Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Run-Flats vs. Regular Tires?

My Cars
    2003 330i

Run-Flats vs. Regular Tires?

I've got a 2003 330i with run-flat tires, the rims to support them, and the tire pressure monitoring system. The "Technology" guide that came with the car, when explaining "tires with emergency running characteristics" and referring to the specially designed wheel rim says, "..despite its special configuration, this rim can also be used with standard tires".

Since I need at least 2 new tires (and possibly 4), I'm wondering if I can save some serious money by getting standard tires instead of the run-flats. Obviously, they're not as "fail-safe", and I suppose I'd have to buy a "5th" rim and spare tire, but I'm wondering what you guys think about the pro's and con's of run-flats vs. regular tires.

Also, what's your favorite source for tires? I used tirerack.com in the past, but don't know if they're the best or not.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2002 330Ci (both tops)
    I'm web searching a similar question: Consensus seems to be to replace the run flats with a standard tire, less expense, better ride and handling. Downside is you should probably get a "spare tire kit" including a jack and tools (available from BMW and aftermarket sources, last I heard Tire Rack does not sell one), and/or make sure your roadside assistance policy (auto insurance, AAA, etc.) is paid up so you can call for a repair or ramp truck to "take you home". In your specific case, PLEASE do not mix two run flats and two normal tires, the handling and traction differences are problematic.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    e46 line never came with run flats from the factory.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    OP, check the trunk for a spare or at least a mini-spare. I owned a 2001 330Ci and it had a full sized spare.
    Which tires? Great question. You’re in New Jersey so do you get an appreciable amount of snow? How well does the city/county clear snow from the roads? How hard do you drive the car? I ask because I bought a set of wheels and snows for my 330Ci as it came with Michelin Pilot Sports.
    If you’re looking for tires you can use year round I suggest a set of 4 quality all season tires. Do your research on tire rack and then see if you can get the tires cheaper locally. Check Costco.

I’m partial to Michelin and Bridgestone. And ditch the run flats.