Thread: HELP ME WITH THIS ISSUE OUTTA NOWHERE ON MY 328ci

My Cars
    2000, BMW 328ci

HELP ME WITH THIS ISSUE OUTTA NOWHERE ON MY 328ci

ok so i bought my i believe its a 2001 328ci but when i look in the door pannel says 2000' . anywayz i am fairly well edgecated with the E46 as i have had a 2001 325 ci DINAN 3 and i literally constantly was up grading it in every way i could . not always cuz it was in need but mainly cuz i enjoyed my guy time out in my garage and i really liked to work on my E46 everything on the car seemed to be very easy to reach and work on , and i am very mechanically inclined and "for the most part can fix anything i touch " ,
    so here the question and problem , and im sure its happened before to a few of my fellw bmw brothers , so the other day i was sitting in the fred meyers parking lot with my jack ass friend who happened to have his new code reader with him , so he plugged it in cuz i kept having my ABS,BREAK ,and that lil triangle light come on for a while then it would just randomly shut off , but thats a seperate question ,
    when he plugged it in codes that came up were speed sensor and an o2 senson bank2 s1 . well then he went and cleared or reset the codes without me saying to do so . pissed me off , ok so over the corse of that night i slept in my car and had it running most of the night , then after well pretty much outta nowhere 100% at random the 328 ci started acting as tho there was a power loss and then she was blowing black smoke , running like total hell , sputtering and idle was up and down and just honestly i thoght oh shit great this engine is shot , " what trick did the guy that sold me the dam thig imply on my car that made it run literally perfect for the past week i have owned it , for it to just all of a sudden crap out so majorly on me...
    any ways so i plugged it back in to my ODB2 reader and now rather then the one o2 sensor code showing up im getting like 8 or 9 codes , misfires in 4,5,6, MAF meter , bank 1 and bank 2 o2 sensors upstream , and some others , so im like well holy shit WHATS WRONG <???? THATS WHERE I ASK YOU FELLOW FRIENDS OUT HERE ON THIS FORM.???? WILL SOMONE PLESAE HELP ME OUT , THANKS SO MUCH ..

PS. HAVE DONE SOME READING AND I FOUND SOME ONE WITH WHAT SOUNDS LIKE THE EXACT SAME KINDA ISSUE THAT HAPPEND BEING ALL THIS BS, HAPPENING AT RANDOM OUTTA KNOWHERE AND AFTER HE SAID HE CHANGED THE PLUGS AND FUEL PUMP AN FILTER , AND COIL PACKS , THE GUY SAID HIS 328 WAS RUNNING BETTER BUT DIDNT FIX IT UNTILL SOMONE SUGGESTED THAT HE SWITCH OUT HIS " DISA VALVE ," OR MANIFOLD ADJUSTER SOMETHING OR OTHER ,, THEN AFTER HE REPLACED THE "DISA" HE SAID THE BEEMER WAS RUNNING PERFECTLY ..
    WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ??? PLEASE GET BACK TO ME ASAP .. THANKS EVERYONE , CHRIS !!!

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Chris: I don't think your pal or his code reader caused any issues with your car. Sleeping in it all night with the motor running... did you run a hose from the exhaust to the cabin? Nah, J/K.

Given your claim of mechanical competence, you probably know that one fault can cause the ECU to record a code, but it can spawn multiple faults that may appear unrelated. So what I'd do is get a code reader and clear all the faults. Confirm they are all gone. Then drive the car, if you can, and see if, or which, fault re-occurs first. Fix that fault. With a little luck it cause a cascade of other faults and once you rectify the original problem, all the others will no recur.

Also... if you do a lot on your car, sooner or later you'll F*CK UP. Nothing personal, happens to all of us. The lesson learned is called "Mechanic's Rule" and it says your approach to troubleshooting should be to review whatever you did last, then next to last. Ponder the inherent implications of that... and report back.

By the by, typing in all capitals is the equivalent of shouting at someone that's right close, and is considered bad form. Crappy sentence construction won't help your case either. Clear, concise, simple declarative sentences are what we need to see the issues in clear form.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I would remove the rubber intake boots along with the MAF.
    Clean MAF using CRC MAF spray cleaner.
    Squeeze and bend rubber intake boots and associated hoses,
    carefully checking for any cracks or tears, replace if any found.
    Remove and check condition of spark plugs, replace if black and sooty, carbon or oil fouled.
    After all this is performed, clear codes, reset adaptations if possible.
    Start car, let idle for 3~5min, if any dash warning lights appear -scan for codes now,
    if non appeared-drive vehicle for a short drive cycle or until warning lights appear, then scan for codes.
    Post back with your observations and results.