and sit in the back. My body weight was enough to trigger the limit and fire the compressor up.

Others have had the issue of the arms flipping when jacking the cars so you may want to check that as well.
    I like to think I check everything but now that I am noticing the compressor still coming on more than it should I think there is still a small link and reflecting on the connections I checked I don't recall checking the solenoids. I saw a recent video on Youtube where the air leak was from the distribution block/solenoids itself, he found this by dunking the entire unit in a bowl of water. It is the only thing I didn't check so fingers crossed that is the issue, now it is just a matter of going back in to diagnose ...again.

I had that issue with the sensor arms being flipped on my E61, I played around with the suspension and went for a ride and the rear just DUMPED on me and I was dragging ass through the neighborhood heading back to my garage. My tires did a number on my fenders that day, no bueno.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty S50 View Post
    Good work! Glad you got it up and running following the failed compressor. I talked to you briefly on the FB group about how i ran into similar problems, and it ended up being the compressor. Glad i didn't lead you astray.

Looks good sans rack, although i agree with the utilitarian aspect of these cars. Currently waiting to buy the Cross rail adapters from Yakima so i can fit my E36's Rack/basket to the E39.
    Yea, it was odd timing for the compressor to throw a fit when the bags were being replaced. The battery was weak from my coding (no charger) and disconnecting it all the time so perhaps the battery didn't have the juice to get the compressor going but the compressor still wasn't firing with the engine running, perhaps it would have fired if the car was driven and the alternator was rejuvenating the battery but at this point, for future function, it is probably better to just replace the compressor then rely on the stars to align in order for it to work properly.

My Cars
    E46 M3 E39 M5T CLK55
    I hear ya. Just thought I would throw in my experience I had in with the E39 setup. Sounds like you have it covered.

Also, my reading comprehension skills are terrible on the phone/Tapatalk app. I noticed you replaced the compressor after sent over my reply.

Nice car and build. I may PM you about your lighting setup if you don’t mind. It’s an area that I may mess with in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunmlavery View Post

Nice car and build. I may PM you about your lighting setup if you don’t mind. It’s an area that I may mess with in the near future.
    No problem, reach out when you are ready.

- - - Updated - - -

Weekends!

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    Very nice build. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Ed

Keep on modding and fixing!..

My Cars
    e39
    Finished the stereo install.....

Moving up to the front doors.

Some people were saying the HiFi systems didn't have the 3rd speaker in the doors, (mid-woofers?) but my touring did!

I was piecing together a component set on Parts-Express with some Peerless woofers and tweeters but once the crossovers were added the total price was around $140 which is still a good value but more than I wanted to pay. I found a set of JBL GTO 5 1/4" components on clearance for $70 shipped, hearing good things about the GTO series in general (mainly amps and subs) I figured it was worth a shot.

JBL GTO vs stock

Nice match depth-wise.

Tweeters were going to be a tight fit so I removed the grills

I tried to fit into the stock tweeter location but it required so much trimming the mounts were rendered useless so I switched my attention to the mid-woofer locations by the air vents, I was pleasantly surprised to find that after a very small amount of trimming to the mounting ring the tweeters *snapped* into place, no need for epoxy or other mounting solution.

The JBL MS8 is the crutch for all of my stereo builds, after hearing the results in my M5 I was a believer. I don't have the time or skill to tune a system properly. The 18w/ch the MS8 sends would be "fine" but I picked up a Kenwood KAC-8405 locally for $20, I got the amp before buying the GTO speakers so I was expecting the speakers to be 4ohm and consequently the amp would send 60w rms per channel. Interestingly the GTOs are 2ohm so they get 90w rms fromm the Kenwood.

I took advantage of the distribution block in the rear of the wagon, it made all the power connections nice and clean.

Speaker connections soldered into oem wiring.

GTO woofers installed

TIS was a great resource to confirm wiring

The GOODS! Sundown SD-3 D4 10" Bought it refurbished directly through Sundown $130 shipped.
    [IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/FGoSTx4B7XPiz5PhrqoTiEzExYzYQ2evkVFxXyVpEX_EhD***L 71KkeghmtG_w0MTMJ0dxRN2Dw_h1lTl2mV1lWYmI2Z8uZf0gxI 1YPOtFDyqdp9ENwYvjGk7R7KGpj9uFGl5UmPYBIEMtE9-Eu08p8zrq7e-OpI_Aaa1_671b2_PEQZsWgbeIDVolwCRSZvKaDBLwinxfTyRDa qwHGQ1--8Vu7zmctroxnCcQiqAAsuuDwEXblANS0SZkJXkY31raH2RfbaW 4KgKsSlHaq23q66ymuhb7Wi3bpyCJ5vIV0tg7zqebGzi2P5pzI 30iuwH5yC1XKMK-Q05sjHXW7XscF_7w1x4HZ6Sfyo3zgYK59_py_Z80ybSAtRU45r KmNL9J_my9511HEJftC6qRjmsjuNb8A71mLB5J3ujuTRfzo6NN pSns9ygGpXWYWHMfSpaauiQDLnRBQHHccnc2vQofPLOlHXzDoM C5xUYB4Vgd2BworRY7ZDvcmCXilPPcRJ0WqvrDCCr-logATqdM2_zGUtvGmFrCW6oPxsCR4vDrZiu8q-3qJZ6JmffOp3HfQih9ME85NVRItoAPEAFBrD61JoT2gszeSui8 _gdSUt=w1316-h987-no[/IMG]

Sundown vs stock. That is what I call and upgrade!

After researching and considering building my own box it became apparent this BASSER enclosure is a really great value. The enclosure offers .5 cu/ft which is pretty impressive considering the space it's working with, Sundown recommends .4 cu/ft for the SD-3 and with .1 cu/ft of displacement this enclosure should work well with the sub. You can see how the enclosure maximizes internal volume but extending into the small pocket of space. It is a tight fit and there is some reorganization and trimming to get the box to fit properly but totally worth it IMO.

In addition to some work getting the enclosure to fit properly I needed to bore out the speaker opening to accommodate the large basket on the Sundown, a couple passes sanding took care of this.

The best part about this enclosure is it doesn't eat up any cargo area.

....which Annie was stoked on!

Put my Bosch laser level to use.

I didn't have any fancy tools to cleanly cut a 9" circle so after I had the middle marked I used a mixing bowl to trace a circle and then it did many passes with a razor to score the cutout, after it was deep enough I used a hammer to chisel it out.

All things considered I was happy with how it came out, I really wanted to avoid the frayed/hacked-up look and utilizing a razor I get a nice clean edge.

Although the sub is recessed behind the trim panel I will likely install a grill. I was hoping to get a flush mesh style grill but considering how low the sub sits to the floor the grill would likely sit higher and be offset from the sub which would drive me crazy. There are the horizontal bar style grills but I would prefer to have something that covers the perimeter of the hole I cut. Still researching options.

This wasn't going to work...

Spent $13 on a 2-sided 24" table top from Home Depot.

Prepped to be an economical amp rack.

Happy with the results; simple, clean, and effective. Since the rack floats I have room below for my jumper cables and various emergency supplies. I still have the carpeted cargo tray which resides above this (but still under the cargo floor) so in addition to the cargo area not being compromised I still have 2 tiers of storage above and below the amps.

My Cars
    528iT
    DUDE.

Freaking amazing.

Ill prolly follow your route BUT I need to keep my 5th wheel. I dont need as much hit as you do so maybe some smaller amps can fit in the pocket between the rear cargo tray and the rear seats.

My Cars
    2000 528i Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
    Finally the clunking, shuttering, and side stepping behavior of faulty subframe bushings have been alleviated. With the exception of replacing the airbags which might have a small leak, this is the last piece of the suspension puzzle. There is lots of buzz about Meyle HD bushings and I also read that the Lemforders are a top pick. ECS had a flash sale and Lemforders were ~$32/ea so it made the choice easy.

Can you tell which one is new?

Took the opportunity to replace the diff bushings, Meyle HDs in the rear and Einhorn Industries billet front.

DS center bearing looked a little droopy, noted.

My "muffler shop special" muffler delete was a bit of an eyesore and the chrome tip was turning out to be a little too "bright" for the Vader theme so I hit it with some ceramic high temp paint.

Much better! Annie the Australian Shepard loves to live dangerously....
    Where did you get your tool to remove your subframe bushings. BTW great ride!

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast