Thread: '04 330ci stalls

My Cars
    04 330ci

'04 330ci stalls

So approximately 2 months ago I purchased an 04 330ci. Since then, almost everyday the engine cuts off after about 20 miles, will start back up drive about another 5 miles and and then cut off even more frequently afterwards but it always restarts after a few minutes, however many I'm never stranded for more than 10-15 minutes. There are no warning lights EVER there are no codes, in doing my research I even had the fuel pump replaced to no avail. Still doing research, I'm almost convinced it's the crankshaft position sensor because the other symtom is vibrations during idle. I'm wondering if anyone else has these issues and if so, what was your solution

Thanks in advance,
    Isaiah

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Test your fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Get a scanner that can read the live data. Focus on fuel trims to start. Might be a clogged fuel filter or faulty MAF or vacuum leak or a dozen other items. Don't start throwing parts at it. That gets very expensive very fast. Its a waste of time and energy. Do some proper diagnostics and you should quickly determine your problem.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Throwing parts at a problem doesn't fix the problem, wastes money and angers the BMW goddesses. If you have a smartphone or a tablet download OBDFusion. It comes in iOS and android flavors. iOS uses a wifi adapter, while android uses a Bluetooth adapter. The adapter plugs into the obd2 port under the dash. Go to E46Fanatics and search for threads on OBDFusion in which jfoj has commented. He's the OBDFusion guru. I'm betting your fuel pump is going bad. But scan the engine conputer (DME) and get some data first.

My Cars
    04 330ci
    I've done all of the the obd reading and says everything is normal, then I start driving and it stalls after a few miles and starts like it was nothing to begin with

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Imwill View Post
    I've done all of the the obd reading and says everything is normal, then I start driving and it stalls after a few miles and starts like it was nothing to begin with
    Sounds like symptom of a bad maf sensor. Unplug it, and drive around for a few days if it stop stalling on you then you have a bad maf sensor.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The next step is to check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. It needs to be at least 50psi at the all engine speeds. Item#2 in the link is the cap to fuel pressure test valve.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_0900

My Cars
    04 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by asianvenom View Post
    Sounds like symptom of a bad maf sensor. Unplug it, and drive around for a few days if it stop stalling on you then you have a bad maf sensor.
    You were right that was part of it. Check engine light came on and it's sad to say I was relieved. It IS the crankshaft sensor, MAF, and the intake temperature sensor. I'm just happy I finally got closure lol soon to be fixed, as of Monday. Thank you guys for all the help

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Imwill View Post
    You were right that was part of it. Check engine light came on and it's sad to say I was relieved. It IS the crankshaft sensor, MAF, and the intake temperature sensor. I'm just happy I finally got closure lol soon to be fixed, as of Monday. Thank you guys for all the help
    Surprised all those failures didn't Give out ONE code.. :-:

My Cars
    04 330ci
    I changed the crankshaft sensor and it didn't fix the stalling issue. The MAF/IAT should be here this were (to my surprise they're one piece) I guess I'll post my results when it gets here :'(

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The MAF in facelift E46s has the IAT sensor.