Thread: obd1 or obd2 how to tell?

My Cars
    bmw 325i e30

obd 1 or obd2

How do you tell if your e36 is obd1 or obd2?
    built late 95, no d connector under dash, vin decoder doesnt say anything, can't seem to find anything on real oem.
    Last edited by tim96; 09-16-2017 at 08:05 PM.

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    Chances are, if theres no OBD under the dash and you have a diagnostic port under the hood in front of your power distribution box, then you are OBD 1. I have a 318 with a production date of 8/95 and it is indeed OBD 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    OBD II standard defines the diagnostic socket shape. Therefore if you don't have the socket it's not compliant.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    bmw 325i e30
    m42 motor, build date 9/95, stomp test doesn't work.

How do I get codes?

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    ALL CARS MANUFACTURED FOR SALE IN THE 1996 MODEL YEAR, OR LATER, ARE OBD II.

The '96 model year began production in September of 1995. Look at the VIN, the 10th digit indicates the model year. Look at the door jamb, there is a sticker on it that gives the VIN, and it also indicates the Production Date.

- - - Updated - - -

ALL CARS MANUFACTURED FOR SALE IN THE 1996 MODEL YEAR, OR LATER, ARE OBD II.

The '96 model year began production in September of 1995. Look at the VIN, the 10th digit indicates the model year. Look at the door jamb, there is a sticker on it that gives the VIN, and it also indicates the Production Date.

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind. I gave information that is only true for the USA.

Just because you are having trouble getting the stomp test to work does not mean the stomp test does not work. I think the M42 is an OBD I motor, so the stomp test should do the trick.

Turn the key to Position II (RUN) before Engine Start and fully depress and release the gas pedal 5 times within 5 seconds. It is hard to do.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    ^ Euro spec cars, which they probably had in NZ had the wire from the X20 IIRC it's name, to the cluster left out. On the 94 325 the stomp tests were still in the ECU and you just added the wire and bulb OR use a test lamp on the connector (switched earth) or use an ADS interface for the Motronic with tweaked INPA files
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    bmw 325i e30
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    ^ Euro spec cars, which they probably had in NZ had the wire from the X20 IIRC it's name, to the cluster left out. On the 94 325 the stomp tests were still in the ECU and you just added the wire and bulb OR use a test lamp on the connector (switched earth) or use an ADS interface for the Motronic with tweaked INPA files
    I think you are right, I have done it to an e30 before. Seems stupid having such a feature in the car that isn't hooked up? Will try remember how I did it, do I need to connect the bulb direct to the ecu?

Also looking at the carsoft scanner

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    The open standards didn't yet exist in Europe so basically the features were incorporated for US market but it suited the manufacturer to protect their dealers advantage i.e. dealer diagnostics required at a guess

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by tim96 View Post
    I think you are right, I have done it to an e30 before. Seems stupid having such a feature in the car that isn't hooked up? Will try remember how I did it, do I need to connect the bulb direct to the ecu?

Also looking at the carsoft scanner
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...37/index5.html

IIRC green flashing light on my test lamp means switched earth

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    All Euro E36's are OBD1 till the very last day of production. We never got the OBD(II) connector.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    All Euro E36's are OBD1 till the very last day of production. We never got the OBD(II) connector.
    While you are correct what you wrote appears to have nothing to do with what you quoted

My Cars
    Nil BMWs as of 2020
    And what's more, the European specific market also got the 320i. (I'm sure the regulars know exactly where I'm going with this!)

The 320i should have the Siemens MS40.0 or the MS40.1, depending on whether or not you have VANOS. I know some early E36 320i did get the Bosch Motronic DME, but many got the Siemens. This DME is wired completely differently, and has zero support for a Check Engine Light (if you don't believe me, search up the wiring diagrams yourself).
    All diagnostic capabilities are carried out through the connector in the engine bay.

Tim96 - you need to tell us what sort of E36 you have to help us give the right advice. There isn't much point in my waffling about the 320i and Siemens DME when you might have a 325i with the regular Bosch Motronic!

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Wouldn't even European vehicles have the secondary air system on the exhaust for obdll?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    Wouldn't even European vehicles have the secondary air system on the exhaust for obdll?
    Only the M3's have it. 3.0 and 3.2's.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    95. 318i convertible
    I know this is an ancient thread, so please don’t ride me for that. Lol. I have a 1995, 318 I convertible. I have an OBD2 scanner and I bought an OBD one extension connector for it. Plugs in just fine where it supposed to Under the hood driver side. I cannot get it to connect or link with my vehicle. I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong. Position two ignition etc. Car just won’t link and the OBD SAYS: not linked yet again lol. HELP!

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce@gmail.com View Post
    I know this is an ancient thread, so please don’t ride me for that. Lol. I have a 1995, 318 I convertible. I have an OBD2 scanner and I bought an OBD one extension connector for it. Plugs in just fine where it supposed to Under the hood driver side. I cannot get it to connect or link with my vehicle. I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong. Position two ignition etc. Car just won’t link and the OBD SAYS: not linked yet again lol. HELP!
    you need an obdI compliant scanner for it to work. plugging the obdI adapter in to just any obdII reader isn't enough. the reader has to be able to have obdI functionality. look for a reader that can do both obdI and obdII.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce@gmail.com View Post

You cannot use an OBD 2 scan tool on an OBD 1 car. The OBD 1 data stream does not comply with either of the two data streams that OBD 2 accepts. This ignores the idea that the pins do not match.