Thread: Must have tools?

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is

Must have tools?

What are some of the must have tools you have come to need when working on your BMW beside the basic, wrenches and sockets? Looking to make a list for newcomers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Metric sockets, torque wrench, screw drivers, ratcheting wrenches, mig welder, extensions, torque sockets, reverse torque sockets, jack stands, low profile jack, dremel, angle grinder, safety glasses...that's off the top of my head of tools I regularly have used on mine.
    Last edited by CblockM3; 09-17-2017 at 06:12 PM.
    CBlock

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    +1 for the mig welder and metal cutting tools. Also a hydraulic press, engine hoist, and engine stand. I use my dremel a ton also.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Perhaps more practical would be a master thread tap and die set. Ive run into a few stripped bolts now.

- - - Updated - - -

Breaker bar and torque wrench. A set of socket swivels, about 4 feet of extensions, and a gas torch (either propane or maap)

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    The only things I have specifically BMW is the Sealey trailing arm bush tool and an ADS interface + Diagnostics. A copy of TIS as seen on ebay is better than the online translated ones

You start off with the basics and make or acquire what you need over time
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    96 318ti
    if you have a clutch fan, then you will want a big ass wrench...like 32mm one... if you want to work on most things under the hood. homedepo sells them at a good price
    DIY 96Z3 (M44): Drive Belts, Starter, H2O Pump
    DIY 00ZM (S52): Gauges: clock, battery, oil

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Actually, you need the tools for the job you need to do next, not the tools we all suggest then find you have no money for the parts or tools you need when a job comes along
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    99 M3 Vert
    Lots of 10mm sockets.

My Cars
    Nil BMWs as of 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Actually, you need the tools for the job you need to do next, not the tools we all suggest then find you have no money for the parts or tools you need when a job comes along
    Exactly. Have found thus far a socket set and screwdriver set go a long way for most simple DIY tasks a beginner might tackle.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    +1 couldn't have said it better. Instead of quantity buy quality. Start with a high quality socket set and combo wrenches from 8-20mm. A decent set of regular and Phillips screwdriver. A quality jack and jack stands. Buy the rest as you need them. I love my hydraulic press and engine hoist but most e36 owners will never need one enough to spend that kind of money.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    The German tool industry must have strong armed BMW to use every size nut and bolt head. In my experience, most manufacturers will heavily favor a few sizes but BMW gives them all there day in the sun l, internal and external torx included. I can't remember what part it was, but I ran into some 11mm recently. Who the hell uses an 11?
    I agree with getting tools as needed and find out what loaner tools are available from you nearest auto parts stores. Get a complete set of metric wrenches and sockets including a sturdy pull handle (breaker bar). Many Utube videos are out there for common repairs and the often list every tool needed so you can have them before you start. Also be patient with stuck fasteners, use a combination of tapping, penetraling oil, heat and working a fastener back and forth to avoid wringing/snapping them off.

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    External Torx, buy the set

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    Another vote for just standard set of tools. Buy the fancier stuff when the project comes along. Yes it inflates the price of that particular repair but better than stocking your garage with tools you may never use. Then you wind up like me where I'm becoming the local tool supply for my friends.

Although looking through no one has mentioned tie rod separator, pickle fork, code scanner, dead blow hammer.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I was just changing subframe and diff bushings on my 08 E90 M3. I have 3 sets of female torx sockets. All stopped one size smaller than the subframe bolt. I used a 12 point 14mm socket to get by. As long as you don't impact it you can make do. But I will expand my already very large tool collection.

My Cars
    99 M3, 13 Tundra TRD
    A set of punches and an engineer's hammer.
    Instagram

Current: 99 M3
    Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

My Cars
    E36 328is, E39 M5
    An extendable magnet pickup wand. It will save you hours of cursing.
    Lime Rock Park... the most fun you can have in a mile and a half.

My Cars
    Datsun 1976 280z
    Must haves: Torx socket set.
    Allen socket set.
    Metric socket set up to 27mm. Ideally a 32mm socket to get the hydraulic tensioner.
    A 22mm crows foot for the o2 sensors (Although if yours are completely fucked up you may strip the sensor so it may be worth investing in a dedicated o2 sensor socket).
    Spark plug socket.
    Ratchet with rotating/tilting head. <-- you'll never go back to a regular ratchet again.
    Multimeter.
    Jack.
    Jackstands.
    A baby ratchet like 3"-4" in length.
    Nice to have: A mechanics creeper has been more helpful than I'd like to admit. Fast orange and simple green to get the shit off your hands. Maybe some motorcycle gloves that have the carbon fiber knuckle reinforcement for when you know you're going to be doing some real knuckle bashing.
    Last edited by MazerRackham; 09-22-2017 at 03:57 AM.

My Cars
    BMW
    I've used my BFH way too many times than I should admit.... That being said my guys have put together a little "BMW Essential Tool Kit" that's loaded with a hand full of "not so normal" tools that we've found to be handy over the years; 27mm 6-Point Socket, 30mm 12-Point Deep Socket, 36mm 12-Point Deep Socket, M18 Triple Square, and a BMW 14/17mm Service Wrench.

-James

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    A laptop with INPA, DIS, GT1 etc. for OBD2 cars

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto Parts Guy View Post
    A laptop with INPA, DIS, GT1 etc. for OBD2 cars
    Nobody has a laptop with GT1, the correct model of laptop and software and interface is GT1, therefore you can't put GT1on a laptop.

Also no E36 is fully OBDII. OBDII is an engine standard anyway, so that means even on "ODBII cars" The instrument cluster and various other modules are ADS.

I do agree though, INPA, NCSEXPERT at a minimum and if you don't have a serial port a VAG COM / KKL / ODBII cable, unmodified, preferably with the FTDI232RL chipset and a 16 pin tot 20 pin adapter will do if you don't want to access the ADS modules.
    Last edited by E36328Coupe; 09-24-2017 at 10:01 AM.