Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make a 2001 z3 3.0 worth more with modifications?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 3.0i

How to make a 2001 z3 3.0 worth more with modifications?

Hello all, I was wondering how to increase the value of my green 2001 z3 3.0 so that I could sell it and make some sort of profit if/when I sell it. It is a father and son project where my father buys a car, we fix it up together and then, when I am 16, I either pay my father back and keep it as my first car, or sell it and keep some of the profits. It had 250,000 miles on it when we garaged it a few years ago soon after buying it, and we have now have it licensed and will start working on it in the near future. Sorry about the long backstory, but I just wanted to make it clear that any profits are good and that I really don't care how much I make out of it if we decide to sell it. I also want to make it clear that I know that it is a very high mileage car and that is why we bought it so we could get it cheap. I DON'T want you guys to tell me that I can't make any money on a car with this many miles, because I already kind of know that and am wondering what else I could do to the car that could give me some profits. I also know that cleaning the car is another great way to increase the value when you sell it, so please don't tell me about that. I have consulted with several websites that said that most performance upgrades will not yield much profit, if any so I am skipping that for the most part; but if you guys disagree please say so. I did come up some other ideas/modifications that might make the car gain value.

In no specific order:
    1. Get a remote starter - all of the websites recommended this as an easy way to make your car gain value. However, I have heard that remote control starters don't work as well on manual cars and that there are not as many companies that make them that are compatible with manual cars. How much do these typically cost and how much money should I expect to make if I install this in the car or should I expect to make any at all?

2. Wooden dash kit - I don't know if this would actually add much value to the car, but I found this wooden dash/trim set on carid for around $270. I thought this could potentially add value to the car (I will buy the real walnut burl with cupholder) but I don't know.

3. Reupholstering kit - We will be reupholstering the interior anyway, as it is completely trashed, but how much would a leather reupholstering kit cost with carpeting, and how much value would that add to the car?

4. LED head lights - This is more about the battery dyeing, but would replacing the headlights/taillights with LEDs increase the value of the car? How much would they cost?

5. USB port - I can't remember if the car already has these in it, but how much value would wiring up a USB port add to the car? I am assuming this wouldn't cost much, but if I am wrong please inform me of that.

6. Back up camera - This includes other sensors like lane warning systems and front collision warning systems that the new bmws come with. I don't actually want any of these, but it will make my mother feel better about letting me drive the car and it could potentially add value to the car.

7. Subframe Reinforcement - I know the subframe a major issue on the z3, so I will be installing one of these regardless of if I would make money installing it, that would be more of an added bonus. I have heard of the forbes kit, but that is expensive so I was wondering if there were any good alternatives. My father knows how to weld, but we have no welding equipment in the garage, so we will probably be using a mechanic to install it. How much would this cost and do you think that it would allow for a good yield when/if we sell the car.

8. Bushings - With 250k miles, the suspension and bushings are a bit worn out. I have heard that Rogue engineering is good but what do you guys think is the best company? Also what is the difference between a subframe mounts, rear shocks, and bushings. All of these have been recommended to me, but I don't really know what they are. Also how important are transmission mounts and do you think any of these things will allow me to make money on the car.

9. Suspension - I'm not really thinking of getting a new suspension as those are expensive and, as I am not even 16 yet, I do not have any money. If they will allow me to sell my car for a few k more than I would consider it, however. I have heard that the AST 5100 series is good, but again those are expensive, so if you know of any that are good and cheaper, or go on sale from time to time, please inform me of them.

10. Racing seatbelts - I probably wouldn't end up racing this car, but in case the next owner does, or I decide I want to later on, I will probably end up getting racing seatbelts. Which are the best ones that you would recommend? Would I make money getting them when I sell the car?

I'm sorry if that was a lot of questions for you guys to answer, or if I asked a lot of noobie questions, but as I said, I am new to cars, and want to maximize my return so that I could (maybe) buy a beater m coupe. Ha ha, probably never gonna happen. Anyway, I just wanted to say that my father is experienced with restoring cars and we will be installing as much of this ourselves as we can, so please tell me if I will not be able to do this without a mechanic and how much it will probably cost. With that said, this is not an Instructables. I am not looking for you guys to tell me how to do everything; I can figure that out on my own. I am also not looking for you guys to tell me that fixing up a car with this many miles is not worth it without any proof, but if you really believe that, you can write it. I was also wondering if having the dealer so some things (like replacing a door panel or changing the tires) would add value to the car because I have heard that they keep track of all the stuff you ask them to do and that document could add some value. Would this offset the expensive of going to the dealer, or am I better off doing it myself or having a local mechanic do it? Also, does the z3 come with run flats like the new bmws? Lastly, are there any things that you think I should know about the car, or that would allow me to make profit when/if I sell it? I am looking forward to reading your responses.

Sauerkrautcars.

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    The answers to some of these questions are quite lengthly and can be found, in detail, in our faq. You must start there. The post borders on unreasonable.

You might get answers you don't like because a car with a quarter million miles on it might need all funds directed elsewhere than back up cameras and wood dashes, etc. Just imo, of course.

In order to advise you, we would probably need to know how much you have in the car and your mod budget to figure out if profit is likely. 250k miles is working against you.

Good luck,
    Terry

Note 8/Tapatalk.
    Last edited by Terry F.; 09-18-2017 at 12:05 AM.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by sauerkrautcars View Post
    Hello all, I was wondering how to increase the value of my green 2001 z3 3.0 so that I could sell it and make some sort of profit if/when I sell it. It is a father and son project where my father buys a car, we fix it up together and then, when I am 16, I either pay my father back and keep it as my first car, or sell it and keep some of the profits. It had 250,000 miles on it when we garaged it a few years ago soon after buying it, and we have now have it licensed and will start working on it in the near future. Sorry about the long backstory, but I just wanted to make it clear that any profits are good and that I really don't care how much I make out of it if we decide to sell it. I also want to make it clear that I know that it is a very high mileage car and that is why we bought it so we could get it cheap. I DON'T want you guys to tell me that I can't make any money on a car with this many miles, because I already kind of know that and am wondering what else I could do to the car that could give me some profits. I also know that cleaning the car is another great way to increase the value when you sell it, so please don't tell me about that. I have consulted with several websites that said that most performance upgrades will not yield much profit, if any so I am skipping that for the most part; but if you guys disagree please say so. I did come up some other ideas/modifications that might make the car gain value.

In no specific order:
    1. Get a remote starter - all of the websites recommended this as an easy way to make your car gain value. However, I have heard that remote control starters don't work as well on manual cars and that there are not as many companies that make them that are compatible with manual cars. How much do these typically cost and how much money should I expect to make if I install this in the car or should I expect to make any at all?

2. Wooden dash kit - I don't know if this would actually add much value to the car, but I found this wooden dash/trim set on carid for around $270. I thought this could potentially add value to the car (I will buy the real walnut burl with cupholder) but I don't know.

3. Reupholstering kit - We will be reupholstering the interior anyway, as it is completely trashed, but how much would a leather reupholstering kit cost with carpeting, and how much value would that add to the car?

4. LED head lights - This is more about the battery dyeing, but would replacing the headlights/taillights with LEDs increase the value of the car? How much would they cost?

5. USB port - I can't remember if the car already has these in it, but how much value would wiring up a USB port add to the car? I am assuming this wouldn't cost much, but if I am wrong please inform me of that.

6. Back up camera - This includes other sensors like lane warning systems and front collision warning systems that the new bmws come with. I don't actually want any of these, but it will make my mother feel better about letting me drive the car and it could potentially add value to the car.

7. Subframe Reinforcement - I know the subframe a major issue on the z3, so I will be installing one of these regardless of if I would make money installing it, that would be more of an added bonus. I have heard of the forbes kit, but that is expensive so I was wondering if there were any good alternatives. My father knows how to weld, but we have no welding equipment in the garage, so we will probably be using a mechanic to install it. How much would this cost and do you think that it would allow for a good yield when/if we sell the car.

8. Bushings - With 250k miles, the suspension and bushings are a bit worn out. I have heard that Rogue engineering is good but what do you guys think is the best company? Also what is the difference between a subframe mounts, rear shocks, and bushings. All of these have been recommended to me, but I don't really know what they are. Also how important are transmission mounts and do you think any of these things will allow me to make money on the car.

9. Suspension - I'm not really thinking of getting a new suspension as those are expensive and, as I am not even 16 yet, I do not have any money. If they will allow me to sell my car for a few k more than I would consider it, however. I have heard that the AST 5100 series is good, but again those are expensive, so if you know of any that are good and cheaper, or go on sale from time to time, please inform me of them.

10. Racing seatbelts - I probably wouldn't end up racing this car, but in case the next owner does, or I decide I want to later on, I will probably end up getting racing seatbelts. Which are the best ones that you would recommend? Would I make money getting them when I sell the car?

I'm sorry if that was a lot of questions for you guys to answer, or if I asked a lot of noobie questions, but as I said, I am new to cars, and want to maximize my return so that I could (maybe) buy a beater m coupe. Ha ha, probably never gonna happen. Anyway, I just wanted to say that my father is experienced with restoring cars and we will be installing as much of this ourselves as we can, so please tell me if I will not be able to do this without a mechanic and how much it will probably cost. With that said, this is not an Instructables. I am not looking for you guys to tell me how to do everything; I can figure that out on my own. I am also not looking for you guys to tell me that fixing up a car with this many miles is not worth it without any proof, but if you really believe that, you can write it. I was also wondering if having the dealer so some things (like replacing a door panel or changing the tires) would add value to the car because I have heard that they keep track of all the stuff you ask them to do and that document could add some value. Would this offset the expensive of going to the dealer, or am I better off doing it myself or having a local mechanic do it? Also, does the z3 come with run flats like the new bmws? Lastly, are there any things that you think I should know about the car, or that would allow me to make profit when/if I sell it? I am looking forward to reading your responses.

Sauerkrautcars.
    Knows it won't make profit but demands we give advice on adding parts to a 250K mile 3.0 in order to help him make "good" profit to buy a beater M coupe

I love where this is going

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Sell it immediately for whatever you can get and throw the money in an IRA. You'll almost certainly make a ton more that way.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    How much research have you done in this market? Is there a demand for a 3.0 with 250k miles? How much did your 3.0 cost? Unless you got a real nice looking 3.0 for a song, the chances of making a profit are low.

Good luck
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    2006 325i
    Anyone else think this is a troll?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Don't feed it.
    Oh hell ! I just did !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    89 750iL | 91 325iX
    With that many miles you won't add any value to the car, you will only sustain the value and take on standard depreciation

Lucky for you, the 3.0 has minimal depreciation for some unknown reason but yours is worth about $2000-$3000 depending upon condition.

You can buy one with 70k-100k miles for somewhere between $7000 to $10k
    Last edited by Bear Grylls; 09-18-2017 at 02:49 PM.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Mods will devalue the car.

Bushings and suspension upgrade in long run will minimize car's devaluation process in future (as that might increase life of other parts).

Other mentioned mods I would not recommend. Many potential buyers will not appreciate those.

My Cars
    M-Roadster
    OP, What is your mod budget and how much do you have invested in the car?

Note 8/Tapatalk.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    Z3 3.0 - X1 35i - X1 28i
    I'm sorry, but I agree with everyone here. A Z3 with 250,000 miles on it will never make you alot of money.

Sell it for what you can get for it, but don't keep sinking more money into it as you'll never get more from it.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I don't think you're going to be able to make money off of a Z3.

Mods usually lower the value of a car, because you take a car that appeals to a broad audience (factory) and tailor it for an enthusiast with parts that may or may not be shoddy and badly-installed.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    I'll bite as I have nothing else to do today.

1. If your car is a manual transmission, you will have to modify it to work in an unsafe manor as you have to disable the safety features of the clutch needing to be depressed in order to start. This means if someone has the car in gear when parked (as most of us do), the car can start while in gear and hopefully only wreck the car. More likely, it will cause property damage or worse yet, harm another person or pet. Either way, that's why you don't see remote starts on manual transmissions. If your car is an automatic, the remote start will work but since these cars are mostly warm weather cars, it is not a feature that most are willing to pay for. Either way, it DOES NOT increase resale value.

2. Wooden console would only add some value if the current console is in very bad shape. No one pays extra for it so this mod in itself DOES NOT add resale value.

3. Interior reupholstering WILL ADD resale value as long as it is done on the cheap. You may find used seats or carpeting for good prices and then it's all labor on your part. Some kits are out there to re dye your existing seats and work well. People like the look of a tidy car. Yes I said tidy. I'm old.

4. LED lights DO NOT add any value to the car in fact they DECREASE resale value. They don't look right on this car and will turn buyers away. Instead, get a good headlight restoring system and go that way.

5. Adding a USB port DOES NOT add resale value. It's a nice addition but you will not get that money back. It's too easy to get a USB adapter for the 12V socket.

6. Back up camera DOES NOT add value to the car. With the top down, you can see everything. Since it's not factory, no one will pay extra for it.

7. Subframe reinforcement DOES ADD value to the car but costs at least $1000 when you figure the kit and other parts if you do all work yourself. If you have someone else do it, plan on $3000. Either way, on a 250,000 mile car, it will not increase the resale value of the car that much so you will be losing money.

8/9. Bushings and suspension refresh WILL ADD resale value to the car. Don't go crazy with coil overs and poly bushings. Monroe shocks/struts will be fine along with OEM or aftermarket rubber bushings. Poly bushings are more expensive and DECREASE RESALE value.

10. Racing belts will DEFINITELY DECREASE resale. It gives buyers the image of a car that has been beat on and turns them away.

You need to understand the difference between adding value and resale value. They are different. Any money you put into the car results in adding value to the car but unless it's something people are willing to pay for, it doesn't translate into resale value. People look at a backup camera and say "That's nice, but I'm not paying another $300 for that." People are willing to add more money in the pot for maintenance and upkeep. Oil and fluid changes, brake jobs, oil leaked fixed, good tires, new belts. When those things are taken care of first, that's impressive for the buyer. I'd rather see a new set of plugs in a car than a set of racing belts any day.
    Last edited by Wertles; 09-19-2017 at 09:21 AM.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
    Poly bushings are more expensive and DECREASE RESALE value.
    I can't agree on this. IMHO poly bushings are a good improvement in car handling over rubber ones and will last longer too. 100% agree with everything else.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I agree, this could be a troll post. It seems just too unreasonable. But, I was 14 once, and raised sons, so it could be legit. I say: spend as little money as possible. The max value of a car with those miles is so low that you will hit it immediately. I'm talking used parts from generous sellers, and no "upgrades" unless you happen on used parts. Just get it reasonable and sell it. You could end up with a "profit" that amounts to about $1/hour of labor. Consider it a learning lesson, and a chance to work with dad. Many of us didn't have that chance.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    I can't agree on this. IMHO poly bushings are a good improvement in car handling over rubber ones and will last longer too. 100% agree with everything else.
    I also think poly bushings are an upgrade and I also have them in my car but when you are looking for RESALE value, you lose out on money. They are very costly compared to their rubber counterparts and you will not recoupe that money when it comes time to sell so it is a losing modification. Potential buyers are looking for the best STOCK example they can afford. People are only willing to pay for modifications they do themselves. I have so much "value" added to my car, yet my resale value isn't too far off of any stock example out there. I have the Forbes subframe reinforcement($2000), exhaust ($800) 6 speed transmission swap ($3000) etc. but the $3000 it cost me for the transmission swap will never be seen on resale. It might be worth $500 extra at sale and probably only because it was a certified rebuilt transmission with a warranty. That means a $2500 loss to me just on that modification alone if I ever sold the car. When buying a car, people look at the general condition of the car and base their value off of that. If it's a $4500 car, it's a $4500 car whether or not it has poly bushings or rubber ones.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    2001 MCoupe
    Agree, no "mods" are going to pay you back on a high mileage car like that. Best bang for the buck is going to be a budget restoration returning as much of the car to its original state and hopefully promising the new owner a trouble free toy. Only things I'd mod are those that address weaknesses in the original design, like subframe reinforcement, shifter, RSMs, and maybe cooling system. Even there I'd stick to good used parts as they become available from other owners who are replacing theirs for some reason.
    2001 Steel Gray MCoupe - 147,000 miles and owned since new. MCS 2WNR suspension, Hotchkiss swaybar, poly bushings all around, cat delete headers with custom tune, 3.73 LSD, and Clownshoe Motorsports rear subframe reinforcement.

2014 Porsche Cayman S / 2022 BMW X3M Competition / 2020 Ram Rebel

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    if/when I sell it.......Wood dash and run the sucker up to 300,000.

My Cars
    z3
    Stick-on wood dash kit, poly bushing and remote start. Then take it to Barret Jackson and start bathing in gold coins baby

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Is wood dash considered to be better than standard? Getting rid of wood was the first thing I did on my yellow z3 when I got it. It's a roadster, not some kind of a sailing yacht...

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Ah, but the classic 60's British roadster that the car is trying to emulate often had a (real) wood dash. Jaguar, Triumph, Lotus, TVR, Elva.... about the only ones I can think of that did not have real wood were those low-bux Austin Healeys and MGs.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Stick-on wood dash kit, poly bushing and remote start. Then take it to Barret Jackson and start bathing in gold coins baby
    Orrrrr, sell now for bitcoin and hold on for a double of your money.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Ah, but the classic 60's British roadster that the car is trying to emulate often had a (real) wood dash. Jaguar, Triumph, Lotus, TVR, Elva.... about the only ones I can think of that did not have real wood were those low-bux Austin Healeys and MGs.
    When I found my Z3 the wood dash and tan interior were very well liked by me. That and the 3.0 six. And yea, it does remind me of the sports cars of the Sixties. More affordable and reliable than a Healy 3000, and power windows to boot!
    Last edited by John#; 09-19-2017 at 05:23 PM.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    The only way you're making money with a car is to buy a nice car for cheap that needs some work.

With a high mileage car, just fix up things, drive it and enjoy. A 250k mile car is worth very little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    M-Roadster
    With OP disappearing, I would refrain from further contribution until he reappears. He has a few open questions.

Note 8/Tapatalk.

Stuff. I got stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast