Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ebay crank girdles

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by dcvee View Post
    No wonder your wife doesn't argue with you....she's probably tired of getting shit through your thick skull. I know I am...too many years of you
    being an asshole.
    Don

- - - Updated - - -

No shit...that was the joke. No wonder you call yourself "DEF".

Don
    Can you show me on this doll where this thread hurt you?

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    Can you show me on this doll where this thread hurt you?
    Semi-serious question: why do you come here? As far as I can tell, you've never built a BMW with FI, don't plan to because you think they're old and beat up shit, and everyone here is a moron doing it wrong. Doesn't really add up. I mean, I personally appreciate your input when you're not being a prick but that's so rare that I don't get why you want to upset yourself so much. Seems like you'd be a lot happier on a forum with properly engineered engines and intelligent members.

My Cars
    '97 M3

You guys have your man girdles too tight.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    Semi-serious question: why do you come here? As far as I can tell, you've never built a BMW with FI, don't plan to because you think they're old and beat up shit, and everyone here is a moron doing it wrong. Doesn't really add up. I mean, I personally appreciate your input when you're not being a prick but that's so rare that I don't get why you want to upset yourself so much. Seems like you'd be a lot happier on a forum with properly engineered engines and intelligent members.
    Wow, I had no idea I was causing so much angst on the BF.c FI forum...

I do drive a BMW with an N55 everyday, but I guess I missed the memo that a turbo I6 BMW doesn't count if it came from the factory that way.

As for why I visit, I stop by every once in a while for the few threads that are interesting. Just like any other internet forum I go to. You guys just took so much offense over some general statements of what a crank girdle does, thinking I'm demanding you run a crank girdle. I never did anything of the sort, so I still don't get why you guys are so emotional over the whole thing.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    It's not angst, just confusion. You have very condescending opinions about something you don't actually participate in. I didn't say you don't own a FI BMW, that's not a mandatory part of the basis for a sensible reason to be here. I said you never have and don't appear to intend to ever build one because of your apparent disdain for the engines and the people here. So you basically just come here to casually shit on people for your amusement?

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    It's not angst, just confusion. You have very condescending opinions about something you don't actually participate in. I didn't say you don't own a FI BMW, that's not a mandatory part of the basis for a sensible reason to be here. I said you never have and don't appear to intend to ever build one because of your apparent disdain for the engines and the people here. So you basically just come here to casually shit on people for your amusement?
    Since when do I have a disdain for M5x engines? I owned two E36 M3s and liked the S52 very much. I also like a lot of the posters on here, so I'm not sure why you think I'm coming in here to "shit on people." My E70 is also lightly modded, wasn't aware I had to achieve some sort of "minimum modding level" to participate in the forum...

I explained what a crank girdle does, and how it does have technical benefits, some people wanted to twist that into me saying it had to be used on a FI M5x engine - I never agreed with that statement and said it's up to the person doing the build to determine if it's worth it for them. Then much butthurt followed where people acted like I kicked their puppy.

You're really not going to unearth some nefarious reason for me posting in here, so if you really feel that emotional about the whole thing, just chalk it up to a misunderstanding of what I was saying. If some posters are going to post some snarky comments and throw stones, be prepared for a little coming back at you. Seems that second half is why some people have their panties in a twist.

My Cars
    86 325es
    Can we redirect the conversation back from "I don't know why people don't like it when you call them stupid" back to "should I buy this stud girdle on ebay to put on my M50?"

Don you have built a bunch of these things, whats your opnion on using a stud girdle on a high hp m50. Say were are building an m52 with a goal of 900 whp. Would you add one to the build? What in your experience suggests it is or is not needed.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    I did a bunch of research looking into crank girdles last year, I was going to run one with the s52 crank and rev to 7600, but then I decided to stay with the shorter stroke and keep it simple.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    Can we redirect the conversation back from "I don't know why people don't like it when you call them stupid" back to "should I buy this stud girdle on ebay to put on my M50?"

Don you have built a bunch of these things, whats your opnion on using a stud girdle on a high hp m50. Say were are building an m52 with a goal of 900 whp. Would you add one to the build? What in your experience suggests it is or is not needed.
    Don is retired, he ain't going to answer these loaded questions.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post

It'll remain one of life's great mysteries...

Quote Originally Posted by E36 HateR View Post
    I did a bunch of research looking into crank girdles last year, I was going to run one with the s52 crank and rev to 7600, but then I decided to stay with the shorter stroke and keep it simple.
    The 2nd order bending mode is passed around 7000-7400 RPM for an S52. It wrecks stuff in short order unless you've spending exceedingly brief periods of time there due to torsional vibes. Main bearings, oil pumps, etc. A girdle can't help that much unfortunately.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    Don is retired, he ain't going to answer these loaded questions.
    Here he comes now.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by dcvee View Post
    They make a great washer for the main cap screws while adding weight to the bottom end of the motor and lowering the cog of the car!!

In this application, I'm sure they provide a solution. The question is, to what?
    Don
    Don already gave his perspective.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by milKt View Post

Here he comes now.
    I have a bone to pick with him. When I built my engine, I of course was bugging him for his experience and expertise. #1 he was always prompt and reliable to answer my questions within minutes. #2 He took the time to help and learn me on a few things I needed confirmation with.
    To me this is uncalled for, unorthodox BFC behavior. No one should have the ability to call a well known and respected engine builder at all hours if the night without being compensated.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    I have a bone to pick with him. When I built my engine, I of course was bugging him for his experience and expertise. #1 he was always prompt and reliable to answer my questions within minutes. #2 He took the time to help and learn me on a few things I needed confirmation with.
    To me this is uncalled for, unorthodox BFC behavior. No one should have the ability to call a well known and respected engine builder at all hours if the night without being compensated.
    Yeah him and Perry need to GTFO, they don't belong. You too for that matter.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo

Yeah him and Perry need to GTFO, they don't belong. You too for that matter.
    Although its an honor for you to put me in the same sentence with those 2 icons, I really am not a fan of "untouchables". Meaning, those that think they have some right to not help those in need. I understand people get busy, but it burns my ass when I know dam well people with an answer to someone's question just sits back and watches it unfold while they only choose to update " their thread " or play in OT with their buddies.
    I for the most part have gone out of my way to help, mostly through text, and phone conversations. Helping those sort out their issues that clearly should be helped by a tuner or one getting paid. I do this cause I have been on the other side. I also know the value of a dollar and what goes into these builds. I would hate to watch someone blow up their crap cause I didn't want to help. Sure we can all say "well they should have learned first". But the fact of the matter is, these cars are cheap now, even building them are cheap. What's not cheap and has stayed consistent is detonation. That's the constant. Younger guys with a lot of energy are the future of e36 turbos. Just the fact that these haven't died out is great.
    Don, Perry, Pbonsalb and other real die hard enthusiasts will always be there to help. They are the reasons why people are still interested in turboing these cars. Without having knowledge at your fingertips, people to reach out to when your stuck make you not want to take on the project. Having them in your backyard is even better.

When threads like this pop up, it makes the community seem divided. It makes the lurkers not want to open a thread cause they feel it will start a fight. It shows our ignorance, and reveals our lack of knowledge and oversized egos. Threads like this are the reason why guys like NickG don't login.

#Butters2020
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

Although its an honor for you to put me in the same sentence with those 2 icons, I really am not a fan of "untouchables". Meaning, those that think they have some right to not help those in need. I understand people get busy, but it burns my ass when I know dam well people with an answer to someone's question just sits back and watches it unfold while they only choose to update " their thread " or play in OT with their buddies.
    I for the most part have gone out of my way to help, mostly through text, and phone conversations. Helping those sort out their issues that clearly should be helped by a tuner or one getting paid. I do this cause I have been on the other side. I also know the value of a dollar and what goes into these builds. I would hate to watch someone blow up their crap cause I didn't want to help. Sure we can all say "well they should have learned first". But the fact of the matter is, these cars are cheap now, even building them are cheap. What's not cheap and has stayed consistent is detonation. That's the constant. Younger guys with a lot of energy are the future of e36 turbos. Just the fact that these haven't died out is great.
    Don, Perry, Pbonsalb and other real die hard enthusiasts will always be there to help. They are the reasons why people are still interested in turboing these cars. Without having knowledge at your fingertips, people to reach out to when your stuck make you not want to take on the project. Having them in your backyard is even better.

When threads like this pop up, it makes the community seem divided. It makes the lurkers not want to open a thread cause they feel it will start a fight. It shows our ignorance, and reveals our lack of knowledge and oversized egos. Threads like this are the reason why guys like NickG don't login.

#Butters2020
    exactly!!!!
    1998 Turbo M3 Nick G tuned setting 5 934Whp 849Wtq @27.88 Psi. ignite E90 setting 6=

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123