Thread: Got my MSPNP Pro installed last night. Questions about upping my low idle

My Cars
    1988 325ic

Got my MSPNP Pro installed last night. Questions about upping my low idle

Got my Megasquirt PNP Pro installed last night.

Car started up first try.

My idle is a very low (550rpm or so)

Ive tweaked the fuel table to add a bit more fuel in the cells right before where its idling, in hopes to stop it from wanting to die when giving it a rev. That helped a bit, but I still need to get it idling better...and higher.

What are some things I can change to get my idle up, and to try and get it to not cycle up and down so much?

Can I do a physical adjustment (adjust hard stop) on the throttle body, or will this wreak havok with my IAC?

Ive got a lightweight flywheel, so low idle isn't helping me out any.

Other than it wanting to die at stop lights, lol, the car runs very well. I have not gone into boost yet, at least not till i can get it idling better.

I've got another car running Megasquirt 2. Its a turbo aircooled VW motor. It doesn't have an IAC or anything, so these settings are all new to me.

I appreciate all the help!

Jay

My Cars
    94 325is
    Go into idle settings and adjust the pwm idle duty cycle.

My Cars
    86 325es
    It won't hurt anything to adjust the screw on the throttle but it can be fixed with the settings in the idle menu. If you can post screenshots of the settings in the idle menus I can suggest what to try. If it surges up and down the best way to combat that is with idle based timing control which will be another tab in the same drop down.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    1988 325ic
    Thanks guys.

When i get out of work today, I will try messing with the pwm duty cycle. Hopefully that will calm down my hunting at idle. I knew there had to be a way of opening up the IAC to increase my idle.

What should i target for idle speed with lightweight flywheel? 900-1000 rpm?

Thanks again.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    once tuned right, should have no problem idling around 780-800.

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    Get the car to idle good in open loop first. You can find the adjustment under the idle settings in the PWM vs Coolant temp table. Increase the value until you get near where you want it to idle.

I used to do closed loop idle with the PWM stuff, but recently ive been using open loop for the valve position and then use timing to achieve target. Seems to work better with quick loads from turning on lights, AC compressors and auto trans cars.
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    If you stabilize idle with the throttle plate and have stable idle timing (look at the cell in the main table and the cells it hunts to) with little or no idle adjustment timing tables its straight forward.

if you stabilize idle with timing the main table needs to sit a few degrees low or high and the idle adjustment table has to pull it to stability. At least with the aem infinity. Here is a little more clarification. The main ignition table at idle cannot have a timing value that is dead nuts in the center for stability. The idle ignition tables have to push or pull on timing a little lopsided. If its not apparent with a luke warm car at startup it becomes apparent on a hot car decelerating or vice versa.