Thread: Round 3...3rd times a charm...hinrichs M3 build

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe

Round 3...3rd times a charm...hinrichs M3 build

Well been lurking way to long, so decided its time to start a thread to document my progress on my 3rd M3.

My first M3 was the following;

05 M3, Alpine White, Cinnamon, 6MT, Rogue sect 3, SS non res sect 2, blackout kit, KVW2, Rogue RSM, Turner Camber plates, 18x10 18x11 Kinesis Supercups

Ended up selling this one to buy a house. Planned to track it, so I eventually put in a raven cage, and pole position but sold it all.

Then the next one came one. It was a 94 318I with a full S52 swap. Came half complete, missing a lot of little things which I eventually fixed.

Threw in a kirkey cage, host of Hard Motorsport goodies, new coilovers, new sparco seats, and rep wheels. Abrahms wing, cf sunroof delete, stripped interior. Planned to hill climb it....yeah chickened out and sold it. Honestly it was the perfect car to race, but yeah I dont think logically at times when I get a little bored with a project.

- - - Updated - - -

Now onto the current car.

The day I picked it up.

How today went

Oh hey new friend. This was waiting at the painfully slow notary since it was an older style place. I didn't take any pics but they had some rad plates

Not sure how I feel about this wheel, my italvolanti like earl has will prolly go in after I decide if I want another rouge quick release which would bring it a little closer

Then my face hitting the highway. I have to say even with just cats and a straight pipe, it sounds good. Cruising isn't bad which I expected. Took an on ramp and missed the electronic tool, yeah got to the exit and had a nice $35 toll to pay to get home.

So onto the new one, passed it over a few times on Craigslist and then finally just bit the bullet and went to see it.

97 5 speed, lux package with manual vaders added, black interior. 162k on it, stack of receipts from owner before mine of course, said vanos was just changed. It has no muffler and it's loud, also riding on Megan coilovers. Came with a momo wheel and bad installed hub adapter.

Pulled the radio out, and found the nav cds it came with. Someday I'll be putting it back in to test it out. Have the receipt when it was purchase new in 2000.

Some pics today of the car

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe
    This will be more or less a recap till today. Snowball of fun.

So the car had a cel when I bought it, honestly didnt really think anything of it at the time of purchase. Drove home decently was just stupid loud, and had an ebay special short throw.

I decided that had to go...well one thing led into another and I was the new owner of a 3" Bimmerworld race catback with front pipe. I ended up cutting the stock exhaust since it was destroyed anyway. Back end welded on and half rusted through

exhaust 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    exhaust rust by minthinrich, on Flickr
    bw race 3 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    catback by minthinrich, on Flickr

Had to drill out all but one stud, it was wonderful to install. I was swearing the whole time. Also threw in all new shift linkage bushings and a new lever. Figured I may have to work on it again which is why I went with the v-band setup. Exhaust sounds wonderful and really isnt too loud which I like. I did recently try the straight section...yeah hated that one. It will get a cat eventually for when I need to get an inspection done.

Next up was the M50 manifold swap. Used the bimmerworld kit. Easy install, but ended up having the intake off like 25 times now for all different things. I am getting kinda good at it. Got the mani off ebay for $120 I think shipped. Also deleted ACS and went with the 3" bimmerworld intake 90 at the same time. Car came with the intake on it which I think was from bavauto. I have the original invoice in my records that came with the car.

engine by minthinrich, on Flickr
    intake 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    intake 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    M50 COMPARISON by minthinrich, on Flickr
    M50 INSTALL by minthinrich, on Flickr
    M50 INSTALL 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    MISSING COVER by minthinrich, on Flickr

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Owner seems to be a happy guy.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Owner seems to be a happy guy.
    I was at first, then hated the car for a while. Now getting back to that happy place.

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe
    Lost all pictures of this, but in my hunt to fix a bad TPS sensor, figuring it was engine wiring...I threw in a new used full engine harness. Glad it was rather easy still never fixed the problem. Ended up giving up and taking it to a shop. The cause was some sensor in the rear that was somehow shorting out the whole system. At least I have new cam sensors, wiring, and tps sensors. Along this way I also added some billet throttle cable bushing things and deleted my working cruise control.

throttle bushing by minthinrich, on Flickr
    kassel ecu by minthinrich, on Flickr
    dirty 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Didnt plan on buying this, but found a good deal on a used Kirk 4-point semi local to me, so went and picked it up. Seats over the winter. Also threw in one of my old sparco harness that I had laying around for years. I know its out of date, and it will be replaced.

cage 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    cage 3 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    cage stock seats by minthinrich, on Flickr
    blue harness by minthinrich, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -

Took a pic with my other money pit. Swapped some wheels around. Sold the stock ones.

standoff by minthinrich, on Flickr
    red wheels by minthinrich, on Flickr

Fan blew up checking the coolant, upgraded to the CSF OE plus rad, and electric fan. I am running the stock shroud as well, no pics.

fan 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    fan install by minthinrich, on Flickr
    fan wiring 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    fan wiring 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -

Now onto the new wheels. I was going to get reps, and couldnt make up my mind. After selling some jeep parts, I ordered up some Kosei K1 17x8.5 and some Continental Extreme Contact sport 245/40. I had them in 2 days I think which was amazing from tirerack, or maybe it was even one day. It was crazy.

kosei 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    kosei 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    WHEELS 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    786_28de53b2cd_c.jpg[/img]kosei 3 by minthinrich, on Flickr

WHEELS 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Last edited by Hinrichs; 09-22-2017 at 10:03 AM.