Thread: Walnut Blasting, To do or not to do

My Cars
    335i E93 N54

Walnut Blasting, To do or not to do

Thanks for humoring me all.
    I've researched and read a fair bit of late.

Truth be told, most of my digging was driven by when my car ran so poor.
    Now that my car has new plugs and ignition coils, my car runs soo smooth...

Question is: Should I actually bother doing the Walnut Blasting at this point?
    Or rather, is it more of something you do once the car starts to show symptoms (running poor).

Context: I do plan to JB4 it to +100HP. (just in case that affects the necessity)
    The car does have 190,000km and there is no record of this work being done in the past.
    However, it seems the car was driven nicely as she's still on her original turbos.

Is there a way to check without removing my intake manifold?
    I read somewhere that there is a 'test', but that was as much as that thread stated.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    I've walnut blasted both of my 335s, the first had 107k miles, and my new one has 61k miles. Neither was particularly horrible, though I felt a difference both times. I primarily did it because I had the materials, so it didn't cost me anything. I would be reluctant to shell out ~ $400 unless I had a problem. Some guys have shown 20hp dyno gains from walnut blasting, though that car was pretty bad. I feel better knowing it was done, and being confident that my car is running at its best. It's generally recommended to do it prior to tuning, especially at your mileage. There isn't really a test to check if the car needs it. You really have to pull the intake manifold and have a look at it.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I just did it on my 08 E61 535xi with N54. We bought the car with 30k miles and it is at 120k now. Had never been blasted as far as I know. The intake chambers were a mess. Lots of goo. 1/4 inch thick in places. Had to do a lot of scraping with improvised tools as well as blasting. The blasting is great for carbon but not for goo, at least my siphon blaster.

Made a noticeable difference in driveability. Engine is smoother running under acceleration.

I definitely recommend for a direct injection motor. Optional for port injection but certainly won't hurt. I have not blasted my E36M3 since it is port injection and runs meth injection.