Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: what is a decent "budget" orbital polisher?

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.

what is a decent "budget" orbital polisher?

any recommendations? I have my "regular" buffer in storage that I cannot get for at least two months and I dont really feel like spending $300 on a tool I already have. Lookign to get a machine that does halfway decent quality work on a budget. thanks.

Cliffs: Im too poor at the moment to spend that kind of money on a buffer. recommend something for a cheap ass that wants to detail his car.
    Last edited by m3j0n; 09-14-2017 at 08:37 PM.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    The cheapest you'll find is the Harbour Freight buffer. A coupon can drop the price even more. You'll need a backing plate because the HF one isn't suitable for polishing. Check YouTube and search for Gary Dean. He uses the HF buffer and recommends it.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC View Post
    The cheapest you'll find is the Harbour Freight buffer. A coupon can drop the price even more. You'll need a backing plate because the HF one isn't suitable for polishing. Check YouTube and search for Gary Dean. He uses the HF buffer and recommends it.
    What he said.

I do want to know why you say the HF backing pad isn't suitable for polishing. I have been using it without any damaging affects, but I don't know what I don't know. Tell me what I don't know about the backing pad.

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC View Post
    Thank you! Looks like they have a handful of different ones. Didnt see any info on Gary Deans videos regardign a specific polisher. Any guidance is appreciated. thanks!polisher.jpg
    Last edited by m3j0n; 09-15-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    You want the dual action polisher. Either one of the two in the upper right hand corner.

The two in the lower left are rotary polishers and if you don't know what you are doing it is much easier to damage the paint with one of those. Very difficult to screw up with the HF dual action polisher.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
    Thank you! Looks like they have a handful of different ones. Didnt see any info on Gary Deans videos regardign a specific polisher. Any guidance is appreciated. thanks
    MeJ0n, here's a link where Gary D. compares the HF buffer with the Duetto. Have a look with the model he's using and you'll be able to match it up with one of those $69 units.

Crazy4trains - in the video, Gary explains why he likes the Buff & Shine backing plate and pads. He references the Buff & Shine orange pad the microfiber pads too. Perhaps my 'unsuitability' was a bit harsh. I should have said other pads are better suited. Sometimes I type faster than my brain works but you get the idea I'm thinking. A slightly smaller backing plate, 5 inch instead of 6 inch allows a 5.5 inch pad that'll handle a bit more pressure without bogging down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y040rbJO5UI
    Last edited by JohnZ3MC; 09-16-2017 at 12:52 AM.

My Cars
    1997 740iL, 350Z
    I'm a somewhat avid detailer and love my harbor freight Orbitals. They come in 2 sizes the big and the small.
    Schwarz II • heated steering wheel Style 93 Wheels • Magnaflow high flow cats • Bluetooth • Black kidney grills • LED tail lights • Aluminum throttle bushings • Bazooka sub • 39% tint front 20% rear • Ultimate Cup Holder • Ultra High Perf Summer Tires • Bridgestone Blizzaks •

porter cable......all day......like 120 or under...

I bought one 3 yrs ago.......wow