Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 91' 318IS revival

My Cars
    2001 740i

91' 318IS revival

I figured it was time to start a new thread on this. I picked up this E30 a couple of weeks ago which was being scrapped. I wasn't looking for one, just happened to be driving past a shop and saw it sitting in a parking lot. Car wouldn't start due to a bad fuel pump and owner decided not to fix it. At first sight it looked pretty beat but closer inspection revealed a pretty clean body and undercarriage. Interior was covered in trash though.

When I inquired about the car the shop owner said it he would sell it to me for the price of scrap so naturally I had to have it. Worst case I part it out and scrap the rest.

After getting it home and swapping a fuel pump for a Walbro it fired right up.

The car does need quite a bit of work as it was neglected by the previous owner. I am planning on slowly bringing it back to life and doing small upgrades but mostly keeping it stock (famous last words).

If there any Jalopnik readers on here you may have seen it already. http://jalopnik.com/what-the-hell-is...-us-1802714329

I managed to fill up 2 large bags of trash with junk that was left inside the car. I think all the crap actually preserved the interior rather well because seats and dashboard looked pretty clean.

After getting it running I decided to see if the paint could be saved. Couple hours later it was looking pretty good.

I will probably be ripping the whole car apart by the looks of it, cleaning up, refurbishing and painting all the parts, replacing whatever is worn and reassembling.

If anyone has any E30 parts laying around they are looking to unload I am looking for a few bits right off the bat (and that's before even taking the wheels off ).

- - - Updated - - -

Finally got a chance to pop the wheels off and get a closer look at the suspension and brakes.

Brakes look like they were recently done. Front strut is leaking so those will be getting replaced. Ball joints and tie rods are iffy so those will get swapped too.

Front swaybar links are mint though. I guess I might as well get a set of Addcos for it.

Anyone know where this connector goes? It was hanging off the rear end.

So far here is my shopping list.

Also, where is the best place to jack these cars in the rear and place jackstands?
    1991 318is
    2001 740i

My Cars
    A couple of hooptys
    That wire is most likely to the brake pad wear sensor, located in the right-rear (also one in front-left) caliper's brake pads. Look up replacing those sensors (or disabling them if that's a route you want to choose). Best place to set the rear stands is on the rear subframe, not far from where you've got your jack. Lift the rear of the car from the diff so you can get both sides in the air at once, then set your stands. Clean car; nice project! Hopefully that subframe isn't a show of the rust in the rest of the car.

1997 328i/4/5 - Cosmosschwarz Metallic on Dove Grey - Auto/Manual Swap - M3 Bilstein Sport/H&R Sports (95 M3 mounts) - Offset M3 LCAB - 20mm M3 rear sway bar - X-Brace - AA Tuning Strut Tower Bar - Rogue Engineering RSM - Dinan Cat-Back - 3.38 LSD - E46 330 front/328 rear brakes - SS Brake Lines - E36 fitment Style 42's (staggered) - M3 Front Bumper - M3 side moldings - M3 Rear Diffuser - DJ Auto Headlights (6k HIDS) - Frenched Fogs - OEM Clear Tails - E65 Rearview Mirror (Homelink controls + Autodim) - Alpine Type S Cabin Speakers (6x9 Retrofit) - 8" JVC woofer - Black Kidneys - Red Needles/Chrome Gauge Rings - OEM Alarm - Full Interior/Trunk LED Lighting - Mishimoto Full-Aluminum Radiator - More to Come!

My Cars
    '09E90 LCi 320d, '98 E36
    Nice project, nicer V70

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    91 318is. 88 325 vert
    Original 18 is...hell of a find. Those cars are going up in value these days. How many miles on the motor?

My Cars
    2001 740i
    There are a couple of rust spots on the body which will need attention but undercarriage is pretty solid. It's been oil sprayed as well as factory undercoating protected it rather well. Car has 329000 km or 205000 miles or so.
    1991 318is
    2001 740i

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Very nice
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    1991 325iC
    Heya, fellow Jalopnik here. Did you ever find out what that thing was in your trunk?

Also if you decide to give up and throw in the towel, I'll take all your interior bits. ;-P

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCathedral View Post
    Heya, fellow Jalopnik here. Did you ever find out what that thing was in your trunk?

Also if you decide to give up and throw in the towel, I'll take all your interior bits. ;-P
    Yes, I did actually. When we ripped that box apart there was a circuit board with a brand name. Turned out to be snake oil generator aka hydrogen injection system.

Anyone know what BMW used to coat the wheel wells? Looks like some sort of rubbery coating, almost like seam sealer.
    Last edited by bymep; 09-18-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    1991 318is
    2001 740i

My Cars
    '91 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by bymep View Post
    Yes, I did actually. When we ripped that box apart there was a circuit board with a brand name. Turned out to be snake oil generator aka hydrogen injection system.

Anyone know what BMW used to coat the wheel wells? Looks like some sort of rubbery coating, almost like seam sealer.
    3M Body Schutz

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    no idea on the wheel wells but nice car. good deal for the price of scrap
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    BMW
    Nice find! Congrats on the project!

And bingo on 3M Body Schutz, it's a cross between a spray on rubber and truck bed type coating.

-James

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Thanks for the info. Will have to pick some of that stuff up.

While disassembling rear suspension I managed to strip the threads on one of the wheel hubs. I am seeing a couple of different part numbers available. What's the difference between the 2 other than price?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ar-33411131121
    https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...325ees-325iis/
    Last edited by bymep; 09-21-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    1991 318is
    2001 740i

My Cars
    no idea here, the page doesn't open. maybe one has the teeth for the antilock brake sensor to read and the other doesn't?
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Sorry, I updated the post. Different part numbers but they look the same. I found a post on another forum saying that one is for earlier models and one for later to fit different size rotors?
    1991 318is
    2001 740i

My Cars
    ohhhh, cool
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    This weekend I tore apart the rear suspension and dropped the subframe.

Now, I have a question. Rear subframe aluminum mounts sheared off inside the body on both sides of the car. I found these images online. The large washer shown here is still attached to the body on my car. Is it suppose to come off or not?

I am planning on replacing all the bushings with polyurethane or delrin. So far all the bushings that I found do not have this large metal washer. Do I have to reuse it or leave it off?
    1991 318is
    2001 740i

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325IX
    Glad you asked this question. I’m in the middle of doing exactly this myself and was hoping for a clear answer from someone. Right now, I’m assuming you *dont* use the washer/cap because I’ve watched several YouTube videos of people installing Powerflex subframe bushings and in none of them (including one by Bavarian Auto) do they mention using it.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i

Now, I have a question. Rear subframe aluminum mounts sheared off inside the body on both sides of the car.
    Are you referring to the mounting bolts that go up through the body ? Those bolts are removed by removing the rear seat bottom in the car and driving them up into the car from underneath. Normally accomplished by threading the lower mount nuts back on to the very bottom of the mount bolt, and whacking with a BFH, then fish them out of the mount holes inside the car. They will need replaced if you cut or otherwise damaged them.

I found these images online. The large washer shown here is still attached to the body on my car. Is it suppose to come off or not?
    Yes you are gonna want that washer. It's essentially the upper subframe bushing mount pad. It often fuses to the bushing like it is shown in your pic as the inner bushing and washer are different metals. Mine were fused as well. A couple little pry bars made short work of it. A little heat might not hurt either, tho mine didn't need it.

My Cars
    '91 318is

Now, I have a question. Rear subframe aluminum mounts sheared off inside the body on both sides of the car. I found these images online. The large washer shown here is still attached to the body on my car. Is it suppose to come off or not?

I am planning on replacing all the bushings with polyurethane or delrin. So far all the bushings that I found do not have this large metal washer. Do I have to reuse it or leave it off?
    they aren't expensive new from BMW

item #12:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=33_0213
    Last edited by jrobie79; 09-26-2017 at 11:10 AM.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Also, where is the best place to jack these cars in the rear and place jackstands?
    surprised no one jumped at this lol

click on the thunbnail. gotta be the most famous e30 pic on the internet.

Jackpoints.jpg
    Last edited by 82eye; 09-26-2017 at 03:05 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Thanks for that pic. I saw it online earlier.

Another question. I discovered a rust hole in the fuel tank near a filler neck so I need to replace it. Looking on RockAuto I am not seeing a listing for a 318IS tank. I see them for 318I and 325 but nothing for IS. Do those use same tanks? I see a couple options available. 14.5 gallon with a single hole on top for fuel pump/sender or 16.6 gallon with 2 holes. Is it simply a matter of figuring out how many holes I have on top of mine for the fuel pump/sender and ordering that tank or does 318IS use a unique tank?
    1991 318is
    2001 740i

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    Thanks for that pic. I saw it online earlier.

Another question. I discovered a rust hole in the fuel tank near a filler neck so I need to replace it. Looking on RockAuto I am not seeing a listing for a 318IS tank. I see them for 318I and 325 but nothing for IS. Do those use same tanks? I see a couple options available. 14.5 gallon with a single hole on top for fuel pump/sender or 16.6 gallon with 2 holes. Is it simply a matter of figuring out how many holes I have on top of mine for the fuel pump/sender and ordering that tank or does 318IS use a unique tank?
    Start using realoem.com to look at parts diagrams and compare part numbers. You can probably find your answer there.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecatmilton View Post
    Start using realoem.com to look at parts diagrams and compare part numbers. You can probably find your answer there.
    Bookmarked, thanks.
    1991 318is
    2001 740i

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Time for an update.

I hate rust and once I started poking I found some not so nice surprises. It's great that BMW covers the whole undercarriage in seam sealer. Not so great when moisture gets under it and rusts from inside out.

This was the scene when I pulled rear of the car apart and scraped off the seam sealer from all visible rust areas. There are a couple of holes near rear spring mounts. One of the cross beams is iffy and a couple small holes in the floor where brackets for gas tank and fuel hoses were welded in.

Fuel tank vapor hose tube was also rusted so that was first area that I repaired. Cut out rust, fabricated a patch panel then welded it. After that 2 coats of DOM16 which will be covered with seam sealer.

Rear axle and control arms were ground down and wirebrushed to be as close to bare metal as possible then covered in 2 coats of DOM16 followed by a coat of Trem Clad.

Leaky diff ripped apart and cleaned up. Diff housing and flanges will also be stripped of rust and DOM16 coating applied.

Rear wheel calipers were soaked in a Metal Rescue solution bath for a couple of days to get them down to bare metal. I will be painting those later on.

Next up I started patching up holes in the floor. The procedure is simple. Cut the rusty panel out, fab up a patch panel, butt weld it in place. 2 coats of DOM16, followed by seam sealer. Any metal that has surface rust and not rusted through gets ground down or wirebrushed to bare metal then covered in DOM16.

More updates to come.
    1991 318is
    2001 740i

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Progress is being made slowly but surely. One of the cross beams that sits between spring supports was quite rusty so I decided to replace it entirely. I wasn't able to find a part number for it so it will be fabricated.

Rear seat belt buckle mounts had to be removed as well. I also had to weld a couple small patches in driver side frame rail around spring mount since they were soft.

Meanwhile I've been accumulating new parts. The box in my basement is starting to grow rather quickly.

1991 318is
    2001 740i

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast