Thread: Transmission -Can it Be Repaired?

My Cars
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Transmission -Can it Be Repaired?

(second thread I have started in 24 hours; since the 2 issues are totally distinct I thought they'd need separate threads. Hoping not to cause excess clutter going forward... appreciate the understanding Gentlemen).

In the other thread I have spoken of my steering problems
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...is-it-the-rack
    and here I would like to ask you all about the transmission issues please. This one will be shorter:

I have a 1984 3.20i with the M20B30, stroked to 2.8 liters.
    The engine produces very lovely torque and pulls hard. I have no dyno figures, but can share one observation to give you an idea: In 1st gear on a flat surface, the car will move forward with no stutter or danger of stalling, by simply moving your foot off the clutch- no need to touch the gas. This is happening with idle revs of 800-850 or so by the way.

Maybe because the engine produces such higher torque than factory specs or maybe due to abuse over the years, the transmission is pretty nasty though. There is no popping off gears, but I have a good amount of whine. I would not say the whine is crazy but it is there. In addition the car will go into gear with some difficulty -again nothing super crazy yet, but I would call the shift quality pretty bad. There is no grinding noise of any kind; rather pushing the lever into the right position is hard as it feels like it is going through some good amount of resistance while being pushed into place.
    Now this brings up the following interesting point of course: There is no grinding yet, but maybe that is because I am simply unable (and unwilling) to do a quick shift. Having to push like this, the car spends a good amount of time between gears. Maybe there would have been grinding if I was actually able to shift quickly.

I am told by everyone not to try and get the current transmission fixed and that buying a new one is an easier and likely cheaper solution. OK, prices for used units are reasonable. However, nobody is able to tell, just by looking at a used transmission what the shift quality will be like.

So 2 questions really;
    How does one buy a used transmission with any kind of confidence? Is there any way to tell before installing the damn thing?
    and is there any point at all in trying to get this transmission fixed?

Thanks to all

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    1. You really can't. Used transmissions are always a crap shoot. Best you can do is get one with some kind of warranty but you're still unlikely to have labor covered. And if you find one with labor covered and it sounds like an unbelievable deal, research the company offering it.
    2. That depends on the rest of the car. But probably not.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    2004 Pontiac GTO
    richardodn, thanks a lot Sir
    Now that is not good news, but hearing from you guys, who know these cars, is awesome

can one buy a brand new transmission for a E30? I looked around and saw some units for crazy expensive prices for sale in the UK; does anything exist at somewhat reasonable prices over at Europe?
    Thanks again

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    What about a rebuild job? I had the zf auto trans in my e39 rebuilt with good results.

My Cars
    F10 6spd 3 E305speed
    Check this ad out I know the seller and the car. https://newjersey.craigslist.org/pts/6310169607.html

Quote Originally Posted by omoplata View Post
    (second thread I have started in 24 hours; since the 2 issues are totally distinct I thought they'd need separate threads. Hoping not to cause excess clutter going forward... appreciate the understanding Gentlemen).

In the other thread I have spoken of my steering problems
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...is-it-the-rack
    and here I would like to ask you all about the transmission issues please. This one will be shorter:

I have a 1984 3.20i with the M20B30, stroked to 2.8 liters.
    The engine produces very lovely torque and pulls hard. I have no dyno figures, but can share one observation to give you an idea: In 1st gear on a flat surface, the car will move forward with no stutter or danger of stalling, by simply moving your foot off the clutch- no need to touch the gas. This is happening with idle revs of 800-850 or so by the way.

Maybe because the engine produces such higher torque than factory specs or maybe due to abuse over the years, the transmission is pretty nasty though. There is no popping off gears, but I have a good amount of whine. I would not say the whine is crazy but it is there. In addition the car will go into gear with some difficulty -again nothing super crazy yet, but I would call the shift quality pretty bad. There is no grinding noise of any kind; rather pushing the lever into the right position is hard as it feels like it is going through some good amount of resistance while being pushed into place.
    Now this brings up the following interesting point of course: There is no grinding yet, but maybe that is because I am simply unable (and unwilling) to do a quick shift. Having to push like this, the car spends a good amount of time between gears. Maybe there would have been grinding if I was actually able to shift quickly.

I am told by everyone not to try and get the current transmission fixed and that buying a new one is an easier and likely cheaper solution. OK, prices for used units are reasonable. However, nobody is able to tell, just by looking at a used transmission what the shift quality will be like.

So 2 questions really;
    How does one buy a used transmission with any kind of confidence? Is there any way to tell before installing the damn thing?
    and is there any point at all in trying to get this transmission fixed?

Thanks to all

My Cars
    2004 Pontiac GTO
    Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    What about a rebuild job? I had the zf auto trans in my e39 rebuilt with good results.
    When I said repair, that is what I mean.
    By the way, as a general rule, is it easier to do a transmission rebuild on an auto or a manual?

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    I think manuals are easier because they are not run off line pressures or hydraulic pressure in the system. from my very limited experience with having a trans rebuilt, the autos never ran right because something was always larger than it was supposed to be somewhere hidden and it caused problems shifting (or not shifting)
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 325is
    I used a rebuilt in my Spec E30 and was completely satisfied with the rebuild job. I used http://www.drive-gear.com/ for the rebuild.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    2004 Pontiac GTO
    Quote Originally Posted by thejlevie View Post
    I used a rebuilt in my Spec E30 and was completely satisfied with the rebuild job. I used http://www.drive-gear.com/ for the rebuild.
    Is it OK to share how much this cost you?

Thanks a lot