Thread: Glove compartment clicking noise

My Cars
    1999 740il 1999 528i

Glove compartment clicking noise

Hey guys, pretty new to 740's so bare with me,

just picked up a 99 740il and I'm noticing that when I go into the car in the morning I notice a very rapid clicking/tapping noise coming from under the passenger side of the dash, directly under the glove compartment. It sounds like a relay clicking on and off very quickly. I also notice that the "P" light next to the shifter flashes just as fast and in unison with the relay clicking. I pulled any codes and none were present. is there any common issues with relays and these models? also should mention that the noise isn't coming from the engine bay, its directly coming from the bottom of the dash.

Any info is great! Thanks in advance

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    There are a handful of relays up and behind the glove box. Aux fan, unloader and circuit cutoff relays come to mind. The pics I have of it are unavailable right now but here is one from the WDS. Maybe try to feel which one it is. How's your battery? Low voltage likes to mess with this car a great deal.

K72, X13001

behind glove box
    K72 Closed-circuit current cut-off relay
    X13001 Component connector (9-pin, black), Closed-circuit current cut-off relay

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    There are a few things around there. Behind the glovebox there are 4-6 relays and some modules. One of those modules (the horizontal one at the bottom) is the GM (general module), which contains several relays internally.

The "P" light when the car is off is controlled by the "VA" or "consumer cutoff" power, which is provided directly by one of the internal relays in the GM. This power is for things you want still available after ignition has been turned off, but cut off from power after the car has been locked and dormant for a while. Thus the GM will turn off this power after 16 minutes of inactivity, and turn it on with any activity (unlocking, opening a door, etc.).

Other things on this circuit you could check to verify this circuit is the issue would be front and rear map lights, glovebox light, and trunk light.

There are a few likely scenarios I see here:
    1. Most likely, especially since you just got the car - low battery voltage is not providing enough voltage to keep the solenoid in the relay continuously energized. This is also why it would only happen in the morning, after sitting for a while. Battery replacement likely needed.
    2. The relays inside the GM can go bad, but it is really not common.
    3. Another electrical issue providing low voltage to the GM, such as fuse box corrosion under the passenger carpet.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    1999 740Il,1999 Corvette
    I agree, you most likely have a weak battery. Disconnect the cables and slow charge it overnight. Should have over 12 volts in it not connected to the cables. Can you tell how old it is? Are there any add on's, modifications, to the car regarding electrical items? Is it practical to swap batteries from your 5 series to the 7?
    Last edited by carnut1947; 09-15-2017 at 10:49 AM.

My Cars
    1999 740il 1999 528i
    Thanks for the responses guys!

I will definitely try to feel around under there and see if I feel any kind of relay clicking.

Also the battery is the first thing I bought since that was completely dead when I bought the car. Only paid $400 for the car so I took a chance. So I'm not sure if the battery I bought isn't up to par with what the 7 needs.

Also pair, I actually do have issues with the dome lights up front and in the rear when you try to them on individually. Same with the trunk, they're all very very dim, I just assumed the grounds were coroted or something.

My Cars
    1999 740il 1999 528i
    Also no add ons top the vehicle at all

My Cars
    1999 740Il,1999 Corvette
    Swap battery from your other car!